SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

What roses are you adding in 2015?

I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon that includes a rose I have been on a waiting list for several years. It is Rosa stellata mirifica, which is native to New Mexico (grows in the Sacramento and White Mountains) and Texas.

The others from Greenmantle are:

Mme Plantier
Autumn Damask
Rosa dupontii

From High Country Roses:

Suzanne
Rosa pomifera

From Forestfarm

some species, yet to be selected....

Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden

Rosa minutifolia (hopefully)
Rosa spithamea (hopefully)

Melissa

Comments (122)

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

Rexedwardfairy you made me laugh. It's so hard to resist, I'm banning myself next year, but buying perennials instead . So I'm still buying something :) Catspa your RDR of commerce is beautiful..they are so different though, aren't they? I love the button eye. I wonder if any of them have the sixth sepal, and would love to see a picture of it, to compare. I wonder who sells it too. Mine does beautifully here, so far, with no disease what-so-ever and smells heavenly!

• rexedwardfairy
    9 years ago

"I'm banning myself next year"....

Hmmm.. well we'll see, wont we? I started saying "I"m banning myself next year" in 2011. Took me three years to actually STERN up enough to do it.

But look, you've started the journey Of The Great Rose Banning, and I wish you luck. I expect that you may have managed to actually ban yourself by 2018! Do keep me posted!

• Related Discussions

What Roses Are You Adding This Season?

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm running out of space too. But I always manage to squeeze them in somewhere!! LOL I had not intended to order this many, but I figure this is my definite last hurrah! Not only am I running out of room, I'm getting to where I can't handle the work involved in planting so many. The upkeep is also hard on my old weary aching bod! I have arthritis in my entire body, and a pinched nerve in my neck that may well incapacitate me one day. But I keep going until I can't! Here's my list: These are already here: Pickering: CREME CARAMEL LORISE CHERRY FREELANDER MUNSTEAD WOOD ReganÂs: GENTLE HERMIONE GREEN ROMANTICA SILVER STAR Hortico: RAZZLE DAZZLE ESTHER GELDENHUYS TIFTON DIGNITY Rogue Valley Roses: MR CHIPS TANTARRA TALISMAN Vintage Gardens: CORDON BLEU INTERMEZZO JOHNNIE WALKER FANCY TALK Palatine: (arrived today) CHARMANT LAGUNA THANKSGIVING ROSE BEVERLY BONANZA HOLSTEINPERLE Still to come: Pickering: ALECÂS RED FABULOUS STRAWBERRY HILL TEA CLIPPER S&W Greenhouse: PURPLE SPLASH WHITE LICORICE EASY DOES IT COLORIFIC SEDONA CHANGE OF HEART THE ENDEAVOR Rogue Valley Roses: PAMÂS CHOICE INCANTATION PERSIAN SUNSET TREASURE TRAIL MONICA "MYSTERY ROSE" Vintage Gardens: CHARIVARI COURVOISIER EdmundÂs: MEREDITH GIRLSÂ NIGHT OUT Heirloom: DISCO DANCER UNICEF NIGHT LIGHT CL MARJORIE MARSHALL J&P: DREAMWEAVER CL TEST ROSES Eurodesert Roses: BELVEDERE BIRTHDAY BOY BLUE FOR YOU BROKAT BUDATETENY FLAMBEE GILBERT BECAUD JORIANDA KIMONO LINCOLN CATHEDRAL MAJORA NIGHT SKY TINTINARA TINA TURNER TWICE IN A BLUE MOON And I may add to my J&P order the Disney Princess roses. Got locally MONKEY BUSINESS and CHICAGO PEACE which I lost yrs ago and never did replace. I miss that rose, so had to get one.
    ...See More

Have you tried adding silicate to your roses?

