SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_37338900

Home water filtration and water softeners

User
7 years ago

Hi! I'm a complete newbie here, and a newbie with this topic. We live in a suburb of Houston and have city (municipal) water. I don't have water testing results to give, but I know it's hard (we get deposits all over our glass and faucets) and there is a distinct chlorine smell and taste to our water out of the faucet. There was also a recent report that the majority of the areas in Houston tested positive for high levels of chromium 6 in the water.

I have begun researching whole house filtration systems and feel a lot overwhelmed. We've talked to the EcoWater people through Costco, along with another company that installs RainSoft systems. Both are quite expensive. From what I've read here so far EcoWater products are good, but they charge you a premium. Fleck seems to be the brand of choice.

My question is this: the EcoWater guy claims that their system (ERR3702 model) will both filter, including filtering chloramines, various medicines, and chemicals, and soften the water for the whole house and then they can do a RO system that will filter drinking water further. Do the Fleck water softener systems also do something similar, or would we need to buy both a softener and a home water filtration system (and then probably an RO on top of that)? Is what the EcoWater guy is claiming a bunch of hot air? Perhaps I'm being paranoid and a whole house filtration system is overkill, and we just need to focus on just softening the water for the whole house and filtering the water from our kitchen sink. Thoughts?

Comments (8)