SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samkaren1692

I Saw 50 Shades Today

samkaren1692
9 years ago

and I really enjoyed it. I only noticed one discrepancy from the book to film. sure it was fast paced but they had to put a lot into the film from the book. Going to see it again with my sweetie!

SamKaren

your resident DJ

Comments (51)

• samkaren1692
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Me either but I will buy it when it comes out on DVD. Only problem I had at the theater was the soundtrack for the previews was really loud. Had to put my fingers in my ears

• Pawprint
    9 years ago

Did they tame it down for the movie version? So many people are on the news trying to picket the movie. Is it worse than anything on film already?

• Related Discussions

Who Makes This 'New' Craftsman 50cc Chain Saw?

Q

Comments (30)
    This is "John" with a changed, but registered, User Name. Thanks for the echo tip. It's just a bit too small for bucking the 3 ancient ashes that nature felled for me this year in the woods out back. I had tried a new Homelite 20" from HD for $100, but there were obvious mixture problems, so I returned it ASAP. I got the Sears 20" for $179 on-line this afternoon, free shipping, etc., figuring that all big box stores are dumping their 20" saws, and, sure enough, when I went to the Sears store to get my free quart of pre-mixed fuel tonight, theirs had been marked down to something like $189 for tomorrow's 1-day sale. Sears weighs the same as Homelite (21 lbs.), which I handled pretty easily. Will keep you posted on whether 50cc really quacks like 50cc.
    ...See More

saw Tipuana Tipu for sale at Home Depot today

Q

Comments (4)
    and between 16th st n and 34st n(not sure the exact address),right across from Lowe's teeka
    ...See More

Today I saw the most gorgeous garden!

Q

Comments (9)
    Gorgeous. The last two pictures, may I ask a question? The yellow flowers, it is an orchid, yes ? What kind ? I saw one just like it at a local orchid show and it was stunning. What are those gorgeous pink fluffy flowers. I LOVE them, so joyous and exuberant to look at. Great pictures, thank you so much.
    ...See More

~I Saw God Today~ George Strait's Latest

Q

Comments (14)
    I have to admit that even though I'm not into Country music, I do love and admire George. When he is in concert in San Antonio it is almost impossible to get tickets. I tried to get 2 tickets online the last time he performed there and was at the site minutes before they went on sale and still wasn't fast enough. It sold out in a couple of minutes! A couple that I know from here were celebrating their anniversary, so they closed off both ends of the street by their house for a street dance and invited half the town. They hired George for the music. LOL Yes, that was quite a few years ago when he lived just 45 miles away. In fact he might have still been in college at the time. Everyone liked him, but no one knew what a star he would become!
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    9 years ago

I read just the first book. Not sure if I am going to see the movie. Does the movie just include what happens in the first book?

I do think it is odd that this book became so popular. THis type of sexual behavior is really not normal.

• linda_in_iowa
    9 years ago

I read the trilogy and have no desire to see the movie.

• ont_gal
    9 years ago

The unfortunate thing about 50 Shades,is most have come to think of it as a sex novel-which,if you read ALL 3 of the books,you will find it is not-you have to read thru to the end of the third book to figure out the complete story-and a considerably good story it is.

• User
    9 years ago

I couldn't get past page 7 of the book. It was horribly written and I can't read books that look like a grade six student wrote. I gave it to a customer in our store who was looking to buy a copy.

• Alisande
    9 years ago

Debby, I heard that from several of my friends, and that's why I was never interested in reading any of the trilogy. I complained about the quality of Harlan Coben's writing recently, but the way I heard it, the "Grey" author would elevate Coben to Shakespeare status in comparison.

Samkaren, you might try ear plugs. I wouldn't go to the movies without them, mostly because of the deafening previews.

• samkaren1692
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will probably regret this but.........Ellendi6161 i found your comment "THis type of sexual behavior is really not normal." interesting to say the least. Without getting into a huge debate please (and no bashing please) i would love to know what you deem as "normal".

SamKaren

your resident DJ

• Chi
    9 years ago

He's emotionally abusive and manipulative but since it's sex, and he's gorgeous and rich, it's okay. I get that it's a fantasy book but it gives young women the wrong impression. If he buys you enough fancy things, it's okay if he threatens to hunt you down or doesn't listen to you when you say no.

And no, this book is not an accurate representation of the BDSM lifestyle, which is all about mutual respect and comfort.

• Chi
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Did someone flag my post right above this one that I wrote about half an hour ago? I can see it on my screen but on my phone where I'm not logged in, I can't see it. Can anyone else see it?

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

" So many people are on the news trying to picket the movie."

Really? Where? I haven't seen a single mention of picketing!

• Alisande
    9 years ago

Chi83, I can't see it. I hope we don't have self-appointed forum censors at work.

• Chi
    9 years ago

Hopefully it's a technical glitch. I would really hate if people could flag and remove posts just because they don't like them.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I don't see an earlier post, chi. Remember.....no one of us has the power to make any post disappear. We can flag something, but the administrators are the only ones who can pull something.

