SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...

roseseek
9 years ago

After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen again. I lied. I've potted what MUST go with me and sent many off to loving homes with Kippy and other friends. But, there are still some on the hot, dry, dusty hill available for anyone near Encino or able to make the trek here to drag them home.

Those I feel would make the move easily include..

Velvet Fragrance - own root and a large plant.

Secret's Out - budded, the white sport of Secret.

Orangeade - own root, one of the Sequoia Nursery breeding plants. Not just the variety they used, but physically one of the plants Sequoia put pollen on to produce many of their roses.

Miracle on the Hudson - own root, originally from the breeder himself.

Gentle Annie - budded. Sean McCann's mauve floribunda which can perform like a mauve Iceberg.

Purple Passion - budded.

Front Page - budded.

Cl. Yellow Sweetheart - own root.

Pink Gate - own root.

MORcrest - own root. Not a happy plant. I've budded one to take with me but the own root plant is up for grabs for anyone wishing to come dig it up.

Trumpeter - own root, smallish.

Muriel - own root. Climbing Bracteata seedling. The original Bracteata hybrid created by Ralph Moore and from which all of his Brateata hybrids have been bred. He considered it highly enough to name it for his mother.

Purple Skyliner - own root.

Clair Matin - own root.

0-47-19 - own root. Ralph Moore's Wichurana X Floradora breeder. Once flowering rambler and a very nice rose in itself as well as possessing some very worthwhile traits to mine by breeding.

Indian Love Call - own root and parts of the original seedling. Too large to take as a whole, so I've separated a smaller piece and potted it to take with me.

Baby Faurax standard - own root..sort of. I quadruple budded this standard on Cardinal Hume way back in 1994 and have grown it now in three gardens. Completely viable but needs a bit of attention to the Cardinal Hume sucker on one side. Can easily be groomed into a lovely polyantha standard. Cardinal Hume prevents it from demonstrating the terminal chlorosis so prevelant in these soils and heat.

Eyeconic Lemonade - own root. Great rose, I simply have too many to move to add one I can easily replace.

Blue for You - own root. I have copies to move. This is the larger plant in the ground.

PM me if you are interested and able to dig and take them home before March 10, the close of escrow! What remains after that date WILL be bull dozed when the hill is developed. There are a few others, but I'm out of characters. Kim

Comments (47)

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    9 years ago

Kim, on this new forum format, it is only possible to PM you if you are following that person (unless they already have your personal email). BTW, are you still going to be a So Cal guy? I hope so and wish you well on your move.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Bonnie, thank you. SoCal? I think it's more Central California coast. Between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach area. Thank you! If the PM doesn't work, its easy. Use my screen name here and it's on America On Line. That should give enough information to enable direct emails without opening myself to spam! Kim

• Related Discussions

Painting the house - need advice re taking down roses

Q

Comments (9)
    I had to cut back a lot when I had my house painted. My climbing roses were on the front, which is stone, but they spread over the side which needed to be painted. So I simply cut those branches that were over there. On the side I had to severely prune my azaleas. But they grew back and looked better. It's hard but you may be surprised. Last year, my huge Teasing Georgia was on an umbrella trellis. We had a bad storm and the wind broke the trellis (I think it was rusting already) and the rose and trellis was completely horizontal. We had to cut the rose off the trellis. Which meant that we took off most of the rose. What happened is that the sun then was able to hit the base of the rose and it put out many new canes. Of course, being the procrastinator that I am, I did not get the new pillar until a few months went by. To get the rose on it, we had to cut off all but 3 of the new canes (which by this time were 5 feet tall). So we took these three canes and wrapped them around the pillar. It looked so bare, especially when it snowed: But as you can see, it responded with TONS of new growth and now you can't even see the pillar! (TG is on the left, you can just see the tip of the pillar) I would take this opportunity to cut back the roses and leave two or three newer canes. Then after the painting is over, if the season is right, fertilize the heck out of the plant and start fresh. I plan on doing that to my two front climbers after they finish blooming.
    ...See More

Arboretum shovel pruned my favorite rose!

Q

Comments (12)
    Public gardens don't often realize that certain plants may have a host of 'groupies' that visit year after year and anticipate seeing 'their' particular plant at its peak. On a recent trip to a garden I visit frequently, I was dumbstruck to find that one of my favorite plants there, a fabulous large pomegranate tree with peachy, pastel blooms, had vanished. Must have been diseased, I thought. When I happened to encounter a member of the garden staff, I inquired about the pomegranate. The reason for its removal left me incredulous: Cut down because the new manager of the gift shop wanted more natural light as a backdrop to a display of colored glass.
    ...See More

Shovel Pruned Virused Rose: Can I replant?

Q

Comments (14)
    For someone in zone 10, there probably is very little chance of mosaic type virus spread as the rose's immune system is effective at high temperatures. ----------------------------------------- Concerning Davis's indexed roses. Davis has recently published a paper where they announced that they found an aphid spread virus in their indexed rose plantings (see page 511): "In this test, RSDaV was detected in many different rose species and cultivars from the Foundation Rose Collection at FPS. In all, 129 plants in this collection were tested, and 77 were positive for RSDaV. Some of the hybrid rose cultivars tested positive for RSDaV included Queen Elizabeth, China Doll, Heirloom, Lowell Thomas, Jack Frost, New Dawn, Uncle Joe, Bridal White, Butterscotch, and Cynthia. It is interesting that the virus was detected in more than 69 plants in two rows (total number of plants in these rows was 89) of the collection which were planted in the mid 1990s. In all, 162 samples of R. multiflora from the virusindexing rose blocks also were assayed in the spring and RSDaV was found in 94 plants. The majority of RT-PCR-positive R. multiflora plants were symptomatic. Another 40 additional plants from the same virus-indexing blocks were tested in the summer and 6 were positive." Here is a link that might be useful: link for above.
    ...See More

How Many Times Have You Built a New Home (or had someone build it)?

Q

Comments (33)
    The house we'll build next year will be our last house. I did look to buy instead of build but we really just want what we want--and don't want to compromise as much as we'd have to if we buy and remodel. Completely agree ... we also looked for something existing that we might update a bit, but found that the non-negotiable items on our list just couldn't be found in an existing home. So glad we built. We've been in the house for almost 3 months now and we're really happy with how it turned out and how it works for us. There are always some bumps in the road, but knowing our budget and what our priorities were (plus a really good contractor) helped to make this build a fairly smooth process. Hope things go well for you. It seems the consensus here is previous experience does make a big difference.
    ...See More
  • roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Additional roses to the list...

Mel's Heritage - own root. I propagated a smaller one for myself.

Mr. Bluebird - own root.

Pookah - own root.

Mutabilis - own root.

R. Hugonis - own root, no suckers.

R. Roxburghii - own root, no suckers, the double form.

Pink Poodle - own root.

Mary Rose - budded, established Star commercial plant.

Pink Pet - own root and VERY unhappy as it has always been here.

Anda - own root, (2).

• David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a
    9 years ago

Kim, could you send them to Australia please, I will give any you have left a good home.

Regards David.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sure, David! Better yet, you and Carole come visit, dig them up and help move! LOL! Kim

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    9 years ago

Off topic: Good to see you Kim. I was concerned because I hadn't see you on the forum for so long. I even emailed Jeri. She filled me in on your move, and how busy you've been. And gosh darn it, I live too far away to take your orphan babies off your hands, lol.

John

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi John, thank you! I appreciate your noticing I wasn't around as much. I'm excited and sad about the move. The house is wonderful. I would move it with me in an instant, but that isn't possible, unfortunately. It's been a GOOD house for sixty years and could easily remain so if the land weren't too valuable for too small a house for the area these days. No one wants a 2,000 sq ft mid century custom, not built by a known builder/designer, in an area of McMansions, particularly with a killer view and a large, private, secure hill. The thoughts of it being torn down hurt, but that's the nature of things today. I wish you were close enough to tote these things home. They feel like family members. As you would feel about a litter of puppies or kittens you want to find loving homes for. Dumb, huh? Thanks! Kim

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Kim. I guess with the major change in your life, the changes to this forum seem petty/trivial in comparison, lol. And no, it's not dumb to be attached to your roses and want the best for them. You're talking to the guy who cried when he had to dig up a 30 year old City of York taken as a cutting from my grandmother's plant, because it succumbed to RMV. I did. I sat down on the ground and cried, lol. Here's hoping SOMEone will take your roses and love them like you have.

John

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, John. Thankfully, RMV doesn't kill roses here. I can understand your feelings about the City of York from your grandmother's garden. Kim

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

New property have a well, Kim? Nice area up there; we visited a couple of months ago. Best wishes to you on your move.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Hoov, thank you! No well, thankfully! City water, city sewer, no septic no worries about a well running dry or someone fouling it. Should anything happen to the water, the whole city is behind you. Not a guaranty, but better than going it alone! Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

OH, I so wish I could come out and dig up a few for you! I wish you good luck and good fortune on your move though!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Sharon! I wish you could, too. Thank you for the best wishes, I appreciate them. I honestly don't think I'm going to need them, though. The hardest part is sorting through all the "stuff" which has accumulated over the years and getting all that needs to go with me, packed. Most of the roses have gone to loving homes. I'm taking "my roses", the new seedlings from last year, last year's seeds which haven't been planted yet and a smaller, choice collection of commercial, found and breeder roses to the new place. It's going to be quite a learning experience with them, going from savannah (hot, dry, sunny) to much milder, nearly coastal conditions. Plus, I have the ability to get bud wood and cuttings from them all should I determine I should have hung on to any of them. Best of all, though, dear friends now have new "babies" to learn to love as I have. That's fun! Kim

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

You are a little too far from Texas for me to come dig, but would if I could. I have always found it sad to leave where I have lived, but where I am now is where I will be. All the best to you in your move, I know what a lot of work that is. Hope you will continue to post, I read everything you write and respect your opinion so much. Also hope you will post photos of your new home!

Judith

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, Judith! Thank you! Yes ma'am, I'll still be here, thank you! It's going to take a little while to mitigate some landscaping issues to prepare the space for roses, but I'm used to a "pot ghetto". At least there, they won't fry as badly. When everything is pretty great for all the goals except the landscaping and engineered soil, you make compromises. Once settled, I get to hire someone to remove two, HUGE Washingtonia (trash palms), two liquid ambers, one white birch, two tree junipers and a long hedge of waist high junipers as well as long established bermuda grass lawns. It WILL get done! Kim

9 years ago

Well, PINK GATE has a new home now, from Kim's place to mine. Thank you, Kim for giving the rose and Cristina for bringing it to me. I hope it will like its new spot. I wonder if I need to trellis it, or will it grow like a massive shrub and reach out for the wall?

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're welcome, Bonnie. I think you will enjoy it. As soon as I suggest it will be "mannerly", it will eat your yard, pool and daughter, so I am going to plead the Fifth! LOL! Kim

9 years ago

Ha Ha. That area is by my driveway, so it will probably go for the car first. I'll be sure to keep you updated with photos. :)

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

At least I know Pink Gate is healthy, smells good and doesn't BITE! Thanks. Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I have cuttings growing from guessing this pink gate and they have been very mannerly so far

• DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
    9 years ago

We are actually coming down to SoCal to visit the family this week and I would love a couple of the roses you have listed (if still available). But I can only make it out on Monday on my way back to NorCal. Would that work for you? I'm going to try to PM you!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Someone who really "needs" more roses brought "her man" with her and has removed everything I was concerned with. Her husband must be "sticking pins in my doll" because of them as I am feeling my over exertion! LOL! Now, it's just a matter of getting things packed and all the dominoes in place so they all fall where they need to fall, when they need to be there. Enjoy your trip! Kim

9 years ago

Wow! Well it would have been nice to adopt some of your plants and meet you! but I'm glad they didn't get bulldozed all the same :) good luck with the move! We have moved many times just in the past 8 years of our marriage for school and work, and are finally in a stable home. So I am well acquainted with the hassles of packing and moving and I wish you well. I hope that one day we can say we've been somewhere for 60 years :)

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations! Thank you. Though I've not been here that long (five or six years), I'm helping deal with forty years of "collecting". Fun stuff. Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Oh good! I was worried when I only saw a few find homes!

