SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Disappearing seedlings, help requested

I have never had problems with damping off only losing a handful in memory. Yet this year seedlings were disappearing some looking like they were "topped". To really confuse me every single radish leaf looked like it had a chunk bit out of it. I was so confused I was taking pictures because it seemed like a little more damage each day.

Well this am I went out to the shop to check the seedlings and all the tomatoes that germinated yesterday were gone BUT there were clues left behind. The hamster started going so fast smoke billowed out of my ears bad enough the local fire dept showed up. After getting a lecture on wasting there time I gathered up my Dick Tracy gear and headed back to the seedlings. I carefully examined the evidence noting the single tomatoe seedling stub left and several chunks of radish leaf on the media and headed to the computer. As with any hard task you start with the hardest and farthest so your not tired when you get to it so I started in Europe were some of my seeds originated from. I phoned the University of Cambridge were I was able to talk to the Prof. Of Forensic Entemology, what luck! We had a nice chat about what had happened and about what I thought it was. A super bug that had hatched from eggs in the seed package. I was quite shocked when he gave me two local numbers and stating that if these people couldn't help me nobody could.
He then bid me a good night and hung up the phone

Promptly I phoned the first number on the list expecting to talk to a retired prof of Entemology or maybe a research scientist of which we would share with the world the new superbug that we discovered. When the other end was answered with "Regional Hospital, Psychology Dept." My hopes were dashed and I hung the phone up. Reluctantly I phoned the second number and when it was answered "Orkin" I again hung the phone up. Damn Google. Surprisingly the U. Of Cambridge Entemology dept didn't answer, then again it is the weekend and there is a time difference so I will try to talk to them first thing Monday.

I now have some expensive geraniums and petunias germinating and am worried.

The thinking cap went back on as again, like normal, I was abandoned and left on my own. Too keep this post brief since the damage appears to only happen at night I have covered my expensive seeds and set a couple mouse traps. I also sowed some seeds that germinate fast and ordered some expensive surveillance equipment.

Any of you good folks experienced anything like this or can offer any insight?

My hamster is asking for a break so I will leave it with you intellectuals.

SCG

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County