And they won't make those decisions lightly.

• Chi
    9 years ago

I don't think it's pulled by admin because I can see it on my screen. My thought is that it's flagged and "frozen" for review so I can see it but no one else can.

• Alisande
    9 years ago

Pawprint, if people are picketing, I don't think it's because the movie is too sexy. The discussions I've heard about it express concern that the theme (rich, handsome man does whatever he wants with impressionable female, including inflicting physical and emotional pain on her) is demeaning to women and sets a horrible example for young women.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I don't see it either Chi. Re-post it and see if it shows up

9 years ago

Yeah.....repost it! I wanna read it, lol.

• Chi
    9 years ago

Haha, okay. Since it wasn't deleted and I wasn't given a warning I will assume it's okay. I'm also including a screen shot of what it looks like on my screen:

"He's emotionally abusive and manipulative but since it's sex, and he's gorgeous and rich, it's okay. I get that it's a fantasy book but it gives young women the wrong impression. If he buys you enough fancy things, it's okay if he threatens to hunt you down or doesn't listen to you when you say no.

And no, this book is not an accurate representation of the BDSM lifestyle, which is all about mutual respect and comfort."

• Chi
    9 years ago

Okay this is getting annoying. I reposted it and it's gone again.

• Chi
    9 years ago

Screen shot. Given how fast this happened, I'm wondering if something I'm saying is auto-triggering a flag or something. I didn't think it was anything bad. This is a screen shot of my repost, which included a screen shot of my original post, lol.

• dees_1
    9 years ago

More posts are missing chi83. Samkaren's is gone too.

• Chi
    9 years ago

Which one? If she wrote a new one I didn't see it. The last one I see from her is when she was asking Ellendi. Maybe we can't say "sex"?

• Chi
    9 years ago

Lol ok I just tested it after my new reply didn't post either. You can't say s*x or it gets removed. That seems silly since s*x can also refer to gender but I suppose it helps with inappropriate spam. I'm glad this is the issue rather than people flagging posts.

• Pawprint
    9 years ago

sushipup1, in Columbus Ohio. The local news did a story about it. A bunch of people, who even claimed never to see the movie or read the books were protesting in the parking lots of movie theaters.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I remember one time I was trying to tell someone to use w*tch hazel as an astringent but the word w*tch was being censored out of it. HA! It wasn't here though, I think it was at some healthboard forum. So it makes sense that posts with the word s*x are being censored.

• wildchild2x2
    9 years ago

I tried to like the screenshot post not the fact it was gone. I can't seem to unlike the comment. So for the record I completely agree with the sentiments in the screenshot.

• eld6161
    9 years ago

SamKaren, I know we have a difference of opinion here. I can only say that I believe , whips, chains or any form of bondage or dominance is not normal behavior between two people that love, care and respect each other.

People can certainly do whatever they choose. But, for an impressionable young woman to see this type of behavior and thinks it is okay, well, no it is not.

Explain why you ,( or anyone else here) think it is normal.

• bee0hio
    9 years ago

Yes! Chi83 I so agree with you! I had forgotten about how Gray stalked Ana! He bought the company she was working for, fergadsakes! All to keep an eye on her. I don't see how anyone can overlook his character flaws & think this is at all romantic. To each his own when it comes to fantasy, I guess.

The storyline was just sooo implausible.

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Two females in my family have suggested that males might not be as attracted as females to the book and the movie (which they both read and saw), so I know only a bit about the story detail.

But ellendi, just for the discussion and without referring to you or what you said specifically, who's to say what's normal? Can I decide that what I do is normal, and so if you disagree or do something differently, well then of course you're "not normal"? No, of course not.

I think the problem is that "normal" isn't a good word in this situation. Common vs less common might be a better way to say it, there's no judgement conveyed.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

summer, just click on the little thumb's up again and the LIKE will go away for you.

• eld6161
    9 years ago

Maybe we should change the word normal to norm? But, it saddens me to think that the behaviors exhibited in Fifty Shades can become the norm.

So, Snidely, do you personally believe that whipping, chaining and beating your partner is acceptable behavior in a loving relationship?

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I haven't read the book or watched the movie but I do get the gist of what it's about because a friend of mine was all into it and told me about some things. I don't see how anyone would think that behavior is normal even if they participate in that sort of behavior. I would think that even they realize their S&M activity is out of the ordinary. If people want to do that and they are consenting adults...whatever blows their dress up. As long as it doesn't involve me any, that's their own business. As they say "whatever floats your boat".

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    9 years ago

I haven't read the books or seen the movie. It just doesn't interest me. However I do have an opinion about this behavior. I can't see it ever becoming the norm because of these books and this movie. It goes against most religious beliefs and I think most people have some sort of religious belief and even those that don't probably wouldn't see this as something they would want to participate in. I would think it would be a very, very small minority that would find this behavior appealing.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

I watch too many tv shows about serial killers; Criminal minds, etc etc.

