SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacy_thoeny

Another Which Brand to I Buy Thread...

Stacy T
9 years ago

Hello, this is my first post on GW. Although I have been a lurker, GW has gotten me through a new stand mixer purchase, a granite purchase (saved me here!), a backsplash, and now I'm hoping through a washer/dryer purchase.

Some background information about my family. We are currently a family of 5, 6 in September. Also, we cloth diaper, and will have two in cloth this fall. As if that isn't bad enough, we are also dairy farmers which means a lot of very dirty work clothes, in addition to regular household laundry (sheets, towels), and "good" clothes. I do a lot of laundry. I was all set to buy a front load Electrolux washer and drier and stack them in our mud room so I could still have the top load for cloth diapers (I really need a top load for these). Yesterday I went to our local appliance dealer and asked if they carried Electrolux, they were quick to tell me that they were made by Frigidaire and that they were the most serviced brand they sold. She steered me to the GE or Samsung brands. I don't know a lot about either, but I thought I had seen somewhere that Samsung was a bad idea for a washer/dryer. Enter confusion.

So now what do I do???

1) Stick with Electrolux?

2) Go with another brand - Kenmore??? Grandma has a newer Whirlpool Duet that I used all summer (long story), but it started in with the hinge issue.

3) Forget it all and buy the Speed Queen top loader and drier? I'm leaning in this direction but have some concerns. Will this keep up with the amount of laundry that I have? Also, can it handle larger quilts and our heavy barn jackets and bibs (we live in MN so the super insulated stuff)? Going to a laundry mat isn't a good alternative, the nearest one is in the next town.

Comments (7)