SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

I just gotta have it!

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

I don't know why I used to be satisfied with just a few varieties of roses, but now there are so many I want to try. I have several new ones coming for the 2015 season, but there are still so many more I wish I had. There are so many beautiful roses available! With what I'm going to add this year, I will have over 100 roses and I don't need anymore than that. I figure I'll need a few replacements every year, but other than that I want to get this "I gotta have it" thing under control!

Comments (59)

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

When garden room is maxed out thats when you start looking at miniatures. So hard to resist the urge for a new rose.

• Related Discussions

What is the red spider looking flower I see blooming now?

Q

Comments (6)
    they're a great bulb that multiplies well if happy. ask anyone who has a good patch for some next june or so & they'll probably happily give you some. let me know before the next swap & i can bring some. they go dormant from june til sept, when they bloom w/o foliage. it follows shortly after, to look like a liriope all winter til about may/june. they also come in yellow & white, but those are a lot more rare & expensive. aka hurricane lilies b/c they normally bloom in sept after a heavy rain from a storm. and, hey, imagine this- spider lilies. my pet name for them is the horton hears a who flower. nekkid ladies are normally refering to the lycoris squamigera(sp?)(the pink ones that look like a crinum flower).
    ...See More

Upscale 'Nature Scene' T-shirt.......

Q

Comments (0)
    I would be so ever grateful if someone even knew where I could find this shirt! I just gotta have it! thank you in advance. Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

If you are ordering tulips

Q

Comments (2)
    the only "lady" tulip I've grown has been, well, "Cynthia" she's a clusiana species tulip. These are not your big Dutch tulips. Mine returned twice for me. That's 3 springs. I would have ordered more, last year but they didn't make to to the end of November sale . I haven't tried Lady Jane, don't know what the others will do either, but there are several of this variety. No need to chill 'em either. But in comparison to a big fat Dutch tulip bulb they are like a raisin in comparison to an apple. If you want some, order sooner rather than later. Here is a link that might be useful: clusiana cynthia
    ...See More

Metal(?) fireplace surround

Q

Comments (0)
    I posted this in the Decorating Forum but I thought I'd probably have better luck here: Can anyone please tell me where to find this surround? It's about halfway down this gallery - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/gal0103513122802.html?42 in a post by Oceanna dated Jan2, 2009 3:34? It's the third picture down and it has African masks on the mantel. It is very unusual (metal?) and something I just gotta have :-) It looks like you'll have to copy/paste. Sorry.
    ...See More
  • Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

I struggle with the same "illness". I was going to limit myself to 5 roses this year, but with 2 empty acres and after finding some cheaper sources for roses (and roses I thought I wouldn't be able to find) I soon found myself buying 14! After some experience with Deep Secret and Hot Cocoa I can at least narrow my choices down by thorniness -- I DO NOT want another super-thorny rose. I will only buy one if it's perfect in every other way and even then I'll try to breed a less thorny version of it. "Unfortunately" I've recently found myself enamored with the old fashion bloom form, so that opens as many possibilities (and more) than my fewer-thorns rule...

Oh well, we'll get the hang of it one of these days!

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Yada, yada, yada.... We just can't help ourselves sometimes. Lol .... I told myself "no more than a couple of roses this yr!" Yeah right. Having to re-do the septic system and cutting down 4 big trees has opened up a lot more sunny room for me. So, what did I do? Ordered probably more roses this yr than I have in a long time. I think it was like over 40? Yikes. And I'm still looking...

Hey Kentucky Rose hold off ordering those roses from Edmunds. Go take a look at Brecks. They have all those and more, and you get sorta "half-price" discounts at different levels thru Feb. Buy $50 worth, get $25 off.... $100 worth, $50 off.... $200 worth, get $100 off! And their roses are big, huge and well packed. I got two different orders from them already. First one I got SMOKIN' HOT, MISS CONGENIALTY and TWILIGHT ZONE, and those were more expensive when I got them. Then I decided I had to have PRETTY LADY ROSE, WATERCOLORS HOME RUN, TAKE IT EASY and DORIS DAY. They ship fast and I'm not kidding, the plants are monstrous. Typical Weeks roses. Check 'em out! That's where I got my NEIL DIAMOND and ANNA'S PROMISE last yr.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Beth, I just placed my order with Edmunds'. I got Pretty Lady, Neil Diamond, and Paradise for a total $78.80. Last year, my Paradise was weakened from winter cold and early spring wind damage. Since I really like it, I thought I should add another one as a backup. Thanks.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I kept on laughing when I saw your post, Sara. I am having the same problem. I am composting a list of roses I want to buy this spring and it may have reached more than 100. I agree with Ingrid that eventually you will "edit" a lot out. I continuously edit my list to see which rose I really want. I began to realize that a lot of roses are very similar and I pick the best of them. My biggest challenge are the D.A. roses. Having said that, I skip any roses that does not have disease resistance, no matter how beautiful they are. I will make exception if it is an "unique" rose. Of course, I pay a lot of attention to fellow posters and their recommendations. I have decided to cut down my list of hybrid teas. Although I love the high centers of the hybrid tea flowers, I rather grow shrub roses or climbers now for the natural look and the abundance of flowers they produce.

• dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
    9 years ago

Talk about no self control..lol

How funny that I just read this thread yesterday and commented about no more this year unless its Gemini (Even though, I visited a nearby rose society meeting for the first time, and got her offspring Mercury Rising during their auction fundraiser). Today after work, I stopped by Home Depot just for fun. They had roses for 1/2 off. I got a Pope John Paul II for $5.50, it used to be $11. I bought one a couple of weeks ago at a local nursery for $24 and it's barely any bigger so I thought why not, but now I have two of PJPII. I told myself two of nothing since I have little space. Oh well..I'll find a small pot for him lol. I guess the rave reviews on here are what prompted me to be so excited about him! I was going to get Ingrid Bergman too but they were all extremely scrawny.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

JJ...you were "composting a list"? hehe.....

Since raiding Kim's garden, I am dealing with just were to put the last handful. I actually spent 3 days working on some new terraces so I can get the ones I want in the ground planted. I wish I had done that first as I have a couple I want up there instead due to their growth habit. I think a couple of my duplicates (my cuttings) are going to end up in someone else's garden sooner rather than later.

Gardens evolve, so I consider the movement of plants part of that process.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Dan, it's difficult to pass up such a a good deal, especially if the roses look healthy! I wish I had ordered a Gemini, after reading such good comments about it on this forum, it sounds like a very good rose.

• shopshopsz8texas
    9 years ago

DITTO !!!!!! 200 plus roses later. I think I have " pruned" my rose lust by running out of space. What a great hobby we have.

9 years ago

Hey Kippy. Yeah, I did it to see if anyone caught my "odd" sense of humour. You win the big million dollars prize. lol.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I think it's fine as long as you have the time to spend on them. I prefer to get a few at a time so I can pay close attention to them. When you can't get to pruning and taking off the old flowers or mulching, then you have too many.

I would take that PJP II and put it next to the one you have now and make a superbush. I did that with Honor and it looks great. Sometimes a spot is really good for a certain rose so why not plant multiples there?

9 years ago

Kittymoonbeam, I have found him another spot today where I think he can look great as part of the landscape! Rose bushes are universally hated in my house because everyone thinks they are unsightly to be in the front yard lol . I think PJPII won't dissapoint though since he looks like a nice bush so I'm going for it anyways...

I saw a very healthy Honor bare root rose at the store, which made me take interest. How does it do for you? Any knowledge on how shade tolerant it is?

• emrogers
    9 years ago

Wow! I wish I had that much sunny space to buy and buy and buy. I am contemplating tearing down some bushes just to plant roses!!!! I'm still new at this rose and gardening hobby and I still buy without researching then do lots of prayer!!!!!! I have a climbing iceberg and regular iceberg I bought from Chambalee's last fall that will be going in my new space and a lichtfield, I believe that's the name. Apparently someone mentioned that iceberg doesn't do well in my area zone 7/ Dallas, tx. I will be buying at least 5 this year though.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Honor performs best where its warm and dry. Its tall and not wide. The roses open fast but they are tall buds with a whisper of pink at the tip which is gone by the time the flowers begin to open. They look very florist style. The scent is light and sweet honey rose almond. It got an AARS award so I think it can be grown most places. They come in a bouquet of usually 3 but you can disbud them so they are only one to a stem and larger. The flowers are quick to repeat if you just snap off the old blooms after the petals fade.

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    9 years ago

The local gardening shop has their yearly shipment of roses this year, and good gravy, it is making me want get all of them. Hot Cocoa and Julia Child, surely, but also Midas Touch and Tropicana? I need more orange and yellow roses, you see. *chuckles*

9 years ago

Thanks Kittymoonbeam! It sounds like a great one. I like tall roses because that means I can fit more side by side lol. So Honor hmmm..

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Midas Touch is great! It's been disease free for me so far, though it's only been one year. It's a beautiful color that doesn't fade and the scent is moderate and nice. The ONLY problem I have with it is the blooms open too quickly, and once open, aren't especially pretty (but that's just my opinion; they're still a deep buttercup yellow). But of course, I'm not trying to talk you into buying it ;p

9 years ago

Rosecandy, I certainly would've gotten it if I didn't get a St. Patrick already lol

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

My yard is going through an almost total re-do. We had to have new drainage pipes put in our neighborhood and lucky me had them all over my yard. I had to dig up many roses. Unfortunately some didn't like being dug up and I lost them. However, I was then able to order replacements. Some I decided not to replant because while I loved them, I wanted to try others. I also was able to get rid of a bunch of huge junipers to make a whole new rose bed. I wish the weather this winter had been a bit more cooperative so I could have done more so far, at least get the beds ready. But it will happen.

One thing is I'm getting more selective about the quality of roses. I have gotten into exhibiting and I want good quality roses. I'm trying other root stocks like multiflora and fortuniana along with Dr. Huey and own root..

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I was wondering how that went. Now that the crews are gone and the pipes are in, how do you like the new garden beds? Did you have the roses in pots or how did you handle it? I'm sorry you lost some. I'm happy you were able to protect most of them. I remember how stressful it was for you when you found out about the pipe project. What did you do differently this time?

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

First

People stay away from those body bag roses. Their root systems have been chopped off. It will take 5 years to catch up. Go to a good source like Witherspoons. You will get nice plants with big root systems.

I grow 500 roses and have them crammed in everywhere. I have some Mini and Minifloras coming from forloveofroses.com. I forgot what I ordered.

• Rosecandy VA, zone 7
    9 years ago

Haha I hear you on that dan8_gw . It's hard to justify spending money/time/space on one rose if I'm already content or very happy with another similar one.

• s
    9 years ago

sara_ann-z6bok, when you started
    this post my first thoughts were ‘definitely not‘! Not now anyway, I will wait
    until next fall. Now, I am only going to order the rootstock I need to experiment
    budding with florist roses. Hahaha..... I couldn’t resist! Last week I ordered the
    rootstock and some.......

First a few miniatures; Charmant, Blue Peter, Little Artist, Little Sunset, Little Sunset and
    Sun Baby. They don’t take up much space. Oh look there’s Papageno , Oranges ‘n
    Lemons and Marvelle at a really good price and I only have one
    striped rose (Edgar Degas) and I have just the right spot for Super Excelsa and Lucia.

Not too bad – can manage that - BUT this
    morning I got weak again. It’s snowing outside and so naturally after all the
    chores we’re sitting inside and I started checking out some of the roses
    suppliers. Clicked on My Roses Germany
    shouldn’t have done that! Ordered Hanky Panky, Mind Games, Rock
    & Roll, Summer Lodge. Purple Tiger and Brocéliande to go along side the stripes
    ordered last week. Another spot in the garden will now be home to Terracotta, Brown
    Velvet, Cinco de Mayo, Hot Chocolate and Iris Webb
    (not too sure if she will fit in). Been looking at Lavender Pinocchio, Eddy
    Mitchell, Moonstone and Blauwestad for a while now so they were added to the
    order. And because my mom so loves Double Delight, I ordered it as well. After
    all, the postage for one rose is the same as for twenty so why not take
    advantage of it. They also have a lot of other roses which are on my wish list
    but they are out of stock so I will have to wait until November.

Thank goodness I still have space in the
    garden but a whole lot of my dahlia bulbs are not going to be planted this
    year!!!

@ bethnorcal9, if you are the Beth of Beth’s
    Northern CA Rose Garden on HMF I would appreciate you maybe giving me your
    opinion on the some of the roses I’ve ordered as you have most of them on your
    plant list.
    I have nowhere near the amount of roses that you have but the
    number is increasing steadily – I just gotta have it!

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

I ordered from forloveofroses.com He sells Miniature and Miniflora roses.

I don't remember what I ordered now???? That was last fall! I've slept since then!

The one rose I wanted was Shawn Sease I'm, getting two.

I think Richard Anthony is sending me some of his roses to test also. It should be interesting

I also went to St Louis last fall. One of our members down there put out the call to come and dig his roses. I brought home maybe 15 Hybrid Teas and the rest were potted Miniature and Miniflora roses. So I am set now for a while!!!!!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jackson & Perkins has quite a way of tempting me, On my computer screen, they show all these beautiful rose pictures and I think they have a way of showing the ones they know I'm interested in. I AM NOT ORDERING ANOTHER ROSE THIS YEAR! NOT FROM J&P, OR ANYONE ELSE!

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, go to Breck's website and look at their roses. Thanks to Beth for info about their sale, I want Smokin' Hot and Miss Congeniality. I think once we can work in our gardens this madness of I want won't be as strong.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kentucky - Those are some lovely roses. I really do like the Pretty Lady Rose too.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    9 years ago

Look at witherspoon roses

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh Kentucky, I love Witherspoon Roses, but I didn't order anything from them this year. They have a Floribunda available, Columbus, it is lovely, I have been tempted to order it. In the early 90's I had one with the same name and color, I loved it, but I think this is a new one. The one I had was a Carruth Rose. Do you ever order from Rosemania? It's a good source too.

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Sara-Ann, I did order PRETTY LADY from Edmunds.' COLUMBUS caught my eye from Witherspoon, too. I have ordered bareroot roses from Rosemania in the past. Palatine and Edmunds' are my 2 favorite bareroot vendors.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kentucky, Edmunds is my main source for bare-root roses too, mainly because of the prices and the free shipping and I've always been pleased with their quality. I've ordered several from Palatine this year also, they're a good company to deal with. When I planted some of my old favorites in 2013, I ordered quite a few of my hybrid teas from Witherspoon, because they had most of them available. Where do you get most of minis and mini-floras?

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    9 years ago

Nor'East, directly from Whit Wells, Kimbrew Walters in Texas, Johnny Becnel, Rosemania, and K&M Roses were the main sources for my mini/floras. K&M may be the only ones from above selling them. I saw on their website that they will offer some on ownroot, not just fort. I get more blooms on fort., but that rootstock is more winter tender. One thing that I do is bury the graft/bud union 1-2 inches deep. For the Love of Roses may be another good source. They carry a lot that I have or would like to try.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the info. for future reference.

8 years ago

Here is the clearance Pope John Paul II I got from home depot. It is so vigorous! It is doing very well, except for some rust. My other PJPII out front has completely clean foliage, I don't think this one would get rust either if its neighbor Pink Peace didn't have such a bad case of it.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    8 years ago

It looks real nice, Much better than my plant!!

8 years ago

Thanks, I like PJPII a lot! Relatively long lasting flowers with great fragrance. Though the blooms are so large and heavy that the stems seem to have a hard time holding them up straight.

• cadiarose
    8 years ago

Pretty Lady is a great rose. Mine has well over 100 buds on it, and it's starting to burst into bloom. This one wants to grow wide!

For Love of Roses is a great source for minis and minifloras, especially if you show.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I am so glad I am only attracted to strongly fragrant roses, otherwise I will go broke with this addiction! I am also glad that I cannot stand the myrrh and licorice scents.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    8 years ago

Sutekesh - I don't know if you're checking back in, but I have a lot of the roses you're planting and thoroughly envy you the ones I don't have. My goodness - Summer Lodge is drop dead GORGEOUS. That one is now on my "unobtainable" wish list, along with Mind Games, Blauwestad, and City of Carlsbad. You'd think that a Carruth rose would be available in the US, but no go (at least not mail order).
    In zone 6, you should be fine overwintering these. Papageno, Oranges & Lemons, and Marvelle all overwinter fine for me in zone 5 and they basically bloom all season. Broceliande is a little winter tender, but well worth it, and should be fine for you in zone 6. Rock & Roll is a trooper and blooms all season - it's taller than most of the other stripes, so put it in the back. Purple Tiger is a bit finicky in almost any zone - I've put it in again grafted and we'll see how it does. The blooms are absolutely gorgeous. Among the russets, you have some of the hardier ones - Brown Velvet is a little picky for me, but Terracotta, Cinco de Mayo, and Hot Chocolate are tough as nails, and particularly Cinco de Mayo blooms all the time. Iris Webb would go nicely next to Cinco de Mayo, as it picks up the same orange tones, and it's a bit tender in my zone so protect it in yours. Lavender Pinocchio is surprisingly hardy for a lavender, and Eddy Mitchell (Dark Night here) should be hardy, but I have had trouble with grafted ones and canker to get it well established.

Of course we want pictures, going with the theme of this thread, since at nearly 1000 roses now I still "gotta have it" with these stripes and oddball roses.

Cynthia

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    8 years ago

Cadiarose, I would love to see a picture of your PRETTY LADY ROSE with all those buds/blooms! Isn't it suppose to me fragrant, too?

• cadiarose
    8 years ago

Kentucky_rose, I'll try to get a photo of it if it stops raining tomorrow. Not sure what she'll look like after the rains end, though. I was hoping to bring a spray to a show this weekend.

And I do believe she's fragrant. I've had such a bad time with allergies this year I haven't stuck my nose in hardly any roses!

8 years ago

Well I am definitely passionate with roses. I figured it is no different than any other hobbies or collection. You just want to add more to what you have. Of course every year new ones comes out and you want it. There is just no end to it..lol.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It's all about passions in life. I think most of rose gardeners here also have passions in fashions, not just roses, we have better tastes in clothing, shoes, hats. There are only 2 rose gardeners here have passions in riding: Daisy and I. Are there any more? Check in here! :-) How many rose gardeners have passions in cars? Half of the people here, I am just guessing. :-) Live a life you love, got to have it, go for it! :-)

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

I'm pretty much maxed out, but this past spring I had an opportunity to get my hands on a rose that I grew way back in the 1980's. Caramel Cream. Only problem was I had to have an order of 4 roses (Nelson's FL. Roses). That was OK. I also ordered 2 JFK's and 1 LD Braithwaite. All on fortuniana rootstock. I grew JFK in FL. for many years, so I know what it is capable of. I think JFK likes N.E. GA. Even my wife is a little surprised at the size and form of the blooms. The blooms on Caramel Cream are just what we remembered. LD Braithwaite has been going crazy since in has hit the ground. I'll be making a trip to FL. this summer and I'm pretty sure a few of the older roses that Nelson's sells will jump into the buggy for the trip back to N.E. GA.

8 years ago

Interesting thought, Summersrhythm. I've never thought about it that way. I guess it is true, people who love roses are probably more refined in their taste in life.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You got it JJpeace. :-) You're in Canada, are you far from Palatine nursery? We had a group ride to Canada last Sat, rode passed the area wasn't far from Palatine, I couldn't drag the whole group to a nursery though, they're riders not gardeners. :-) I have to visit there someday and somehow.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago

Ken, I managed to snag a caramel cream from nelsons also. And a grace de Monaco too. :)

8 years ago

Summer, yea I live a few hours away. I have not been to Palatine either. I have yet to order from them too. I rather see the plant in person in general before buying. But I know what you mean. I talk about roses and garden and rave about them at work and my friends, that I am sure they are tired hearing it...lol.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago

The 3 must-have classic rose varieties are, in my opinion, Mister Lincoln, Sunsprite, and Sterling Silver. I could live with just these three.