SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beeps_gw

Water Softener - How do you get safe warm/hot water?

beeps
11 years ago

I'm having a soft water loop installed in my new build and will be getting a water softener. I've had a water softener before and am not sure how I dealt with this issue previously, if I even dealt with it. I may simply not have known or understood and used water for human and animal consumption that I should not have. I really don't remember.

My understanding is that a) you shouldn't drink softened water due to the high sodium content, and b) only the cold water at the kitchen tap will be unsoftened - it will bypass the water softener. So, water is really only fit for consumption if it comes from the cold tap.

This is sounding pretty inconvenient to me. The thing I have to do most often is reconstitute dried dog food with warm water. But, I won't be able to do that any longer because I won't be able to draw consumable warm water from the tap. How do you deal with only being able to use cold water from the tap?

I know there are solutions like microwave the 5-6 cups of water I need or warm them up in a pan on the stove, etc. But seriously... how inconvenient not to just turn on the hot water and mix his food? What do the rest of you do? I'm tempted to have them bypass the entire kitchen sink, but then the dishwasher won't have softened water.

Thoughts?

Comments (16)