Q

Comments (3)
    The other day I was watching a Nature Channel TV program. Apparently there was (is) a valley near Yellowstone Park where the grass has a high concentration of silicates. Over the centuries the buffalo have learned to avoid that valley (unless near starvation) as the grass very quickly wears down their teeth. I tried Googling the information but apparently did not find the correct combination to get a hit.
    ...See More

2015 Roses in Review Survey

Q

Comments (8)
    All, Roses in Review will be available for until Monday, September 28! If you haven't already participated, please do! Every rating helps! You DO NOT have to be a member of a local society or the ARS to provide a rating. Email addresses are deleted once the reviews are finished. Thank you!
    ...See More

Roses & Stuff #3 (2015)

Q

Comments (168)
    Looks really good, Jim. How do you make your home-made compost? I make mine in the shade, just dump stuff on the ground ... it's NOT stinky. I'm going to get all the leaves I can this fall from the neighbors. Chicago Botanical Gardens' roses are ridiculously healthy, they use leaf-compost. When I took that soil-chemistry test, it stated the highest content of leaves is made out of carbon. Carbon (brown stuff) is good for the compost pile, a bit of nitrogen (green stuff) is good to speed up the decomposition. My most-blooms were when I used EarthGro Organic humus & manure ($1.26 for a 40 lb. bag from Walmart) to winter-protect, and in the spring there's zillions of buds ... way better than chicken manure. Here's a review on Walmart website for EarthGro bagged Humus & manure: 5.0 stars 4/1/2012 by oklahomagirl1989 "I made a flowerbed last year and planted 2 tiny roses into it...the flowerbed consisted of nothing BUT Humus and Manure Mix from Wal Mart.....my Roses have exploded with blooms during last years brutally hot summer when everything else died.....and since then, they have at least quadruplet in size....I couldn't be more happier about this product, in fact, I recommend it to all of my customers, since I work in the Garden Center and I always get asked about which soil is the best. Right now we are sold out of it and I am a bit upset myself because I want to buy lots more of it.....I would recommend this product to ANYONE at ALL TIMES!!!!! Here are the buds on Sweet Promise in spring when I winter-protected with EarthGro humus & manure (sold at HomeDepot and Walmart). Yay to the power of humus !! More spring buds on Francis Blaise when I used bagged humus & manure to winter-protect. Well-rotted horse manure is good too, but it's a real pain to scoop that into my car. I didn't winter-protect last year, since my kid's 6th-grade gifted-program was stressful for me. Growing healthy roses is easier than feeding a picky kid. I put money in her lunch-account, but she refuses to buy lunch from school, so I pack her lunch everyday. How do you pack lunch for a kid who doesn't like cheese, and is allergic to peanuts? Any ideas? Thanks.
    ...See More
  • Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

Will do! I did say it last year and the year before to my husband, so maybe next year I'll be able to resist! I have almost everything I wanted, so the only thing to temp me would be if one died. We will see though! I'll keep you posted! I figure now I can concentrate on the perennials and finishing everything :)

• rexedwardfairy
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh you are further along in your Great Banning Journey than I realised, alana8asc - been saying it for a few years you have - BRILLIANT. Very good progress. Next year really might the year for you!

Now look: during the ban, don't worry about replacing a rose that dies, that's not even a question; OF COURSE YOU DO, WITHOUT EVEN A THOUGHT. That is, without a thought specifically of combining the purchase with 'just a couple extra roses, since I have to buy this replacement one anyway!". That is indeed dangerous territory while you're on the ban! No exceptions, you are only ALLOWED to replace the rose that died. You are absolutely not allowed to surreptiously add other roses to the order as you replace the rose that died.

But I must say, I am impressed with your Diversion Tactic - into perennials. GOOD MOVE! This will create a bit of solid grounding for you to stay strong in the avoidance of rose purchasing...It's a bit like going from cigarettes to nicobate or something I suppose (not that I really know, being a lifelong nonsmoker!), but I imagine so: its easier to change the focus a little than go all out cold turkey!

And in case you are wondering: you are FULLY ABLE TO ACCEPT RANDOM GIFTS OF ROSES while on the ban. The idea isn't to be rude to generous friends and neighbours who know you love roses. So if you are gifted a rose, while on the ban, it's absolutely fine to accept it. In fact, I've accepted two unexpected gifts of roses while on my own ban...that's okay, the rose ban isn't out to engender bad manners in your good sefl. If gifted a rose, manners prevail OVER AND ABOVE THE BAN and you must accept - graciously. You are not even to mention the ban to the gift-bearer.

Anyway, I think I've set you a pretty straight course to follow - and I'm sure you'll be far too busy buying up 10,000 perennials to get too distracted by roses, anyway! Well, let's hope!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

You know what you do when yo run our of space to add fruit trees, you learn to graft.....I hear this works with roses too...

• rexedwardfairy
    9 years ago

Oh Kippy, this could be good! I've got palm trees, dracaena, murraya... Just graft roses onto em you reckon? oh I love it. It solves all my dilemmas! If I can graft roses onto those palms, I'll be done with those big heavy "self-cleaning" fronds dropping on me from a height of 6m and scaring the bejezus outta me... it'll just be pink and red fragrant rose petals floating down... like a Bollywood movie sorta... Oh yes, much better! And if i ever build up, I'll have roses straight out the window on the second & third floor too. The benefits are limitless!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I think the roses might take better on rose canes....but that would be quite the picture climbing up the palm tree and finding the cambium.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Well, I've been thinking that it might be interesting to graft pieces of Polyanthas onto once-blooming Ramblers. If you found something with similar blooms, you could give the illusion of a repeat-blooming Rambler....sorta. I was considering this for when my 'Baltimore Belle' gets a little bigger -- might look convincing with some 'Marie Pavie' budded up in the tree branches. I mentioned this idea on the thread about 'Veilchenblau', using 'Baby Faurax' to accomplish the illusion.

Just a thought......

:-)

~Christopher

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

This is such a fun topic! My list is very short compared to most.

From Rogue Valley:

Distant Drums, replacement for the one that died last winter

Smiling Jean, a mini-flora

Chipmunk, mini, a memorial rose (I love its nickname- peanut butter and jelly)

Nurse Donna, mini, a gift for someone who lost it

Clotilde Soupert, 1st choice for my freebie

From ARE:

Eutin, replacement

Del Rio, an impulsive choice that I hope I don't regret

If all goes well, I'll be getting a rooted cutting of Elizabeth of Goshen, also to replace a rose that isn't doing well.

I also want to add Comtesse du Cayla but need to see what I have this spring before I buy anymore.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

Ah Chipmunk... that one has been on my wish list for a couple years now. Alas I can't really justify the cost of a phytosanitary certificate for one rose, however!

• User
    9 years ago

Sigh - a big fat zero for me. Spotting a wayward deer sauntering up one of the woodland rides certainly clarified the vanishing shrub mystery so I am hanging back to see how the 30 or so already planted manage to survive the munching muntjacs. I never thought I would have to pore over deer resistant lists but I am now getting an accelerated education - far from being cuddly Bambi types, the horrid tusky ones in our wood (thankfully solitary rather than herds) are being re-purposed as .....dinner.

• User
    9 years ago

...we get Muntjacs the other side of our 6 foot fence... short stocky creatures, stumpy looking, but I find something rather cute about them... I don't think they can jump that high so not too worried... never saw them before I moved here..... better than having gophers I suppose....or chipmunks,...or coyote's..?... and definitely rattlesnakes...

...I got a 20 percent discount offer from Austin's to use before end of March.... it's tempting... but I'm really full for the moment... I shall think on it...

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Some really wonderful roses are being ordered here, but I'm happy as a clam in mud that I'm not ordering one single rose. Well, let me qualify that. If Jesse Hildreth were to become easily available there is no way I could resist. I consider that my dream rose.

Marlorena, you mentioned coyotes. Earlier tonight, around dusk, I was walking my rat terrier and was at the back of the house and my husband, who happened to be looking out the window at the front, saw a coyote coming down the hillside into our yard and trotting toward the area where I was walking with the dog. The drought has decimated a lot of their prey and it was clear that this coyote was after my dog. Only a very hungry coyote would be so fearless as to go after a dog that is with a human being. It's interesting to speculate what would have happened had my husband not spotted him coming towards us.

• User
    9 years ago

..that could have been a nasty situation Ingrid, ..you have an alert husband... easy for me to say from here but I've always been a little fond of Coyote's from where I'm looking in... being part of the natural landscape of the U.S.... but like so many creatures...difficult to live with for humans.... and I wouldn't care to get on the wrong side of them......

...I'm not keen on Rottweilers either, despite owning a dog myself, but
    they have their uses, as in this short video where one rescues a little
    chihuahua from being a coyote's dinner that day... I find this kind of
    reactive behaviour so intriguing in animals...

Rottweiler rescues dog

9 years ago

I'm extremely fond of coyotes and we humans, after all, have taken over most of what has been their territory for millennia. This coyote was trying to keep himself alive in the best way he could, and it's inevitable that there will sometimes be unfortunate encounters. Not their fault; there are unfortunately far too many humans on this earth to achieve any kind of balance.

There are not many coyotes that can stand up to a Rottweiler! Glad he was there to defend his little friend. Unfortunate that people would let a small dog like that outside in coyote territory. Ours is always on a leash with a human at the other end, although that didn't deter this very desperate coyote.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Mostly some Austins recommended by a British article for having good continuity.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I think there are more coyotes in the US now than there were when Europeans first settled here. The population grew and expanded after wolves were cleared out of most states.

:-)

~Christopher

• redwolfdoc_z5
    9 years ago

Coyotes are one of those animals that adapt well to urbanization. They survive quite nicely on the fringes and take advantage of human wastefulness. Their populations are at an all time high, as a matter of fact - as you know, they constitute one of the major problems for the continued survival of the American red wolf population. That's not to say that they don't merit respect or protection. Unfortunately it does translate into encounters that are dangerous for us, our pets, and the coyotes themselves. I agree Ingrid - not their fault and we are nowhere near in balance with the rest of the natural world. Their population boom is as much a response to humanity-created conditions as is the decline of the wolf. We as a species wreak havoc!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)
    9 years ago

Coyotes have finally reached Long Island in recent years. We don't have a breeding population, but isolated individuals here and there. It's only a matter of time I guess. I wonder if they'll help keep down the feral cat populations...

In other news, I think I finally finalized my rose orders. I've cancelled and changed things so many times, I'm sure the rose vendors are sick of seeing my phone number on the caller id. Here's what I'm getting.

Heirloom Roses:

Comte de Chambord, Pretty Jessica

David Austin Roses:

Princess Ann, Wollerton Old Hall, Susan Williams-Ellis

Roses Unlimited:

Crocus Rose, Cl Clotilde Soupert, Earth Song

Rogue Valley Roses:

Golden Buddha, The Faun

Chamblees:

Marie Pavie, Queen of Sweden, Belinda's Dream, Golden Fairy Tale

These roses are a lot more modern than I ever would have expected from me, but after buying numerous antique, once bloomers, I'm looking for healthy repeat bloomers to mix in.

-Chris

• User
    9 years ago

^such exciting roses.....

...and I had no idea Coyote's were so widespread...and actually increasing in number... that surprised me I must say...

• William Tag Marshall
    9 years ago

We began re-building the gardens here in Lynchburg at the Burkholder House, 1874-1875, last fall with a first planting of: 6, Perle de Jardins; 2, Natchitoches Noisette; and 2, cl. Moonlight. For 2015 additions are: 6, Dr. Grill; 3, G. Nabonnand; 3, Madame Lombard and 2, yet to be determined. I'm looking for recommendations for new sources beyond ARE. I'm looking for unusual and rare from 1800 to 1900 for the garden. Any trusted source suggestions? They shall be appreciated. Have a great garden season. Best Regards... W Tag

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Since my post in February I've also ordered John Cabot & Pretty Jessica.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Embothrium,

I would love to know what those Austins are. Can you list them, please?

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

W Tag,

IMO, Your query needs a separate post. I think you will get quite a bit more input that way.

"I'm looking for unusual and rare from 1800 to 1900 for the garden. Any
    trusted source suggestions? They shall be appreciated. Have a great
    garden season. Best Regards... W Tag"

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi William, I would suggest you try Greenmantle Nursery in California: Greenmantle Nursery roses

It may be a bit late in the year however for Greenmantle--many of the most rare varieties may already be sold out.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    Original Author
    9 years ago

R. pomifera and Suzanne arrived safely on February 27. Here is Suzanne with a new baby friend this afternoon.

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

ok, since my last post I have placed a few more orders, because apparently I have no self control. The more recent additions are:

Madame Alfred Carriere (a little nervous about training her, she's a big girl)

Distant Drums

Gourmet Popcorn

Golden Wings

Lyda Rose (x2)

Blueberry Hill

Baby Love (mini)

Charlotte

Darlow's Enigma

Ambridge

Darcy Bussell (own root to replace my grafted plant)

Lady Emma Hamilton (own root to replace my grafted plant)

Dark Desire

Saint Patrick

Iceberg (x2)

Several of these are going in at my Dad's house, but they will really be under my care. I am excited that I will have a place I can grow roses like Darlow's Enigma that get way too big for my own tiny yard. I wish I had more room for some of the larger antique varities (Blush Noisette or Madame Hardy or most species roses for example), alas I have to choose things that I can keep within the 3-4' wide bounds, anything larger than that is too much rose for my yard. Maybe I'll get a Blush Noisette or Madame Hardy for his yard too so I can enjoy them there, they are so lovely.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

My Blush Noisette is looking like she will be rather happy in the garden. So far she is bigger than Mel's Heritage and Marie Van Houte............ But they are all babies and Mel is looking very happy

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

Well, I did it, I placed one more order for the year because I had a couple on my wishlist that I really wanted, and I am hoping for them to be somewhat matured by the time my fence gets installed (or at least that is what I am telling myself) I want to completely line the interior of my backyard fence with roses and perennials (with a little space somewhere for sunflowers) I am not sure yet if we are going to be able to afford the lovely wooden privacy fence that I want, so if we do have to settle for a chainlink fence, at least it will make an excellent support for any dangling rose branches, and I will have a gorgeous privacy screen for most of the year.

I placed an order with Antique Rose Emporium instead of adding a few more to my already extensive order with Roses Unlimited, because they do not have Happenstance, and that is one I really have my eye on, it is a miniature sport of Mermaid, a rose that I could never in a million years have in my garden because of it's size, but Happenstance capures the simple beauty of it's blooms, but on a smaller scale, with adorable minature foliage that will make a gorgeous filler in a bouquet. I have read that if you let this rose go completely it can get very large as a climber, but you can also keep it very compact trimmed as a small shrub, I love that it is so adaptable & I hope I can successfully bend it to my will as successfully as those who have written about it on various blogs, the fact that it is a child of Mermaid makes me nervous, but we'll just see how it goes.

so my last order of the year (hopefully):

Happenstance

Madame Antoine Mari

Cramoisi Superior

Dame de Coeur

Blush Noisette (I just had to have it, we'll see how she does in terms of size, I read a few experiences on HMF that gave me hope for a controlled shrub)

I am just so excited for spring!!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Taking it easy on rose bands this Spring, only ordering a Viking Queen, a Buff Beauty and another Annie Lauren McDowell.

• Helen Forsyth
    9 years ago

I ended up with

Sombreuil

Secret Garden Musk

Marie Pavie

Felicia

Cornelia

Soleil D'Or (for my daughter, whose middle name is Soleil. I hope I can manage this notoriously tricky rose. Really, they'll suit each other.)

Bubblebath

Greenmantle

Therese Bugnet

Roseraie de L'Hay

Lastly and unexpectedly, Vineyard Song. Why did I do that?

