SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spark204

Water Test Results/Filtration/Softener set-up question(s) -Lurker?

spark204
9 years ago

There are many knowledgeable people on this forum. I am hopeful that insight can be shared - with my sincere gratitude. I really don't want to be taken for a ride yet want to do whats best for me and my girls. Here's what I'm looking at:

House set up

4 bedrooms/2 full/one half bath. 3000 sq. ft with 1500 additional sq. feet in finished basement.

3 people in household (one teen - so make it 4 for better accuracy of water use)

Guests often

Large jacuzzi tub with hand shower attachment

Inground sprinkler system. Outdoor hoses also used frequently in summer for plants, as well.

Plans to renovate bathroom to include steam shower, body sprays and hand shower in addition to existing stationary shower head that now exists - if this would change sizing, I would rather anticipate.

Community well water

Water test results:

PH 7

Lead 2.3 ppb

Copper 0.12 MG/L

Sodium 48.05 MG/L

Chloride 156 MG/L

Conductivity - 968.5 (what causes this to be so high?)

Total dissolved solids 526

Hardness 328 (very hard)

Nitrates 12.93 MG/L (problem)

Nitrite <0.01 MG/L

Radon 1717.5 pci/L (active radon mitigation in the house)

Coliform - negative

Are there any other tests I should do based on these results? Have I missed anything important?

I've been reading through different posts on this forum. Right now, all that is in place in my house is an AquaPure cartridge filter which turns very brown in 30 days and is a pain to open/replace cartridges.

I was thinking of having two cartage filters for the whole house. Does this make sense? Is there a brand you would recommend?

Water softener: I am open to suggestions on sizing and brand. Kinetico seems recommended, yet pricey. I don't love the marriage with the dealer since dealer reviews seem to run the gamut. Fleck seems more reasonably priced with parts more readily available. I would be very interested to hear input on this. I am not into high maintenance. I appreciate quality and things that don't break. I like the idea of the two tank system Kinetico offers....although it seems regeneration can not be programmed to a specific time...? We use water at all different times. I don't want to be stuck waiting for the softener to regenerate when looking to take a bath.

Point of use RO. I have heard mixed reviews on whether hard water is or is not safer to drink than RO. In Costa Rica, they are looking at the potential of crediting the minerals in their hard water to lower cancer rates. Thoughts? Lurker - if you're still around I would love the link you had emailed for a company you know of that offers good RO options. I was looking at the Kinetico K5. Looks flexible for different issues, but lord is it pricey. I'm not into leaks, tho.

It seems I should bypass outdoor hoses and in ground sprinkler system, correct?

What is the best option for getting rid of Nitrates? I don't have infant age children, but I still don't want Nitrates in our water. I also generally don't trust private well operators since they are not held to EPA standards. I would want a set up that would take care of coliform or some other issues that may not be showing in this test should it be an undetected problem prior to my next independent water test.

Small amounts of chlorine showed up in my water which seems to be something I don't want to get rid of for bacteria sake, correct?

I've seen mixed reviews on carbon filters. Is it better to have a whole house filter (like the Aquapure I have now) right off the main that then feeds to the softener? Would putting a second one in be overkill?

I saw something about setting up a shut off valve at the softener in case there is an issue so we can still have untreated water if the softener is in need of repair. Is there any special set up with this or type of control valve that should be preferred?

Any input on brands, size, setup would be extremely helpful.

Thanks so much.

Comment (1)