SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashrosetx

Bourbon roses in Texas / location & size

ashrosetx
8 years ago

I was hoping for some expert advice from the forum. My brand new Maggie and Madame Perriere from ARE went in the ground early spring, both died from too much rain - we had 20 inches in May, an all time record thanks to El Niño. Both got a serious case of PM and black spot. But SDLM and an older Maggie ( which is still very small since it was originally a cutting) both made it through. The only thing I can think of was they get morning sun starting sunrise while the ones that didn't make it get it from about 10 am. But we didn't get much sun given the torrential downpours. The only other thing is perhaps larger plants take longer to settle in ? I took a lot of trouble working the bed for MIP, with compost and shale based on advice from ARE. We have maybe 6 inches of clay topsoil with limestone beneath. I am wondering if I should give them both another try or move on. While SDLM has done beautifully, my smaller Maggie from the cutting is slow to take off and is a foot tall after 3 years and has bloomed once so far. I am stumped

Advice appreciated. Thank you

Comments (24)