SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Update on mcm landscaping - slow but sure progress

rockybird
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

The concrete patios are in, but still curing. They start tiling the pool and spa waterline late next week. The landscaping starts next week also. If you remember, the pool coping before was ugly, not well formed and looked brutalistic. I had tried to salvage the patio by grinding the concrete down, but it had to ultimately be removed (at signif. expense and loss of money).

There are trees are in the front and back. Hopefully they will grow enough to hide the surrounding homes, which are increasingly being torn down for multi-million dollar McMansions, encroaching on my view.

I met with an interior decorator last week and we decided to just use the standard "pool blue" tile. I badly wanted blue oceanglass tile, but it is too expensive to install in the spa and at the waterline (25k!). I also met with an architect, who worked with the original home architect and some of the oldtime greats like william cody, and he said the blue tile is what they used to use in the day and I should use it. Please let me know if anyone strongly disagrees with choosing this tile. It also matches the mosaic pool spa tile perfectly.

I'm including pics of the planter space that you guys helped me decide to install. I like it. I think it breaks up the concrete expanse and conforms to the architects 4 ft or 8 ft modules. It also will catch run-off from the roof.

Here are some pics of the progress. You guys have been so helpful!

Front - new stairs. Will have a landing at the bottom.

There will be a rusted steel planter around the tree.

Backyard planter space.

Front with sidewalks leading from parking spot and road to front door.

View out the front pivot door (tape and refectance material to keep birds from hitting glass). I will eventually put a reflecting pool in the dirt spot, but it's out of my budget for now.

Comments (35)