SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pracheeti

Wallpaper for Accent wall in Living/Dining Room

Pracheeti
9 years ago

Will this wallpaper look good on the accent wall behind the mirror? I plan to paint rest of the walls in an Off-white/Cream color

Comments (587)

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Here are more area rugs.

Danny Ivan "Shapes" Aqua Purple Woven Area Rug, 48"x72" · More Info

Agra Handmade Area Rug With Purples and Reds, 8'7x11'4 · More Info

Multi Color Contemporary Rug., Red, Rust, Purple, Light Orange, 9x12 · More Info
    Found these under Houzz red, beige, aqua, purple area rugs.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The last one is very pretty - the same colors as the wallpaper.

Thanks Soosun!

• Related Discussions

Which wallpaper pattern do you prefer for an accent wall

Q

Comments (18)
    It looks like the wallpapers that you have shown us are all over the place. I think you may want to back off and start with creating a color palette that includes the furniture, as well as bedding and flooring. I'm not big on the idea of finding wallpaper first and then designing around it.
    ...See More

DIY Wallpaper accent in a powder room

Q

Comments (4)
    Good advice from Pennydesign about letting it dry for a bit before trimming. I wish I’d known that before my first wallpaper project! Don’t be nervous. Unlike paint, wallpaper can be shifted and adjusted before you smooth it down, so it’s very forgiving. Also, since you’re doing a small area, you’ll probably have some extra paper in case you have to redo a piece. Take your time. You’ll learn as you go, and I bet it will be beautiful.
    ...See More

Which wall should I use an accent wall paper in living room

Q

Comments (6)
    Jenna, the 'Well, duh' was a bit condescending, considering you have given people nothing to look at in an attempt to help you. How can we help you when we have no idea what the room looks like and where the sofa is? Celerygirl does AMAZING mock-ups for people when they supply pictures, so they can see how something will look. We don't know your colors, what your sofa looks like or what the wallpaper looks like. If someone came up to you and said, 'Accent wall.', wouldn't you ask them what they were talking about? Here's an example of a post that gives enough info and a pic, so people can give their opinions - [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/will-a-white-cream-carpet-be-a-mistake-dsvw-vd~5463113?n=48[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/will-a-white-cream-carpet-be-a-mistake-dsvw-vd~5463113?n=48)
    ...See More

Help with dining room coloring/wall paper

Q

Comments (2)
    I would pick color from your rug for upper wall.
    ...See More
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I adore the last one! Stopped looking when I saw it. Not sure about other sizes but the 9 x 12 would probably be fine. Again, mark it out with tape.
    Even though it does not have aqua in it, it has enough of the other values in the room that the painting would work with a few aqua accessories, even if only a pillow and a candle!

I think it looks great with the wall paper which is a large area of the room; this will bring those colors to the other side of hte room.....the purple spot is not to be hidden under any furniture......

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

Nice pics. I will try a few more photoshops on this in the a.m. - Gotta get some sleep, but I will be back.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

Good morning - So here are some to look at. Hope it gives you an idea of what it might be like. Colors are not exact due to lighting ...

As you can see, once you change one element, you have to re-think painting and pillows, other accessories. One more to come.

Pracheeti thanked lessismoore
  • lessismoore
    8 years ago

And the one more.

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

And I really think you need a little red end table. Aqua lamp if you decide to go with an aqua contrast? :-)

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Thelma-Hot-Red-End-Table/8574261/product.html

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much Less :)

You have given me a lot to think about!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

If you go with the art you love and the rug I love, with the spot of purple, you will need less graphic pillows. Too much strong lines. The circle cocktail table is so nice. Try pillow that have movement to them and soft lines. I think your lamps should be a brass tone to add some sparkle to this side of the room and again help balance the wall paper and the bling in the mirror.....so much is balancing one thing against the other. End tables can be black bronze brown to bring in the wood of the floors. I think you have enough color, now you need calmness in the additional furnishings.

• PRO
    Carlos De La Puente Antiques
    8 years ago

The paper and mirror will work well together, but you might want to update the table and chairs to something more contemporary-feeling. Good luck!

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Why do people not read all the posts? They come across as uninformed and careless to the person posting the Design Dilemma!

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

Hi Pracheeti. I think I would either start with your favorite Art or rug. I think your chairs balance the red in the dining room. I would add like Less' rendered, red in some pillow patterns.

Love Less' expertise in renderings.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

I personally think the zig zag multi rug is too bold for the more delicate subdued wallpaper pattern. I think a little more of a transitional pattern rug with the geometric pillows with be a more sophisticated room combo.

That rug would be focal and undermine the wallpaper.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

Or a modern geometric rug that is still contemporary, but doesn't steal the stage.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

I like this rug too, (scrolls) for a different flavor.

Less posted.... 'And the one more'.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Less does a phenomenal job!! It becomes much more easier to make decisions after seeing the renderings and sometimes the different visual elements that she incorporates.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

What are your thoughts on this arrangement LB, the rug and pillows in particular?

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would like to pick a rug first, and then based on that pick another color - could be aqua or grey. All of the rugs above are ok, nothing that is very appealing. Let me know if you have any suggestions. The scroll rug is nice, but the pattern seems too big and with cream walls and cream couch it will just blend into everything. I think I would like a neutral rug with a slightly darker beige or grey tone.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thoughts on this....

Hand-Tufted Keno Bliss Rug, Slate, 5'x8' · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

I really like the subdued sophistication of the scrolls rug. It mimics the wallpaper and I especially like the large scale. The scale is what gives it slightly understated drama without going overboard. Maybe not that one but it does work well. You have bold color in chairs, pillow geometric drama and possibly Art with some color strength. MO.

