SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

wwyd? not getting the "finished" look on GC work done

SparklingWater
10 years ago

Hi. A little hesitant to post but we're so close to finishing after a long 12 weeks on our kitchen remodel. It is such an improvement, we love it.

However, am I being overboard on insisting on a more "finished" look on the work details be done? Here are examples of what I'm bothered by:

-one three quarter inch hole in the dry wall where the electrical conduit comes through the drywall and racer begins. You can see straight back and of course it's a "gap", very visible when looking underneath the cabinets.

-under cabinet conduit racer edges all cut roughly (not straight 90 degrees)and no racer "cap" placed to cover unevenness

- under cabinet electrical wiremold outlet plastic "plug covers" are all uneven, not flush or straight, as on a wall

- a very noticeable drywall seam (four feet across) painted over without proper prep work to eliminate the seam as best as possible (forget the painting term, spreading area up and down from seam so less noticeable prior to finish paint). This was agreed upon prior to painting with GC and pointed out twice as not done.

I want anyone to walk in any area of my kitchen and be able to say nice job. It's fascinating that we're so close, but these small details are being seen as over the top.

I keep being told to make a list, which I have, but what I've listed doesn't always get fixed-like that drywall.

Whose job is it anyway to point out "unfinished vs finished" look/work? The homeowner? I guess I am naive that that is what any good general contractor would do for his/her reputation. Btw, this is no fly by night GC but a well respected one with A+ ratings.

Am I being too picky? I don't think so. Any advice? Thank you very much as it's dragging me down when I want to be up due to the new beauty and function of our space!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths