SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurajane02

GC made a little, very expensive, mistake - Advice?

laurajane02
11 years ago

Hi there,

So, my contractor made a mistake with the finishing of our house and I think it's going to be a very expensive mistake to fix. We are building a log post and beam style house. We bought our post and beam package and hired a GC to finish the rest of the house. Anyway, they have been staining the outside of the house. However, today it rained, so DH and I came home from work to find that they had used the exterior stain INSIDE the house (not at all what we want or specified).

Anyway, we believe the fault lies 100% with our GC (but does it?). I have an email specifying the stain for the exterior only. The stain itself is considered an "exterior stain". I verbally told him that the stain on the fascia, siding, and exterior logs would all be the same. We have not discussed interior stain, so I have not specified one.

Regardless, this will need to be fixed by a professional (Our post and beam package came from a company 1000km from us). I am going to make the necessary phone calls tomorrow, but I believe we may need to have some chemical stripping done. I'm so worried that the inside that was finished incorrectly, stripped, and refinished won't look the same as the rest. Sanding is not an option, as these logs were all hand peeled. We may need to have someone who initially built the post and beam portion come to fix this.

It's going to be very expensive. I know what actions I need to take to figure out how to fix this. But I may need advice on how to approach this with the GC (I have spoken to him, so he knows, and no one is touching the logs now until I sort this out). DH and I have had a good experience with our GC until now. We have been happy with all his work and not had an issue. I guess I'm just looking for advice.

For perspective, here are some older photos of our build (it's too dark now to take new photos):

{{gwi:1509624}}

{{gwi:1509626}}

FWIW, I doubt anyone here is familiar with this product, but we used Sansin Nano Natural #11 stain. Our logs came from: http://www.pioneerloghomesofbc.com/

Comments (27)