SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fifer1

New house water filtration and softening plan

Ed
7 years ago

I apologize for what is sort of a double post, but my last post was a very specific and narrow question.

I'm building a new house in Ridgefield, WA.

We have hard water in our area. The city water is well water. The hardness is not that high but I have talked to new homeowners in my development and they are having issues. They put in another well by our development and the hardness may be higher from that source. I will be getting a sample from a house two doors down from mine shortly to both test on my own and take to a lab.

We are going to be in this house for a very long time so I'm trying to get as much done up front to cover things and give us maximum flexibility as I can.

I'm putting in 3 big blues and then an over sized water softener.

I'm planning on the first one being clear to allow for visual inspection of the sediment filter that is most likely to show visual signs of needing to be cleaned/changed.

I'm planning on getting the big blues with drains in the bottom to make changing filters easier!

For filters I'm looking at something like the following:

5 micron pleated that can be cleaned and reused a number of times.

An RFC carbon filter

Not sure on a third, maybe a finer micron filter? Or nothing for now.

These are mainly to protect the softener and help it run most efficiently and take care of chlorine.

I'm also planning on a bypass that can bypass either the whole processing setup or just the filters, or the softener.

While I'm only planning on having a sediment filter in the first housing, I want to treat each housing like I might put anything in it.

I'm putting in pressure gauges at each stage, either between or getting housings with the gauges already installed. (would love a recommendation between these two choices!)

The incoming line is 1" and I'm going to keep everything 1" through the entire processing system. At the end it steps down to either 3/4" or 1/2" (need to double check). The entire house is being done in PEX and I'm leaning that way in my setup, though I may use something else for the interconnect between the big blues to make it easier to install the gauges.

The house is over 3,000 sq/ft and has 3 bathrooms. While there are only 3 of us now, that may change, and we have a very large tub, a double headed steam shower and a few other things. I want to make sure that I can do what I want now and in the future with my water processing while minimizing the impact on water pressure.

The water softener I'm looking at is a Fleck 9000, between 40k and 60k grains. I'm not sure on the resin, though I'm looking at something like SST-60.

I'm interested in the difference between the sxt and the xt versions of the valve.

I have a utility sink just a few feet to the right of where all this is going in and I plan on putting in a T between the wall and the trap in the drain, putting in a trap and then a riser of a foot or so that I can put in the drain for the water softener.

I had the outside bibs bypassing my processing loop.

I would love it if one of these valve units had remote connectivity so I could easily check on the status of things and track data over time easily, but not at all a big thing. May be an arduino based project in the future.

I know much of this is way overkill by most standards but that is the way I'm wired!

Any observations, suggestions, or ideas are welcome!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations