SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brett_mullen95

Plumbing screw up in new construction

Brett Mullen
6 years ago

This is a long post but it fully explains our situation. Thanks in advance for reading.

I am having a home built in a new neighborhood by a local construction company. Not a custom home but what you would probably refer to as a nice cookie cutter type home. Friends of ours are also having a home built two lots away. I am a layperson with no advanced construction knowledge. I live close by the site so I am able to come by everyday to see the progress.

My wife and I got to see a spec home of the same floor plan before construction began, so we knew what to expect. After the footings and tenches were dug, they installed the plumbing. I noticed white pvc pipes (I later learned were drain pipes) were installed sticking up along the wall in what was to be the dining area. This didn't seem right, but, hey, what do I know? Also I figured they had people who checked off on this sort of thing so I didn't raise any questions.

The slab got poured and the framing began. Everything seemed to be rocking along nicely. Then our friends got word that their plumbing was off by 8 feet! So we got worried about ours and sure enough ours was off too. The plumber didn't read the plans properly and measured from the edge of the porch rather than the back wall... anyways it was all messed up and our kitchen sink drain pipe was in the dining room wall. Two drain pipes (kitchen and utility room) were misplaced by 7 feet in the house.

So we called the builder and found out they knew about this and didn't tell us or were waiting to tell us... kinda pissed we werent told immediately. We had to find this out through our friends.

We met with the builder and he pretty much said this was no big deal. They say this is an easy fix to just run some lateral drain pipes from the sink and utilities through the wall. He made it seem as if we were being unreasonable by being upset about this.

My wife and I have pretty much decided we are not going to buy this home. We don't feel good about starting off with patch job plumbing. However we are trying to decide whether or not to let this company build us another home on a different lot or just walk away completely from this builder.

Any thoughts or comments from experienced construction folks or contractors? Thanks for reading.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH