SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
walleyemn

Egress windows in lower level of split level home

walleyemn
3 years ago

Good morning,

We are in the process of making some improvements to our home. We currently have a split level home with a wood basement. It is a walkout basement on the south side that slopes up on the sides to the North. We are looking at replacing a few of the windows in the basement and were planning on making the legal egress. It's almost like the original owner/builder made them not legal on purpose. 2 of the bedrooms in the lower level have legal size crank out windows, but the sills are 48" off the floor. The 3rd bedroom in the lower level has the sills at legal height, but the 3 pane casement window has panes that don't meet the legal size requirements.

My thoughts are as follows:

BR 1 and 2. Install a 36H x 60W sliding window in each room that is of legal sill height. This should actually require minimum dirtwork outside as the ground level is already a bit lower than the bottom of the windows. I do plan to add a drain underneath to make sure that water is never an issue.

BR 3. Move the bedroom door to the side. This opens the bedroom and current office space into 1 open room that has a walk out 32" door. I would assume that with the walk out door, I wouldn't need to do anything with the windows.

When we bought the house, it appraised at selling price, but only appraised as a 2br house. The way I see it, with some sweat equity I can turn it into a 5br house and help with the resale.

thoughts?

Comments (8)