SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Do people really light up every corner in new construction?

Fori
9 years ago

Howdy!

I'm used to old houses where there are dark patches. There's a ceiling light that'll pretty much take care of your lighting needs. You put in a lamp if you want a spot to be bright. But I am not sure I want everything LIT.

I'm in the process of a remodel and trying to figure out a lighting scheme for a new room. Every photo I have found of newer rooms shows the ceilings full of can lighting. My GC actually said that they never put central light fixtures in bedrooms anymore (that's builder grade!) and just do cans in them unless a fan is wanted. Then they get the cans AND a fan.

My new room that is proving tricky to light is a family room with a not-very-high vaulted ceiling. It's simple and I'm trying to keep it in the spirit of the rest of the house, a '50s ranch. The architect's lighting plan calls for lots of recessed lighting. The GC thinks it's necessary.

I figure I can hang some high wattage lights down the middle and be done with it. Want to read? Use a lamp!

I guess I'm complaining because I have to make some decisions and I don't wanna. :P

Is it a mistake to not have hardwired lighting for every conceivable activity? Or can I go old school and have basic ambient lighting and then use my oversized lamp collection where needed?

Do you have LIGHTING or just lighting?

Comments (33)