SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phiwwy

i'm going to lose it (vent) - diy gcs should read this.

phiwwy
11 years ago

Well, after 7+ months of renovation (firing the GC in July and taking over ourselves), as of a few weeks ago we have one working bathroom and one working kitchen, and one more bathroom underway. That's the good news.

Kitchen is 80% there. KD sends a guy for an hour here/hour there to tackle a few items on the list.

Painters (great painter, cost-plus fee, ie very reasonable) has touched the bathroom, hallway, stairway, kitchen, family room and the woodwork. Nothing is finished. Covered the new hw floors with plastic protector, took it up today and up with it came the poly.

Carpenters cancel every other scheduled trip.

Master bath is finally underway. Don't love the floor tile with the vanity. Shower is being tiled. Love the accent panel but not so much with the field tile. This is to be my dream bathroom (with washer/dryer and steam bath and radient heat) - and I'm not in love. I pray that when the fixtures start going in they will bling. The vision I had of the bath is not what's coming out in reality.

Granite broke on the way in for the master bath. New slab is nice but not the wow that we'd chosen. All the pieces (bench, etc) came from the 1st slab.

Brand new door small gash on the granite delivery. Front door CUSTOM hardware came in with one finish for the handle, a different finish for the deadbolt.

Landscaper missed the window to grade and seed the front lawn, so we will have dirt/mud til spring. Sprinkler system put in to water the seeded lawn. Money we would have loved to spend next spring.

WE can't pick a backsplash. Light valances can't go up and hood/crown can't really be finished til the backsplash is up.

I am not flooded, I have power, have no downed trees or loss of life so I am grateful.

But I want my life/house back. This is the live of GC'ing yourself. You have no control over the trades.

OH and a month ago, based on every trades' commitment to show up and do the jobs they were hired to do, I thought I'd be almost done - so I volunteered to host THANKSGIVING!

Thanks for listening, I just hand to vent.

Comments (10)