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Moonstone

Viking Queen placed order today

plus 6 roses from Roses Unlimited to be delivered at the end of March

Julia's Rose & Incognito in April

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

I just added on a Harlekin yeaterday, it looks pretty and is hardy for zone 6a......and just added more this morning Jasmina, Laguna, Pearly Gates and Gruss An Achen.

Talking about coyotes, be careful. Years ago one Canadian singer was killed by a pack of 3 coyotes, she was hiking in a national park......we have some around here in the suburbs not in packs. I have big dogs-Komondors, they can take down coyotes, but I still carry pepper spray with me when I walking the dogs at night. Coyote fur coat is the warmest coat, I wear it when it's really cold-under 15 F.

9 years ago

I was "absolutely sure" that I would not be adding another rose (how many times have I said that before?) but then unexpectedly took out my large Mutabilis, leaving a horridly naked spot in the most prominent spot in the garden. I'll be filling that with Blush Noisette and Aloha that I ordered from the Antique Rose Emporium.

Helen, loved your comment about Soleil d'Or!

• Helen Forsyth
    9 years ago

Thanks! The sugar and spice thing is bogus. I keep thinking of roses I wanted and didn't get. Annie Laurie McDowell, Gertrude Jekyll, darlow's enigma, r. Primula.... It's so fun to have a new yard to plant in!

I want to see Jasmina and jubilee celebration and young lycidas in person! I require some of those highly fragrant hostas, Venus and Aphrodite!

I keep telling myself I have to save some roses to pick out next winter, but I'm so greedy it's almost painful.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Edmund's Roses has Jasmina on sale for $16.95 (bare root).

• Helen Forsyth
    9 years ago

Does she prefer to climb, summersrhythm?

9 years ago

I've seen Jasmina in person, Helen, and it definitely is a climber.

• Rosefolly
    9 years ago

Not planning to add anything this year. However, today I got Bouquet d'Or in the ground. It's not where I had planned to place it, but it is in a spot that only meant moving two established plants and one path.

I now have No Pot Ghetto At All.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Jasmina is a climber like Ingrid said.

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago

Ok, so I might have succumbed to the end of bare root season sale prices, and added Mme Antoine Mari, and Munstead Wood. Plus my local greengrocer had some healthy bodybags so I also added Many Happy Returns, Orange Sensation, and Mr Lincoln. That is definitely it for this year, don't have many spaces left and everywhere is sold out of the roses earmarked for them. Next year's order planning commencing in 3, 2, 1, now!

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    9 years ago

I hope y'all are ready for my list! For two years, I've been 'on hold' while the planning and implementing of a huge construction job in my yard. I had to dig up a lot of my roses, didn't dare plant any and of course kept 'collecting'. Now the work is done and I have a lot more room. Plus with experience, I know what I want. I also lost a lot of roses between the Polar Vortexes and some that I dug up did not survive. I've also decided to get back into Hybrid Teas in a big way, I like exhibiting and doing arrangements, and they are the best for that. I also want to start with minis, so I'm stocking up on them.

Ordered from Palantine, on multiflora, just came two weeks ago:

Double Delight (was to replace mine that I thought was dead, but it's still alive, I dug it up and am keeping it in a pot)

Gemini (I had this years ago, but it didn't make it)
    Pope John Paul II
    Rainbow Niagara (this is aka Tropical Sunset, which I lost last winter)
    Dainty Bess
    Paradise
    Razzle Dazzle
    Dark Desire
    Lucille Ball

From Rogue Valley, caused by a thread on GW about buds and sepals...

