SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Very odd development with Reverse Osmosis system - strange smell

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have a system I bought years ago an at internet aquarium supplier, which I've modified over the years.

I use the Pentek washable filters. The neighborhood water supply here is extra mucky seeming, so I added a pre-pre-filtering stage a while ago. I now have: 50 micron, 10 micron, 2 micron carbon, and a backup catalytic carbon. The 50 micro catches particles so large they are often discretely visible to the naked eye...that's how bad the water supply here is. Little black bits of rust or whatnot.

Today I went to rinse off the 50 micron filter, opened it with my filter wrench and even before pouring it, was hit was a nasty odor. What it resembled is really surprising: 2, 4-D. Yep, the chlorinated herbicide. Not a little strong. Very strong. No normal person would be willing to drink water smelling this way. The water out of the tap, which I brush my teeth with etc., definitely does not smell so bad. It does have a slightly chlorine odor as you would expect.

I'm not worried about it being in my final supply, because I have a post-carbon filter after the storage tank. (so it will have gone through 3 carbon filters in addition to the membrane) But I wonder why it is forming. I know the reaction of organic material and chlorine for disinfection can form chlorinated organic compounds. But clearly something else is going on here, locally I mean. I wonder if I have a microorganism living in the fiter housing that is causing this to happen at a higher rate? By feeding off all the junk trapped there, and chlorinating it in the process. (I believe the reason these compounds form at all in munipical water supplies is due to the actions of microorganisms)

Anyone seen something like this before, or I should say smelled something like it?

Comment