SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jseyfert3

How important is water testing before getting a softener?

jseyfert3
10 years ago

Hey all,
My Waterboss softener which was in my house when I bought it in August started getting stuck on regeneration after the first 4-5 regen cycles it did. After some research, rather then repair the 14 year old softener, I decided it was probably time to replace it.

I've done quite a lot of reading on softeners, a lot of which was actually here. I was wondering though, I always see a detailed request for water specs. I understand the hardness and iron, but why all the others if it's just a softener being installed? And where can a lab quality water sampling be done? Is there some good online ones that you can send a sample to through the mail?

It's probably dependant on the water testing, but I'm also looking for a suggestion on brand/source of softener to get. I did get a quote on a couple systems, Kinetico and Canature, from the local Kinetico dealer, but the price turned me off. I consider myself fairly capable of the DIY install of a water softener. Besides, the entire "water test" was basically a mild scare tactic to get you to buy a really expensive softener, carbon filter, and RO system. He referred to nitrates as being "sewage", asking how much sewage I want to drink (never mind Illinois is one giant farmfield), had me write the results of the "water test" down myself, and other such things, like saying the 16 gpg hardness was 9.6 lb of rock per month going through my pipes. Here's my "portable lab" results:

Needless to say, the entire thing just seemed like a joke to someone like me (sophomore engineering student) and they price really made me think about the install and realizing two water connections and one drain connection won't be hard at all.

This is my first house. I'm 22, I have a roommate who's around the same age. Eventually, I'll be getting married, and say 3-4 years down the road there MAY be a child or even two...who knows. I figure within around ten years I'll be somewhere else. 1.5 bathrooms, no fancy tubs or showers. Single knob, pull on/push off tub faucet will fill a 5 gallon bucket in 45 seconds when set straight between hot and cold...5 gallon bucket in 46 seconds when set on only cold.

Water supply is city water, treated with chloramine. The water supplier water reports from 2012 are available here in what they call
basic and detailed.

Anything else you need from me, let me know and I will do my best to provide it to you.

Comments (5)