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many have! From nine pages on HMF to five and over three hundred named varieties to fewer than 148. But, there are MANY unnamed seedlings!

9 years ago

Oh gosh! I completely merged 2 different threads that I was reading in the wee hours last night. Someone else was talking about living in their home 60 years. Hhahaaa funny mistake.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Kitty. We'll see how long it takes to back hoe out all the existing stuff and created some drainage in the engineered soil. Going to be "interesting"! Kim

• caflowerluver
    9 years ago

So you are moving closer to my neck of the woods, Monterey Bay. Pismo Beach area is only about a 2.5 hour drive away from Santa Cruz area. Good luck with your move and going through everything. Wise to do it before rather than after like I did when we moved here 29 years ago. And happy to hear that all your roses found a home.

Clare (Formerly aptosca but someone took my name so had to come up with a new one.)

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Clair. I'll look forward to running into you at some rose events up there! Kim

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Are you planning to do a cleanup spray on your plants before you move them? Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go to new ground without any rust or b.s. hanging around. My friend down the street can water late into the day with never a problem. He never had diseases come in. It used to be that way for me but I brought in plants by mail that carried them in. I have a quarantine on both sides of the house where it has never been and I can grow the roses that struggle under the pressures of disease. They grow very well and keep their leaves until I remove them by pruning or they drop of old age.

I was wondering if you had thought of this since you are moving your plants. It seems like a great opportunity to be free of leaf problems. If I had to do it again, I would have quarantined my plants at first. I am slowly getting areas of the garden cleaned up but it's been a long battle especially without the help of sprays.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No ma'am, I don't spray and it won't make any difference spraying them here or not. There are fungal issues where I'm going and some where I am. You can't tell what is resistant to what if you use chemicals. Plus, I react to many of them and I am simply too cheap and lazy to go to the expense and effort. Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

The plus side of moving to that area is the soil must be fairly good to start with since it has been farm land for a long time. It was nice and cool and very green as I drove through the area yesterday. Costco had citrus trees in case you want one

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I don't need/want any more trees of any kind. The area does have wonderful, sandy, farm-land soil. MINE, however, was built in 1984 and sits on totally engineered, seismically stable soil. I took a shovel with me for the home inspection and, as I feared/expected, I couldn't dig holes anywhere. But, that date also means no lead, no asbestos, copper plumbing, seismic stability and the appropriate wiring. As I've written, there are plenty of "deal breaker" plants in that yard and they will all require a back hoe to eliminate them and their roots. Fortunately, there is room in the budget for that and some of it will be required to replace a run of fencing that should have been replaced some years ago, with block wall. (also budgeted). Hopefully someone will actually want to buy the two, fifty-plus-foot Washingtonias by the front public sidewalk, and, hopefully, with underground utilities, they aren't right on top of something preventing the use of mechanical extraction. The white birch (gross!) is in the middle of the front yard and MUST go to the landfill, as do the tree and bush junipers and the two liquid ambers in the rear. I know, awful choice for wanting to actually PLANT anything, but a great one for location, durability, safety, logically arranged floor plan, space, condition and price. I've dealt with this kind of soil situation before and it isn't "fun", but it is doable. I can live with those kinds of problems more easily than having to abate hazardous substances and issues in the house which shouldn't have been issues in the first place.

And, as I just remembered, NO gophers! Every neighborhood I viewed potential homes in which weren't on engineered soil, had gopher issues. None of them on rock hard, compacted soil had any obvious gopher activity. The final, remaining in-ground roses left here a little while ago in the rain. Miracle on the Hudson seemed too easy to dig. I expected from the three new mounds near it and the filled escape hole next to the plant, there were few remaining roots. That happened between last night and this morning as the plant had freshly opened flowers on it with new growth and none of it expressed any displeasure with not having water intake. Bare rooting it to be soaked in a tub of water than potted in the rain will make it completely happy. It shouldn't even notice it had its root system eaten. And, I shoudln't have to worry about these "rodents" again! Kim

Kim

9 years ago

Hi KIm: You don't like white birch trees? I think they are so pretty. How do you deal with engineered soil? Put good soil on top? Bonnie

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    9 years ago

I'm wondering the same thing, jasmine- are you looking at raised beds, Kim?

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Kim -- It sounds like most, if not all, of the roses is gone. Glad to hear it. And I look forward to knowing that you're so close to our "beaten path." We will pass you several times a year, so I figure, we'll be seeing you.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I could learn to love any soil that kept away gophers.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Thinking Kim wants a power auger for a house warming gift.

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL! Thank you. Yes, pretty much all of them, except the climbers, Hugonis, Roxburghii and the Ausins (which aren't worth the effort in this climate) are now moved to new homes. Engineered soil requires mechanical digging to excavte a hole. Refill it with the native, unamended soil and plant on top of the uncompacted mound. It will settle with time and the "bucket" you've created will eventually collect water. The difference is, that is all very much inorganic sub soil which often has ground water in it. Inorganic material doesn't sour when submerged under water. The deeper tap and anchor roots of pretty much any plant is suited to finding that kind of water and making good use of it. The feeder roots remain in the upper inches which are initially above grade but which will settle with time to about the soil grade level, and will spread out in the upper layer of "top soil" always installed over the engineered soil. That's the issue with planting trees in the stuff. The builders place a thin (often much less than a foot) of "top soil" (read "dirt") over the engineered soil bed then plant in excavated holes which the roots can't penetrate due to lack of air space and drainage. The tree roots grow to the surface where there is oxygen and where they splay out under the turf, resulting in surface roots running in all directions. Some tree and shrubs generate them naturally, such as liquid amber and pepper trees. When planted in engineered soil, their bad traits are exacerbated to the extreme. I plan to have them mechanically removed and the soil excavated to create a bed of loosened sub soil. All organics will go on top of that layer where they will break down and condtion the loosened sub soil as they digest.

White Birch? Nope. Hateful things. Not that they aren't "pretty", but they are much prettier where they are suited, meaning where there isn't aridity, alkalinity and saltiness and where there aren't drying winds and extreme sun and heat. They like cooler, damper climates where their foliage doesn't fry easily, much like avocados and Japanese Maples do. Birches generate a tremendously thick, dense, fibrous root mass under the turf, very much like a carpet backing. I've dealt with many people who love the look of the birches and who virtually always want pansies planted around their trunks to flush out the "Connecticut in the desert" look they desire. Try it once. It doesn't succeed here. The only way to accomplish it is to create a planter around the trunks using large stones; lay in a heavy plastic liner and fill it with potting soil. The stones hold it in place and hide the edges of the plastic from view and support the soil. Do NOT puncture the plastic sheeting or the tree roots will inflitrate the potting soil in a matter of weeks, destroying the whole project. Then plant the annuals you want in the potting soil. IF you're lucky, it will take a year for the tree roots to grow up between the stones and the plastic liner before they infiltrate the soil in it and kill the annuals. I've repeated that process around the same birch trees for the past eight or so years and it has worked as long as there are no drainage holes to give access to the tree roots. When you replant, you often have to rip it all apart and surgically remove the tree root infested root ball, cutting it away from the ground, then replacing the stones and a new liner with new soil and new plants. Because the surface of the makeshift planter is wide enough and it isn't deep, any water that fills the bottom of the liner is either utilized by the annuals, or evaporates quickly enough to prevent it from souring.

I have seen that birch root mass literally expand, pushing Schedule 40 PVC sprinkler lines to the point of shattering. Their roots are perfect for stabilizing creek banks, nearly eliminating erosion. They aren't good to deal with in any area you hope to be able to actually PLANT anything in. If the trees are young, without a great deal of spread yet, you can establish beds of agapanthus or other invasive types and they can do battle quite effectively with the tree roots. A friend has that combination around the front of his home where they have successfully growth together for over thirty years. But once the trees are established and those bloody roots have generated their characteristic mass, you are NOT getting a shovel into the ground from outside their drip zones anywhere near the trunks. Hateful things. Kim

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gophers are like water, electricity and humans, they take the path of least resistance. They are not going to dig through solid rock, which is what engineered soil is created to mimic. When you compress all the air space from between the particles, you are left with rock. No water penetrates as there is no air space between the particles. There is no liquefaction during earthquakes because there is no water in the soil to liquefy it. Seismic waves pass through bed rock very quickly because it is solid, resulting in very little shaking. Sandy or any looser soils, slow down the shock waves so they linger and shake harder. Engineered soil is man made "bed rock". No gopher is going to waste the energy. That's why I have so frequently asked posters here when their homes were built. If it was in the late seventies/early eighties or later, that's what it sits on by State law. Kim

9 years ago

I'm getting the picture, Kim. PINK GATE will need to find its way around Sycamore tree roots. I don't have engineered soil though. I wish you the best with your new home.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Kim, glad to know this about birches. Is it true of river birches as well as white birches [or are they the same thing?]? I planted one in my backyard a couple of years ago. It stands alone - may just have to stay that way. Do the roots spread a long way or are they confined to just around the tree? Hope you will post photos of your new place!

Judith

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Judith! River birches are more heat tolerant than white birches, and here can get even larger with larger root systems. They're pretty trees, in the right places and condtions, but their root systems evolved to stabilize wet soil against erosion and to stabilize them in looser, wetter soils. They just don't play well with hard scape, gardening, plumbing and foundations. We have several other more suitable trees for those types of situations. Koelreuteria paniculata and bipinnata are both much more suited to lawns and gardening with deeper growing, less massive roots for SoCal areas, but even those can be problems on engineered soils. Kim

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Kim - I have been in and out of GW for a while with my own issues and hadn't realized you were moving! It sounds like you have a terrific plan and the worst of the rose moving accomplished for now. I don't envy you the hassle of reshaping and tearing out the existing trees, but as you say the ground stability and lack of gophers makes up for the hassles in the long run. Do any of those trees have invasive suckers that you'll have to watch for, or possible regrowth from pieces of the roots? In my old house, we had invasive deep-rooted plants like Virginia Creeper and "Tree of Heaven" (a massively mis-named junk tree), that I swore I wouldn't deal with in the new house. I was actually glad our new house owners weren't remotely gardeners, so there was little to need to remove to get started.

I'm very glad you've been able to save your own seedlings, since those are priceless and irreplaceable testaments to years of work. In the renovations of the new yard, would that include a greenhouse, or is that unnecessary in your coastal paradise of temperatures? That would be a top wish for me in my retirement here in zone 5, but since I'm nowhere near that age yet I'm not pining too much.

Best wishes on the move and let me know when you're settled enough to want some more band pots. I'll just hang onto them until you want them, as you have plenty of work cut out for you in the meantime, but I always have a collection of them.

Cynthia

• roseseek
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Cynthia! Great to "see you"! Much appreciated. I don't think what has to be removed will regrow, except the Algerian Ivy (ewww!). The worst is, especially in engineered soil, ALL roots possible must be removed or the potential for oak root fungus increases dramatically. It's going to be a "word deleted", but you have to do what you have to do. No, ma'am, a green house isn't a necessity as freezes are virtually non existent. I'm looking at the mountain of "stuff"...a dumpster is looking better and BETTER! Kim