SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markar_gw

Expensive glossy tile mistake

Markar
12 years ago

Ok - full disclosure -- this is really about the 1/2 bath next to my kitchen that is being remodeled as the same time as the kitchen, but I hope someone out there might have some advice. Here's the problem: I selected a beautiful hand-made, custom-ordered tile in Silver Sage, which is matte, but mistakenly ordered Silver Haze, which is glossy. I discovered this snafu when I went to pick up the tile after waiting 5 weeks for it to be made per my order. Arrgh! The tile is for the floor of the 1/2 bath, and I've heard that glossy is bad for floors because it's more slippery when wet than matte and the glossiness won't wear well because of foot traffic. I am really bummed, but the glossy tile is really quite beautiful and pretty close in color to the other tile and it's a small 1/2 bath, which reduces the safety concerns for me (no tub or shower). And I could use a small rug to protect it. On the other hand, I'm thinking I might always look at this floor and be bothered by it or that it might wear really badly. It is not out of the question to buy new tile, though I'd rather put that money into something else. So, I'm wondering whether it would be a really bad idea to just use the glossy on the floor -- has anyone had a bad experience with glossy tile on a floor? Will it look odd (like a wall on the floor?!)

Comments (8)