If someone brought out some handcuffs and a blindfold and a whip, I'd be screaming for my life. LOL

• Chi
    9 years ago

lol Jasdip!

S&M is actually more common than you would think, even among more conservative people, though the level of activity varies greatly, from silk blindfolds to full out dungeons. However, 50 Shades isn't BDSM. It goes so far beyond it that it gives it a bad name. Stalking and abuse until she finally agrees she likes it is not BDSM. That's the real issue, in my opinion.

I won't go into too many details here given the platform but there's plenty written online about the matter if anyone is curious.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

You may have already seen the letter in the link, or maybe you haven't. it's one mother's note to her children about 50 Shades...

http://www.bonbonbreak.com/letter-children-fifty-shades-grey/

• Chi
    9 years ago

That about sums it up American mainstream culture! We're desensitized to violence but prudish about nudity and s*ex compared to a lot of other countries.

• samkaren1692
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess it doesn't really matter. As stated what is the "norm" for one person may not be the "norm" for another. But whether the person enjoys it or not (lol and I for one do enjoy it) it comes down to a matter of trusting the person you are with. I learned...without trust there isn't much left.

SamKaren

your resident DJ

9 years ago

Pink, fuzzy handcuffs are available at WalMart. ;-)

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

tete, yep, we are a bunch of silly mixed up crazies...HAHA! I really don't know why so many are so phobic of s*x? I can only assume it's religion based? This book though, deals with mental abuse though which is a whole nuther story. I guess there will be a handful of people that will see this and think "hey this is OK" but there will most likely be more people that will see this and think "what a creepy movie...this is terrible". As for the people protesting...my gosh, we cannot live in shelter our whole lives...we are exposed to these things constantly in real life. I think they need to find something better to do!

• workoutlady
    9 years ago

My friends all loved the books and told me I should read it. So I read the first two books, got to about page 10 of the third book and quit. I didn't like it at all. They said it's a love story but I didn't agree, which is why I quit reading it. I just wish I would have stopped after the first book but I listened to them. I won't do that again. Although, normally I agree with their opinions on the matter of books and movies.

As for the movie, I know of several people that saw the movie and they said it was horrible (some had read the book and some have not). The only thing they agreed on was that the soundtrack was great. My friends want to have a girls day and go to the movie. I'll probably do that since I love spending time with these friends and we rarely have a girls day without our men.

• tete_a_tete
    9 years ago

I get the feeling that 50 Shades is not meant to be a romance.

Now, I might be wrong in what I am about to type because I only heard this second-hand, and my source was someone who had nothing at all to do with the writing of the novel, and - not only THAT - but I detected in her, my source, a big dollop of envy.

But this book, apparently, started life on the internet, with everyone who wanted to, adding a paragraph or so. Hands up anyone who has ever been involved with such a saga? I have, and the temptation is great to write the most outlandish things. The result can be rather funny, certainly totally crazy and really something that in Real Life (a writer sitting at his or her desk) would usually avoid.

I haven't read the book but I must say I am starting to become curious. I feel quite certain that this Christian Grey fellow is a sleaze, a &^%$# and possibly even a (*&#@%^^&. Maybe I'll even attempt to write my own revolting novel. I think whoever thought of the title, Fifty Shades of Grey, was brilliant.

• Alisande
    9 years ago

My understanding is the books (originally in one volume) were first published online, but not written online. I don't think it's true that it was written a paragraph at a time by numerous people. It was published as an e-book, with print-on-demand at one point, and then I guess it was picked up by larger publisher.

Some of the reviews were pretty amusing. The general consensus is that the author does not write well at all. I just looked up this quote by Salman Rushdie to get it right: "I've never read anything so badly written that got published. It made Twilight look like War and Peace."

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

Maybe it's popular for it's shock factor, take Game of Thrones for instance. That show is crazy(horrible at times) but we love it don't we...well I do anyway.

• tete_a_tete
    9 years ago

Alisande, you are probably right.

I agree that the writing is worse than appalling. I have read the first half page or so. Picked it up once in a book shop. Popped it down again, gagging. Yet still I am curious because some people who I know have really loved it.

• Chi
    9 years ago

I think it's mostly hype/curiosity than anything. The only reason I read it is because I was curious what all the fuss was about. People who buy it just to mock it are still contributing to its success, after all!

• tete_a_tete
    9 years ago

I just had a look at the link above about a letter that a mother wrote to her children. What a fuss about nothing.

I knew I should have been outside planting the freesias.

I mean, listen to this bit:

If an entire theatre of women three times your age

couldn’t see how damaging this plot line is, how on

earth are teenage girls and boys supposed to?

This person, in my coffee-infused opinion, is taking things way too seriously.

It's a big world out there that we all go out into one day, and the way to do this, I think, is by our parents giving us confidence, not by carrying on about every little thing.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

How did I ever grow up and not become a crazy person listening to "dirty deeds done dirt cheap" ac/dc. HAHA! It's meant as entertainment, not a bible of how to live.