SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aptosca

replicating my favorite window pic during remodel

aptosca
9 years ago

This is probably my favorite window pic, after looking at lots:

{{gwi:2144508}}

I'm trying to figure out how to replicate it, at least to some extent.

The context is a remodel including total window/door replacements on a small house (1000 sf) and cottage (480 sf) in the San Francisco bay area. The house was built in '48, the cottage in '53. It's more or less in the style of an A&C bungalow but being built after the war, it isn't fully up to the quality standards of the stuff built in the 20s and 30s.

I love my little house and cottage and it's a pretty desirable area so it's not entirely stupid to do something nice.

The current windows are single pane, double hung, all wood, all paint grade (we stripped one down). They are not worth restoring (and the fenestration is getting redesigned anyway.)

I'm pushing more into the A&C style so plan all wood with a stain/clear finish on the internal and paint on the external.

I realize (or at least am pretty sure) the picture is single paned and I'll be replacing with double pane.

I plan on double paned "high end" SDL (internal/external wood muntins with a grid between). It's not historically accurate but since my house never was quite up to the "real" A&C standards, I'm picking and choosing where I "restore". I'm okay with the well-done SDL.

I like the wood species in the photo but I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas? I've been planning on vgdf but I gotta admit, I love this picture. I'm using cherry for the kitchen/bath cabs but I think using cherry on all the trim/millwork throughout the house would be too dark (over time).

I've been trying to educate myself but I'm still a little weak on window anatomy. In particular, sills ... if that's the right word, for both the inside and outside. I've got a contractor that will be doing trim/millwork but it's unclear to me what parts of the finished/installed window are integral to the window and what are finish work done by the contractor/carpenter.

What it comes down to is, is something approaching this look going to be difficult/terribly expensive to replicate (species notwithstanding)? The photo doesn't show the outside sill (again, right word?) and my house has traditional, fairly large sills and I want to maintain that look.

The contractor put me in touch with a window/door/millwork supplier. He's a nice guy but overall the discussion wasn't great. He was pushing Jeld-Wen but handles Marvin. But brand aside, I'm a little stressed about all the decisions to be made about windows and he didn't help me start understanding them. The Marvin website says "hundreds of wood subsills are also available" which sounds sort of overwhelming.

Thanks, folks, for any wisdom.

Comment (1)