SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

How does a Tea rose bloom on a Bourbon rosebush?

luxrosa
9 years ago

Could this have been caused only by having a Tea parent?
or is it possible that several rose ancestors caused it?
I was walking in my garden last week when I noticed a couple of white rosebuds on a 'Gloire des Rosomanes' . which is a red rose, and I thought "That's odd, I should keep an eye on that". A few days ago a bud opened up and it was a beautiful Tea rose shape and color, with several rows of petals, that were a delicate flesh-white with shadings of pale blush pink. I've seen c. 200 Tea rose cultivars when I volunteered at vintage gardens, and Tea is my favorite class of rose, and I collect them, but I've never seen a flesh-white/blush Tea. It hasn't opened fully up, the inner petals are still arranged in a cone shape, and those petals have a lovely satiny shimmer.
Vibert introduced 'Gloire des Rosomanes' in 1825 and I thought of which Tea roses might have been being grown in France before then, because I thought G. des R. must have had a Tea rose ancestor for it to sport a bloom with typical Tea characteristics; the sport roses'
- petals have a very light substance.
-subtle coloring, i find that delicate flesh-white hue to be very alluring. The pale blush pink blends in with the flesh-white on the top most 3rd part of the petals.
-double form with inner petals arranged in a cone shape.
-Tea rose fragrance. It isn't only of tea, but includes an unmistakable scent note I've never smelled in any other rose of another rose class.
The only description that I could find of a Tea rose that had flesh-white/blush coloring is 'Humes Blush' , which is described as having prickles on the petiole. I looked for those and the petiole does have little prickles on the underneath side.

I don't understand the genetics of rose sporting, is it at all possible that the flesh-white/blush pink rose sport could be 'Humes Blush"

Thanks in advance,
Lux.

Comments (2)