SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aaydemi

Reimbursing losing GC for scope of work

aaydemi
8 years ago

We got bids from 2 GC's for our build. The losing GC is now asking if it's ok to send me a bill for the time his employee spent to construct our scope of work/cost breakdown. Is that customary, or do I chalk it up to the cost of doing business in this field? The scope of work wasn't extravagantly detailed, it looked like I could have pounded it out in an hour or two.

Background:Our architect recommended a GC that he's worked with previously early on in our design phase. We met once prior to our plans being completed and had been in contact (peripherally) throughout. Once drawings were done, he gave us a Cost Breakdown for his Cost Plus contract. I pushed him to give us more than just numbers...IMO, in a Cost Plus, numbers don't really mean anything unless I have some idea of what I'm getting (e.g. $40k in cabinets...are they all custom throughout or are you using prefab?). He hesitated but agreed and produced (in my mind) a pretty limited scope of work (a lot of one-liners after each line item).

We got another bid back from GC #2. The scope of work was a lot more detailed and a few of the hard construction items were significantly cheaper (framing, electrical, roof - all per plans). After more cost investigating, some of the costs from the first guy appeared way off (seemed inflated, between 30-50% more, while GC #2's numbers were more in line with average prices in the area). Both GC have good reputations in the area and all the custom builders here use the same handful of subs.

We decided to go with GC #2 because he was more detailed and straightforward. I felt like GC #1 was not being transparent with some of his bids. When I pushed him on why his framing bid was 70k more, he didn't really give me a good answer, and came back a day later with another bid that was 55k less than his original when he felt he was losing me. I felt like he was either sloppy with his estimating or was trying to take advantage of me.

So I wanted to get people's opinion on if I should pay for a scope of work (as part of a bid), and if so, what's fair compensation? I don't want him to bill me something ludicrous and then threaten to take me to collections if I didn't pay.

Comments (18)