SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Sand(y) rose bed!

SoFL Rose z10
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all! I got some new roses for Christmas (some barefoot Austin's and a cherry parfait and bolero) for a rose bed I am preparing in my side yard. I was horrified to find however that after lifting up some large pavers the entire area is pure sand! I dig and dig and it's just sand and more sand. There seems to be no soil no matter how far I dig (so far almost 3 feet deep).

I don't understand why it's all sand because the other end of that same side yard has soil and many plants. But where the pavers were its sand as far as the shovel can dig.

What is the best way to prepare this sand pit for my roses? Am I completely screwed or can I still make my bed? So far I dug out a section thats about 3ft by 3ft. I removed the sand almost 3 feet deep and added a mixture of 1/2 compost and 1/4 peat miss and 1/4 sand. Will this be enough to get the roses started?

Should I make a raised bed to add another foot of soil so that the roots are not as close to the sand?

Will the sand deep below ever improve with the amendments I've added on top?

I know it's not the ideal area to plant roses but it's the only sunny location I have so it's either this or no roses at all. :(

Comments (10)