SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biffytreepod

Need help! Showplace cabinets stain issues

biffytreepod
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm finishing up a kitchen renovation and have found many issues with the stain on my cabinets. They're Concord cherry wood with coffee stain with ebony glaze. Many of the cabinets doors and drawer edges have areas where there is no stain and the bare wood is visible. The beveled areas that meet up with the center panel also have poor stain coverage with bare wood visible. I called the dealer as soon as I noticed and she came to look at them a week later. She suggested that she had a refinishing guy who sometimes would fix problems if needed or they might replace some of the fronts. She set up an appointment with her showplace cabinet rep. He immediately told me that it appeared that the cabinets had been sanded a little too vigorously on the edges prior to the clear coat application. He asked if I had a repair kit and I gave him stain marker and crayon that was left at my house. He then attempted to use the marker to cover these bare areas on two of my cabinets. It didn't look good and I told him I didn't think this was going to fix the problem. The stain marker only slightly darkened the bare area and then made the surrounding area darker. To me it actually made it look worse. His plan was to come back when he had more time to "detail" the cabinets and then let me live with it for a few days. I immediately called my dealer and told her that I didn't think this was a good plan. She said he's my cabinet rep and asked what I wanted her to do about it. I'm really upset because I spent more than my budget on these cabinets because I heard such good things about them from more than one dealer and I saw good reviews on this sight. I've purchased cabinets from Lowes and Krafmaid on previous projects that were much less exspensive and to me had much better finish quality. I emailed my cabinet dealer again over the weekend and haven't heard from her. I would love to hear from anyone with how I should proceed with this. Do I call the company directly to let them know what's going on? I honestly can't believe these cabinets made it through quality control in the first place.

Comments (30)