SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bb1248

Water Test Results. Now What?

bb1248
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My wife and I recently purchased a house with a private well. The water quality is poor so we had the water tested by a state certified laboratory. From an aesthetic standpoint the water has an overwhelmingly strong sulfur smell with hot water (I installed a new Aluminium anode rod in the water heater already, no effect), easily noticeable sulfur smell with cold water. There is rust staining in toilet (brand new) and the taste is just awful. We're currently drinking bottled water only.

What we want in the end is clean, safe, good tasting water that we don't have to worry about cooking with or our two young children drinking daily. I also homebrew so it would be great to be able to use water from the tap instead bottled water every brewday. Here's what we have:

Arsenic 0.003 mg/L

Barium 0.25 mg/L

Calcium 68.4 mg/L

Iron 1.44 mg/L

(I haven't noticed any signs of Iron bacteria so far)

Magnesium 22.1 mg/L

Potassium 2.1 mg/L

Sodium 33.1 mg/L

Strontium 0.2 mg/L

Sulfur 9.9 mg/L

Alkalinity 213 mg/L

Bicarbonate 212 mg/L

Bromide 0.11 mg/L

Carbonate 0.87 mg/L

Chloride 50 mg/L

Color 50 c.u.

Hardness 262 mg/L (15.3 gpg)

PH 7.6

Salinity 0.3125 ppt

Silica 10.0 mg/L

Sulfate 29 mg/L

Turbidity 6.89 NTU

Total diss solid (estimated) 421 mg/L

So my thought was maybe a Terminox ISM to take care of the Iron, Sulfur and Magnesium (assuming I have the water pressure to handle the backwash, I haven't calculated it yet) with a softener after it for hardness? Hoping to get some insight from the experience I've been reading on this board lately. Brand/model recommendations wold be great too. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)