Won Fang Yon
    Cesoine
    Bella Donna
    Leda
    Nuits de Young
    Mystery Rose

Ordered from a local nursery, will have in April:

Dick Clark
    New Zealand
    Moonstone
    Munstead Wood
    St. Patrick (had this, loved it, lost it)

Picked up at the DSD Mid-Winter Meeting:

Mrs. BR Cant (replacement)
    Tradescant (on Fortuniana, a replacement)
    Randy Scott (also on fort)
    Magnificent (also on fort)
    Glowing Amber (mini)

Mini-Floras from Kroger:

Flawless
    Powerhouse
    Patron
    Ambiance

Classic HTs from Home Depot:

Chrysler Imperial
    Pink Peace
    Tropicana
    Gene Boerner (floribunda)

Chamblees order through my Rose Society:

Darcey Bussell (already blooming!)
    Southern Peach (mini-flora)
    Deja Blue (mini-flora)
    Mrs. BR Cant
    Crepescule (replacement for one that didn't survive being dug up)
    Loretta Lynn Van Lear (already has buds and they look amazing)
    Pearle d'Or (this one I bought 2 years ago but haven't been able to plant yet)

Burlington Roses, bought last year, still in pots

Power Point Miniflora
    Merlot Mini
    Orange Parfait Mini
    Jean Kennerly Mini
    Irresistible Mini
    Twilight Zone (I think this one is gone, I will have to get another one)

Additional ones I picked up here and there, many from my rose group

Queen Elizabeth Shrub
    Blumenschmidt
    Madame Plantier (2)
    Homere
    Nastarana
    Swamp Rose
    Mutabilis
    Cramoisi Superieur
    Alnwick Castle
    Tess of the Dubervilles
    JFK
    Ballerina (replacement, lost to RRD)
    Reve d'Or (replacement lost to RRD)

It sounds like a lot, it IS a lot. If you add in the roses I had that I had to dig up, it's over 70. But I am getting three new beds and I have most of the spots planned. If I don't get them all planted this year, it's not a huge deal.

Wish me luck!

Almost forgot! I have a bunch of roses that we dug up from a fellow members garden. He went into assisted living and wanted his roses to go to members. In addition to the Reve d'Or and Ballerina, I have Madame Hardy (didn't think it was going to make it, but it's putting on new growth) Polka, a climber that I will give to another member. The rest I have no idea what they are! That will be the fun in seeing them bloom and identifying them based on his lists (unfortunately the tags were gone). I know one is a rugosa from the foiliage. I'm just not sure which one.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

Hmm, I am really behind you guys on this. I am still "editing" my list of hundreds of roses for my postage stamp yard. I need to work harder lol.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

You're probably not as far behind as you feel. Even after finding homes for MANY roses before the move, AND having to leave many behind due to time and room, there are still many to process out back as well as MANY seeds to plant ASAP. I used 24 cuft of potting soil this week. I have 42, empty five gallon cans; 200+ (I quit counting at 200, and there are more) one gallon seedlings and propagations requiring upsizing into two gallon cans (no empty twos at present); 70, two gallon plants requiring upsizing into fives and about a dozen five gallon plants demanding upsizing into sevens. And, I've used all the soil, which means it's time for a Costco run. I traded the steep hill with small level area for a bit larger than the former level area, but it's all level with access from the drive and street so I can roll things in and out and there are MANY linear feet of fencing and block wall upon which to plant climbers...once much regrading, tree clearing and mechanical soil preparation are complete. Still feel "behind"? LOL! Good luck! Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Need any more pots Kim? I still have a couple of roses from Kim's that need to get in the ground, but the location is not ready and I am lost in a massive project. But I need a garden day, so I am going to do that one day this week.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I found a local nursery which was happy to pass on about seventy, five gallon cans (which is where the empties I have at the moment came from. I've fill the others with upsized plants and filled the resulting twos). Yes ma'am, definitely! Thank you! Now, it's a matter of getting down there to pick them up... There are a few stores we need to check out in Goleta, so it appears to be more easily doable. I'll email you to arrange the details. Thank you! Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

email me the size you want and I will see what I can get. (twos are hard)

• allaboutrosegardening
    9 years ago

I've ordered 8 new roses (so far), and after reading this thread, I am (First) glad that I am not the only one with this addiction to never having enough roses in my garden! And (second) Maybe it's a good thing after all that I don't live within driving distance of any of those nurseries!

• User
    9 years ago

NONE!

• allaboutrosegardening
    9 years ago

What? None? Is your garden full? There must be room for at least one more! How about a climber?

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath