SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagic

Lighting Design for New Home Construction

soonermagic
17 years ago

I'm building a new home and have a meeting with the electrician tomorrow to specify where I want outlets, lights, what type of lights, etc. I have learned a ton just reading thru posts here and on the building forum, but thought I'd toss out the general question of "What do I really need to know for this meeting, and what should I be asking for?"

I have more specific questions as well:

What type of lighting should I use to illuminate artwork, particularly paintings? My last home was equiped with can lights that were half covered to direct the light onto the paintings. Is that ideal, or are there other options?

If I'm using programmable lighting scenes to operate through LCD keypads (rather than lines of traditional wall switches), do I still have to specify lighting groups (i.e., these four lights should operate on Switch A, these two on Switch B, etc., etc., or will they all be separate and digitally programmed)? Our A/V tech who is setting up the whole house audio/video system and the LCD keypads is meeting us with the electrician and I hope he can answer that question definitively.

I've read here about step lighting, but really how great are those little footpath lights and how do you determine spacing?

Any other advice is appreciated.

Comments (3)