SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Should I add a planter to mcm landscape or not? Help!

rockybird
9 years ago

The back patio concrete was formed a couple weeks ago, but the slope wasnt enough. The rain that ran off the roof and from the sky pooled on the patio. This part of the concrete was pulled up. I am having the roof redone in that area to redirect the water (very large flat roof).

I am working with a landscape architect who wants a planter in one of the 8x8' squares that was torn up. I think this is to catch water from the roof. I am also working with an architect, who worked with the original architect of the house and William Cody. He said there is too much concrete on the patio. He agrees with a flower bed, but a longer thinner one (16x6 ft.). The landscape architect said he did not like that idea and I understand why (lessens usable patio spaces, deviates from original architect's 8 ft. modules).

I worked 12+ hours today and they want me to make a decision tonight or the concrete contractor will move onto another job and come back to this one later. I am exhausted from work and I have to go back in tomorrow AM.

I think there is too much concrete. I think a planter would be nice, but I am worried the planter that the landscape architect is suggesting will look awkward from in the house, ie not symmetrical. There are two 8 ft. sliders that open to the patio, in the images below. I will try to post more pics tomorrow in the daylight. I am sorry these are so bad.

Overall plan:{{gwi:2144712}}

Where l.a. wants the planter (under roof line):{{gwi:2144714}}

Proposed planter bordered by wood, bertoia chair in middle.
{{gwi:2144716}}
Old pic:
Planter would go at third concrete pad on the left, both 8 ft wide doors open:{{gwi:2144718}}

Old pic: Planter would go in square next to bertoia chair:

Comments (22)