SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Painting the house - need advice re taking down roses

jacqueline9CA
14 years ago

On the South side of our 3 1/2 story house there are 2 gigantic climbing roses, a banksie lutea and a Cl. Cecile Bruner. Both plants reach the roof, and spread over 15-20 feet in width. They are both about 20 years old - I know, because I planted them.

My question is, how low can I cut them and still expect them to grow again, and not die? We are planning on having our Victorian shingled house painted (for the first time in over 40 years - way overdue!) later this summer. I am hoping that by then the birds nests that are in the roses will be empty, and in the heat of summer the roses will be as dormant as they get in this climate.

The problem is, we cannot just take them down from the house and lay them down on the ground, although they both have pretty flexible canes, because they are so enormous, and the bed they are in is only about 5 feet deep, and it runs right along & parallel to our long driveway. Once in a 100 MPH winter wind storm about half of them blew down, and they completely blocked the driveway - filling it up to a height of about 9 feet for 30 feet in length. So, they need to come off the house and also be cut way down. We will try to protect the remaining part at the bottom from the contractors (who will be repairing & re-shingling, etc., as well as painting). My husband has, with great care, tried to explain to me that in order to repair and repaint the house, they DO need to be able to get at it (I still think he thinks I do not believe that), and I do understand that. The plants, of course, have mainly big trunks at the very bottom.

So, if anyone has any experience with similar situations, or any suggestions, I would really appreciate hearing about it. Thanks for your help.

Jackie

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz