SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Mistakes, Mistakes, Mistakes.... oh my

tinker_2006
15 years ago

Venting.... but feel free to comment or suggest thoughts and opinions.

First I should say, we aren't people who normally complain. We have had little errors along the way, and said nothing, because they weren't that big a deal or major.

Our new home is almost complete! Things have been rolling smoothly right along.. until we reached our near finished line. The Kitchen subs have messed thing up, and they are fixing the issues, but still caused delays and such. But now that they installed the granite - I see that the sink used was NOT what I ordered or expected. It's this sink....

{{gwi:1443806}}

and while it is okay (if you're left handed) , I hate that the faucet/sprayer and soap dis. are all on the left. It's so awkward and weird feeling, and my dishwasher and rest of the kitchen flows to the right side as well. It just feels backwards, and since the granite is cut... I don't know if it can be fixed and at whose expense.

Second big issue is the stair case into the bonus room. This is going to be a little hard to explain. We built this home based on a model, and the model is a carpeted staircase. The carpet appears to roll over a tread (here is a picture snatched off the Internet - NOT ours or the model)

ours we just noticed is flush, squared off - like this sample:

{{gwi:1443808}}

should we complain or are we being way too picky!!?

3rd, they made a mistake with our granite for the island, it was to have a double edge (ogee on top of bullnose) it 6 cm think.. but not the design factor I wanted or expected. This I am certain I will make them fix.

and lastly - the big issue for me right along was the fireplace. I never really "loved" the fireplace in the model, but felt I could live with it someday and buy a mantel once we settle in. Here is a picture of the models fireplace:

{{gwi:1443809}}

now here is a picture of our new house. I don't know if the photo's will show and explain it enough - but the firebox is about 9" higher then the model home. The mantel is 6" higher than the model. I really didn't notice it until today... it seems much more noticeable now since the floors are in, and I think it looks odd at this height! I don't think I could ever even buy a mantel that would work. Fixing it of course would be major - tearing out the brick and reframing the firebox. What do you think?

{{gwi:1429924}}

Comments (21)

• cork2win
    15 years ago

Well, first let me say I feel your pain. DH and I are at a similar stage in our build and we've had our share of issues too. Like you, some we let go, some we don't.

Here's my suggestion. Bring all of your issues to the table with the builder, but know ahead of time which ones you REALLY want fixed and which you can let slide. For me, I could probably let the sink and stairs slide. But that fireplace is just WRONG. If they agree to fix them all, then you're ahead of the game, but if they won't fix them all, then you have a bargaining tool. "Well, I won't make you fix X or Y, but I insist you do something about Z".

I would ask them what they propose to do to correct your items and find out what they say. If they start hemming and hawing which I'm sure they will since I imagine it would be a lot of work to fix these things, then you can start bargaining.

Now, I don't know if ripping that fireplace out is really an option at this point because if it were me, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle, but I'd definitely want them to add a hearth so that the fireplace didn't look so out of whack. Don't these people LOOK at what they're building? That's just horrible! Even with a hearth it's going to be a little bit high, but it might be better.

Good luck. We're both nearly done. I keep telling myself we just have to hang in there a little longer.

• lsst
    15 years ago

I am sorry for your problems.

What does your contract say about substitutions? Does it have a clause stating items may be similar but may not be exact?

As far as your fireplace, I think it would look good with a raised brick hearth. A raised hearth would make the raised box look like it was planned that way.

• Related Discussions

Uh-oh . . . . . Did I make a fatal mistake?

Q

Comments (8)
    I've looked at the book. I think he's in somewhere like Manitoba, and he's playing games. He's planting very, very deep and covering with a very, very loose soil mixture. I plant 2 inches down, and have never had a problem with either being too deep or not deep enough. For a long time, at least 150 years, and possibly much longer, it's been understood that a viable way of zone pushing is to keep things dry. A lot of what he's talking about, I interpret as water management in a fairly dry climate. There hasn't been a lot of feedback about his methods, however it didn't strike me as something where you can take a piece and ignore the rest.
    ...See More

Uh oh ... I think I better correct a mistake

Q

Comments (3)
    I've got a yard full of it. A light frost will knock it back, but it rebounds from the roots. I like the way it looks and I thought I had it restrained by a 3' walk area, but it is relentless. It grows well under my Crimson Queen Japanese maple, where nothing else would, but now it has invaded my Elfin Thyme so I'm just letting them duke it out. We've had our house tented for termites a few times over the years, and even that gas (that kills every living thing) just burned the surface of the baby tears where the tarp covered them. -Babka
    ...See More

My mistakes, my triumphs & my thanks!

Q

Comments (28)
    Good job! Memories of when I first started growing in containers! Watch out, it's addictive... A couple of points for next year. If your soil get saturated in the rain, consider using 5-1-1 mix from the container forum. My plants get tons of rain at times, but never get saturated from it, and in fact, seem to thrive after a long spell of rain. You may be able to leave your plants out of the greenhouse more, which will give them more sunlight. I never worry about leaving them out in the rain. I too have a greenhouse, but only use it in spring and fall for warmth and hardening off. Also, epsom salts is something you should only have to use once or twice a year, not constantly. If you have a properly made soil, it likely has lime in it, and also if your water is pH 8.5, it likely has lots of magnesium in it. Good to correct the pH though when it's that high. All in all though, great to see you succeed!
    ...See More

Oh my.,,, just made a big mistake

Q

Comments (9)
    For months after I had quit as girl of all work at my hometown newspaper I answered the phone at home with, "Herald". My current 'name' problem is learning to respond to my legal first name, when I've never been called by it -- only my middle name, Sue. Social Security, Medicare, doctors, hospitals, even the airlines -- all 'know' me as my legal first and last names. I've written my medical information on the back of my driver's license, along with, "I'm called Sue."
    ...See More
  • klabio
    15 years ago

As for the carpeted stairs, the first picture is called "hollywood style" around here; the second (what you got) "waterfall."

Without having specified one way or the other in you contract you are most likely stuck. Your only out would be to pay someone to come in and pull the runner and re-staple. You would need a scrap for the bottom as hollywood style would use more linear run than waterfall.

I learned all this on another house, and like you prefer hollywood over waterfall. Installers like waterfall and that what you get usually if you don't specify. For what it's worth, even though I prefer hollywood style I forgot to mention it in my contract on the current home and they installed before I could get in. If you can live with it there are probably bigger fish to fry.

• rusty105
    15 years ago

On the stair issue. Is there any overhang, or nose, from the stair above? There may be a building code issue here, if you need to follow any codes. I thought the tread had to be a minimum depth. I am not sure of the specifics, but I would check with the inspector.

Rusty

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

Hi tinker, Sorry you are having such a bad day! On the sink, how different is it from the one you ordered and do you have in writing your selection. Of all the problem you mention, that one, to me, seems like the clearest "mess up". If you clearly specified a different sink and they substituted without your consent, AND it bothers you, I'd make them replace it.

On the steps, after reading klabio's description, I'd say you might be stuck. You could bring it up, but might have to let it go?

Finally, on the fireplace, this is the big one, isn't it. I agree that the fireplace looks way too high and second (or third) the suggestion to add a hearth. It actually looks like there are quite a few differences between the model and your home. Their TV is nestled in an alcove. The space above your FP is flat. They have a flush hearth on the floor and you don't (although maybe that is yet to be added since your floors aren't down?) If it were me, this would be my biggest sticking point. I'd talk to the GC and see what kind of options he suggests to make it look properly positioned.

Best of luck. You're in the final stretch. Hang in there! j.

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

The sink model should be specified in your contract. If they blew it, they should fix it. If the model# wasn't specified, I think you'll have to decide whether or not you want to put out $$ to get it corrected. Consider that the sink's designer apparently meant the primary use of the sprayer to be over the shallow sink -- and that makes the sprayer belong on that side. OTOH, I, and probably you, prefer to spray in the deep sink, and that means a correction is needed.

To me, the staircase would be sticking point. Waterfall is easy to install, and uses less carpeting. However, you need to be very careful that the full depth of tread is available to step on. To me, it's cheap-looking (probably because around here you only see that method of installation in very cheap tract housing) and it's uncomfortable to walk upstairs because it's so often put down in such a way as to shorten the tread. If yours meets safety code as is, then it will depend on whether or not you like it.

If you count the rows of bricks, it is obvious that there are more rows between floor and fireplace in yours than in the model. That's the mason/builder's booboo. I actually like a higher fireplace, but I would insist that they pay for a raised hearth.

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

tinker,
    If your great/family room is big enough I really think the idea of using a raised hearth is good. It will be about 6 or 7 inches high, just what you need. When the room is small is better to have the hearth level with the flooring. I used to have it like this in my old house and was my favorite place to sit when we had a full house.
    About the stair and the sink, if you bought the house based on a model, they should provide as the sample. I know sometimes they can not fing the same materials but this is not the case.
    All they need to change in the stairs are the treads for some that are 3/4" to 1" wider so there is a little overhang to get the "hollywood style" look
    They should change the sink/countertop if that is not what you selected.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Re: the stairs. We at first planned on wood stain finished treads, but on the day they were going to install these - they quoted us $7000.00 which is CRAZY - as we just built a prior home with a custom staircase for $5000.00 This staircase goes up to the bonus room like photo #2 - no newels, or balusters. We told them forget it.. "just do it the same as the model". The model IS the "hollywood" style, they did it different, and it does look cheap, and this home is about $880,000!

The sink.. was to be like the model as well, and they have a different sink. How I ended up with t his - I do not know, but it is on the plumbing list of supplies, so I might be stuck with it. My one option to make it better is to purchase a faucet with a pull-down sprayer, and just have the soap dispense on the left - since 2 wholes were already drilled. In time - I suppose I will get use to it, but it's weird and "feels" weird to both dh and myself.

The fireplace is the biggy. I am afraid they will argue that we should have noticed it before hand.. but I did question the job supervisor and he assured me it measured the same as the model. The TV niche is different - as we did make that area different, as we added an additional 18" to the floorplan, and the change in the built-in's changed the look - which I am fine with.. it's the height of the whole thing that is weird. It was suppose to also have the brick hearth - which I think they forgot. As far as the raised hearth, DH would like that - but I really didn't want a raised hearth because I feel the room is small and a raised hearth could block traffic flow in and around that area, but maybe I will have no choice...? DH is planning on making them rip it out - seems like so much extra work, time and money!

One final thing we are picking a bone about is the ceiling. They had a beam and the drywall wasn't finished flat and left a bump. They attempted to fix it - and now it is worse. The builder is willing to have it ALL re-sanded and refinished - but what a dusty mess that will be!

I don't like to be in this position... but DH and I have moved so much, and now with this house I feel we overpaid in such a bad market, and we plan on staying put for a while (longest home we ever lived in was 4 years!! We have been together for 23... yikes!)

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Concerning the stairs, as rusty mentioned, if the treads are not at the minimum depth allowed and you haven't had your final inspection yet, it will be caught then and they will make you correct it. Might want to double check on that now.

• lavenderblues
    15 years ago

Sorry, but I would demand that the builder fix every single issue that you've raised here. For one thing, each mistake/substitution would NOT be acceptable to me. The sink is wrong, period. The granite is wrong DUE to the sink, as well as the edge finish, and edge finish adds a LOT of class to the granite and overall look of the kitchen.

The staircase? In ANY home, the Hollywood fit is more glamorous, much less yours priced out at almost a cool MIL. For them to even consider installing that carpet with the Waterfall edge was pure laziness, and a hope and a prayer that you'd accept it. DON'T - it's your home, your hard-earned money.

We have a 52" Flat screen mounted above our Mantel, and if you're intending on doing this, your mantel is WAY too high. In fact, looking at the one in the model, I personally believe that one is also too high for comfort, but again, without any word of change from you, they SHOULD have abided by the model, and they didn't.

Don't be shy at making sure you get what you want with your own money. You have every right to do so.

Good luck, and beautiful home from what you've shown here! :)

• bdpeck-charlotte
    15 years ago

Everything that's in the contract is probably what you'll have to live with. Anything not stipulated should be done as the model home, unless noted as an option.

From your explanation, the sink is in the contract (or a material order list) while everything else was a verbal of what to do.

I'd insist on the stairs and fireplace being re-done to match the model. And if your granite edge was stipulated, then they need to fix that. And if that means replacing the granite, then replace the sink with the correct one.

Don't settle on the drywall until it's perfect either.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. DH is planing on meeting with the builder and has every intention of having them make the fireplace and stairs correct. We specified as "in the model" I just feel in a way they will tell us we should have noticed this MONTHS ago before it was complete. I did ALWAYS think it looked strange, but felt it just "needed to come together".

I already told the builder - I couldn't live with the ceiling, he has agreed to fix it so we are satisfied.

The sink - it is in the material list, honestly I didn't plug in the model number to see it, and assumed - so probably MY mistake that will cost me another $600 for a new faucet and even then - something that will most likely bug me for a while.

The granite on the island - I WILL NOT settle for anything else - it's the focal point in the kitchen and I will get that edge!

The stairs.. DH is addressing them, but I don't know if we'll push (but we should). Only reason is that we planned from the beginning to swap them out for real stair treads - without carpet. We just may do that sooner then expected.

So my only real concern is that we NOW noticed the fireplace. It has been totally completed for a month. and the firebox has been there for at least 3 months.

• cork2win
    15 years ago

Don't feel bad about not noticing the fireplace until now. It shouldn't be YOUR JOB to see these things, it should be the foreman's job. Since he's not doing his job and you're having to do it, that's not your problem. Whether you saw it the day it happened or 6 months later, it's still wrong, it's still their fault and it's still their job to fix it.

After seeing what you're paying for this house, I fully agree that they should fix every last thing. They'll try to make you feel bad for asking for it, but too bad.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Guess what I just found... an email to the builder regarding the fireplace!

"After carefully thought and looking again at the model, we have decide to keep it standard, as per model. I may want to make the mantel a few inches lower (just a brick lower), but otherwise - just as per model."

sigh of relief on that one...

• cork2win
    15 years ago

ooh, good, so you have it in writing that you requested the fireplace be just like the model. Thank goodness for email!

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

Now, that e-mail is really, really good news! But TTTT, I think it makes a nice bargaining chip. Would I really demand that they tear out and correct the fireplace? No, but I sure would insist that EVERYTHING else be corrected to your satisfaction and then a 12"-deep raised hearth should be installed (that's enough to bring the firehole back into visual proportion without taking up too much walkspace). Tearing out a fireplace is really big bucks, and they'll save money by doing everything else right and letting you compromise on the fireplace.

Doesn't matter if you are paying 400K or 800K, I don't think it's right for anyone to pay for something and then accept shoddy work (ceiling) or any of the builder's mistakes. That contract works in both directions -- you may have to accept the sink unless you didn't get the model# specified, but he darned well has to provide what was agreed to, unless you are willing to accept otherwise.

And that brings out my suspicious nature: was this the first house to be built like the model (thus allowing that the foreman was too uh-huh to see just what the model had) or was this the hundredth house? Because my nasty thought was that the builder probably saved a couple hundred $ on that carpet installation, which multiplies nicely when it's times one hundred. We will never know, but that thought makes me even firmer in thinking that he should do what was agreed on contract, and your being "nice" enough to accept what was done erroneously is not to your best interests.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

"After carefully thought and looking again at the model, we have decide to keep it standard, as per model. I may want to make the mantel a few inches lower (just a brick lower), but otherwise - just as per model."

make sure he intends to lower the entire fire box about 3 bricks....his Email looks almost like he is just wanting to lower the mantel 1 brick and the mantel isn't really the issue....the height of the fire box is. The stairs, I am sorry to say...look horrible. Not what you would expect to see in a classy expensive home. Insist that they redo them to match the model. In fact....if you bought the home based on the model, everything should be the same. Shame on them for not doing it right the first time.

Also...they make a drywall sander that hooks up to a vacuum. It is normally used for sanding homes that are already furnished to keep dust at a minumim. Insist that they use that type of sander in your home or you'll be finding sheertock dust everywhere for months to come.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DH called and spoke to our builder. Our builder was understandable upset and defensive. Felt we should have said something long ago... Probably DH put him immediately on the defensive, because he comes across Stern (I'm the friendly one!! LOL) However, our builder called after a hour or so and informed me that he wants us to be happy.

Fireplace issue is resolved. They are ripping in out and redoing it. I am breathing a sigh of relief, because I didn't want a raised hearth - and I know that this would be something that bugged me forever - until we ripped it out and had it redone.

The stairs, he is willing to rip out and do as well... but I think DH said we will live with it... he is handy and they may turn into a project for him to do. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they go ahead and and redo them on their own now.

Sink.. it was in the material list, and I agreed to it without seeing it. My fault, do hate the sink, it just feels backwards, but I will get use to it. I need to purchase a new faucet, and they are giving me $200 towards it.

Ceiling - they already said they would fix it to our satisfaction.

All and all I am pleased with how they handled things and I believe I'll be happy (except for the stupid sink!)

• rollie
    15 years ago

What about the granite edge on the island?

Whats the run and rise of that stairway? Looks like a tall riser to me, but it could just be the picture.

• krislrob
    15 years ago

I'm glad your builder decided to step up and take a little responsibility. The edges on your granite, depending on what you chose, can be very much different in price. I'd stick to the guns on the granite too!! It's just like the carpet on the stairs and the fireplace being installed too high. It really makes a difference.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, granite is going to be changed, as I won't accept anything else - it's NOT at all what I ordered and it's still at the fabricator's yard - they can fix it.

The island and the fireplace are very important because they are focal points. I know that somepeople would have cared less and never even notice, but I did. As far as the fireplace, I have recalled more conversational details. initially, I wanted a pre-made mantel, brought the spec's to the house, and the foreman told us it wouldn't work, unless we built a raised hearth (that I didn't want). I TOLD him at that point "it looked high" and questioned him if it was the same as the model - he ASSURED me it was. I then scraped the mantel - which now, I understand WHY it wouldn't work! He should have worked on making that mantel work - because if he did, we would have had to lower that firebox MONTHS ago!

Yesterday I had to go to the house and drop off an item. He (the foreman) was there ripping out the bricks. He turned his back on us and never acknowledged us there! He is making me annoyed - and I KNOW for a fact that he (once again - as we caught him) is lying. I am sure he is blaming us 100% - but at this point, I don't care! I am paying enough for this house and this is important!

The stairs - the treads are 10" deep, and the risers I didn't measure, but they aren't high, and step very much like a normal step. These stairs are in the back of our home, and I am not going to make this another area of conflict as it's not that important. Only we (our family) will really see these stairs and we already planned to add the wood treads ourselves at some point.

Anyway, I am VERY happy about the fireplace - as looking at the photo's above - it does look strange!