I think the floral rug just posted, is a bit too busy.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

In this one you get the drama of adding teal with a more subtle geometric print and might work with the teal/ blue painting that you like.

Border teal · More Info

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

Prachetti - Don't go entirely on the Photoshops for scale when it comes to rug pattern. They will usually be much larger (due to stretching and flattening of the provided images) than the real rug would be. I did like the scroll one as it echoed the pattern in your wall paper. I feel that you love color and a more "neutral rug" will be a better base for you to have fun with your pillows, throws, vases ... you name it, in the rest of the room. Also, it is a fairly petite room, especially when you just look at the living area with love seat, chairs, so ... maybe better not to overwhelm the entire area with a super dramatic rug there? But gray or beige or a darker cream tone on tone ... would all work. You will have more opportunities to use color as an accent and the possibility of going in different color ways if you get bored of reds or aquas as accents. I guess my only concern with a "neutral" would be how the silver and glass table might "blend in" too much.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

I think the arrangement is the best it can be in the limited space. I would like to see how it feels if the chairs were opposite the sofa at slight angles. The configuration of the bay seems as though the right angled wall is pushing the the right chair a little bit. Maybe spaically it doesn't work from the entry. A photo would help. Because the chairs are low back, it might be fine if you like them there.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LB - I'm still not sure if I want to incorporate the aqua/teal colors. I liked the painting in Less's photoshop renderings, specially with the blue chair and one with a red loveseat. But the more I think about it, the more I feel I should just balance out the red with more neutral colors and let the wallpaper shine. The red chairs balance it on the other end. And I like the triangle patterned cream-grey pillows I bought for the chair recently.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I will try the arrangement you are suggesting tomorrow and see if it leaves enough space for the entry. I will tape out the dimensions of the coffee table as well.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Less - I agree with you on the neutral rug. Could you add these two rugs in the pic below, just for comparison.

Hand-Tufted Keno Bliss Rug, Slate, 5'x8' · More Info

Rug #2

Satara Desire Grey Rug · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

Just wondering why you are thinking of gray tones for a rug? Your wallpaper does not show that color. I don't think gray is a direction. I know it is on trend. Not seeing it blending with anything else. You might get too many different colors palettes in the room. A gray rug will not blend and will be focal, as it is the oddball color (so to speak). If there is enough gray in the art, might be okay. I'm just not sure if you want that much gray in a rug.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LB - I thought of grey because the pillows I recently bought for the red chairs are cream and gray. And I also have this ottoman in gray (Hubby thought the cream ottoman might get too dirty and liked this one more). It is right now in the entry though, next to the glass console table.

Linon Script Judith Upholstered Square Ottoman with Jewelry Storage · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

I liked the ottoman in the entry. Ok with gray if it shows up from a distance with using some gray repeated color of additional items that are just in the living room space. I think the gray in the pillows will carry the rug gray.

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

See you in the morning with some more rugs in place!

• lessismoore
    8 years ago

Well, here are the two last rugs ... I wish I was "loving" these more. Something always seems a bit off for me. Not sure what, or what to do ,to make it hang together more. It's like you need more contrast or a different color scheme to make your major pieces work together. Do you like this inspiration pix? Maybe more brown and gold accents rather than silver and gray?

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

I think a predominate neutral background rug (close to wall color or diining chair upholstery color) would unify the dining, living room and walls.

With a small space, the eye needs a break from too much pattern and from different palette colors. It will get too busy.

I love that you are open to bold color and interesting patterns. It needs a good balance with subtlety.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

I think a bold artwork and pillows with a more subtle rug would be great balance.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Less :)

I can see the second grey rug is definitely not working. I guess, I will have to start looking at beige rugs.

I do like the inspiration pic, but not a fan of brown.

Also I'm not sure how will gold look with the other silver elements - the mirror, chrome coffee table bottom (I love that coffee table a lot!)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

You can mix gold and silver. I would just repeat both metallics at least twice or three times in accessories. I think I would like the chrome coffee table blending in with a light neutral rug. Smoother flow without everything becoming too focal. Gets too busy. The eye won't get distracted with high contrasts everywhere, as you have a good balance going on so far.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thinking about the scrolls rug now :)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

Inspiration. Note bold color and light neutrals.

Hillgrove Project · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

Another

Buckinghamshire Residence by LLI Design. · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

This one has some great texture.

Woven Textures Rug, 5' x 8' · More Info

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

Rug

Loloi Enchant Collection, Ivory, 7'7"x7'7" Square · More Info

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

This is off tangent and I do not want to read all the post from beginning so will ask; which is the correct dining room table and chairs----all black wood or beige upholstered chairs, I see both styles but was not paying attention to what if anything was chosen and installed? Thanks!

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Soosun,

This is what the dining room currently looks like with a glass top table and ivory leather chairs

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LB - I love the woven textures rug, but its sold out on Horchow :(

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Why does that chandy looks so far from the table...up shot on the camera angle? Or have we had this conversation. Design is inches!

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Camera angle Soosun :)

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just an aside, pictures of master bedroom. It's still under progress though.

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    8 years ago

That's so refreshing! It's coming along nicely. I think I would paint the other walls the same white as the coverlet. I would like to see silver accents on the lamps. Are they gold? If you keep the lamps, I would add some gold and silver to repeat them in the room. Maybe art above the bed with gold frames.

If you buy a set of art and they are either gold or silver frames, maybe you could repaint one or two the opposite finish to have a mix of both colors.

• Pracheeti
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks LB :)

The lamps are gold. Once I finalize on art, I will follow your suggestion of painting the frames gold as well. Got to put a jar of Martha Stewart Golden gilding to some use :)

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

Don't we all! Good one Pracheeti

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County