SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxmillion_gw

Tile spacing vs slivers

maxmillion_gw
9 years ago

We have rectified tile from above the tub to the ceiling that was specified to have 1/16" grout lines. After my original discussion with the GC (months ago), he thought we could possibly go thinner and I was hoping for something closer to 1/32".

Well, I went to take a look at it laid out, and the tiles are spaced just the tiniest smidge over 1/16", definitely closer to 1/16" than 1/8". I was wondering if this amount of difference is worth bringing up. Then I realized that it was done to end with a full tile at the top instead of a sliver. When I mentioned this to a friend, he said that was unacceptable and I should get thinner grout lines with a partial tile at the top. I was surprised, since I thought this was a good judgment call on the part of the tile setter. If they had been spaced at 1/32" the slivers at the top would be about half an inch. They are 4"x16" in horizontal stacked formation.

So I'm curious. What would you prefer? Narrower grout lines with a sliver at the top OR slightly wider grout lines ending with full tiles? Would you consider one to be lesser workmanship?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths