SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyallison

Help with my heating plan for lower level walkout we are refinishing

happyallison
9 years ago

We are planning on installing a small secondary furnace in our lower level walkout basement where we are adding a master suite and living room. It is quite chilly down there, currently there are only 2 heat vents and they are through the drop down ceiling. Everyone has stated due to the nature of the beast (heat vents in ceiling) we won't get very good heating down there no matter what we do. One company suggested the secondary small furnace, as that is what he did in his home when he moved bedrooms to the downstairs and he said it helped tremendously. We will have ductwork for that furnace downstairs only, with some added ductwork from the original furnace to provide heat and cooling in summertime. Am I missing a more cost effective, or better heating option for the lower level? The cost difference was $2000 adding that second furnace.

Also my husband is insisting on putting a second humidifier on the secondary furnace. My HVAC guys says humidity balances out, it will be redundant. My husband suffers terribly from bloody noses in the winter, we have one of those giant free standing humidifiers we use in our bedroom (I think they're really meant for the whole house!). We want to get rid of that if we are dropping $ into all this hvac. Who is correct here, will a second humidifier help?

Comments (7)