SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
motherof3_gw

Help - Should I believe my landscaper?

motherof3
16 years ago

I just want to cry! We purchased our house 3 years ago. When we moved in, it had a beautiful, thick green lawn. The previous owners used a fertilizing company that treated the lawn several times a year. They used liqued weed killer and this yellow pellet fertilizer. Our first year we kept the company, but simply couldn't afford it.

Now 2 years later our lawn looks terrible. Its no longer thick andf lush, but very sparse and the front yard is covered with moss. We are biting the bullet and hired Lawn Doctor to powerseed the front yard and signed up for their silver fertilizing program with grub control and lime. The powerseeding uses some kind of machine that will till the soil and put the seeds into the soil, not just on top.

Well, the landscaper who just cuts the lawn and does fall/spring cleanup has totally confused me. He said that the powerseeding won't work unless hay is put on top of the new seeds. He showed me how sandy the soil is and that we need to add new topsoil before seeding. He also said that using fertilizer pellets doesn't work as well as the liqued. I can't tell if he's just saying all these things because we didn't use him to re-do the lawn or if what he is saying true. He made me feel like I'm going to waste my $$ re-seeding/fertilizing the lawn. I just don't know what to believe. My husband says not to worry and that Lawn Doctor should know what to do, but to me this is a lot of money and I want my lawn back!

Our front lawn is shady and damp. I am hoping to have some trees trimmed for more sun. Hopefully the trimming and lime/fertilizing program will prevent the moss from returning. Any thoughts would be so appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting