SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxyl_gw

We're painting, but the GC's advice is...?

roxyl
14 years ago

We are tackling the job of painting our 2400sqft new construction home. I've painted, but not new construction. I've read 'how to' steps online, but they don't match with what the GC said his paint guy did. Can you clear up what steps we should take?

The GC said the drywall gets PVA, then an orange peel or knock down texture. Then the painter (we) comes in and

1)Sprays 1 finish coat on the pre-primed MDF white trim,

2) masks trim off,

3) sprays and backrolls a 'primer' coat on walls and ceilings with leftover cheap paint,

4) sprays and backrolls the walls/ceiling with one coat of the SW paint.

So...we are under a very tight budget and only 6 days to paint (only 2 of us -yikes!), so I want to get this right.

1) With an orange peel texture (and PVA beneath that), is using paint okay as a primer/first coat? If not, what should I do? I only get 1 finish coat of SW.

2) Is the MDF white trim primer enough and one top coat?

3) is it really most efficient to paint after the trim is installed, not before?

4) I assume that since the base trim is down the flooring is down (??). How to I protect the floors from ceining drips?

I really appreciate your help. I know I am a total novice to new construction, but would really like to make this work well.

Thanks!

Comments (4)