SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aramaram

Kitchen sink size

aramaram
9 years ago

Hello,

I am designing my kitchen and wondering what is an ideal size of a kitchen sink for a small place. A layout of the kitchen is below. I'd like to stick to a single basin sink but make it just big enough to be sufficient but not too big, to conserve counter space. I do cook quite a bit and the previous sink was 22", which was fine once I got used to it but it is somewhat limiting. What size would you recommend for this?

Comments (29)

• tim45z10
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I personally would not want my windows all the way down to the counter. I think that is just asking for trouble. As far as the sink goes, I would put one in as big as possible.

• Related Discussions

Need to maximize Kitchen sink size with 30'' cabinet

Q

Comments (1)
    Double-bowl sinks are great when you have a 36" sink. But when you are limited to a 30" sink cabinet, you won't find a sink with 2 bowls with one being a good size. You should get a single-bowl sink. There are about a million threads on this forum about the advantages of single-bowl sinks. Since you have a dishwasher, there shouldn't be much need for 2 bowls. I have had double-bowl sinks, and now have a single bowl, and cannot imagine going back to the inconveniences of a double bowl in a 30" width. No more banging pots into the divider, I can set down to soak my largest roasting pan, and there is only one drain, so no need to dump the contents of a greasy slimy drain strainer into the other side where the disposal is. There's more room under a single-bowl sink too, cause there aren't two drainpipes. Get a single bowl sink and make your life easier. :)
    ...See More

Kitchen Sink Size Help

Q

Comments (3)
    If you've got a 22x33 in there now, a 22x33 will go back in, even undermounted. The only advantage to the smaller sink is that it will be able to be pulled farther forward without cabinet alterations. Bigger is better with sinks.
    ...See More

Kitchen sink size/Plumbing question

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't have the sink/counter installed yet but I'll post a picture of what I got going on. Also have 2 drain pipes so I'm thinking if the one is to high I could use the other one.
    ...See More

Kitchen Sink Size

Q

Comments (12)
    I have a 30" sink installed in a 33" base cabinet. Until about a month ago, I only had divided 36" sinks. The 30" single basin is more width than I could ever need - I would not get a 36" unless I was cooking/baking with extra-wide pans. Like Sophie said, your cabinet and your contractor's installation method may constrain your options. Mounting clips would not have fit into my 33" base cabinet without notching the sides, so we used a different mounting system. My sink is 8-1/2" deep, plus 1-1/4" countertop, and the depth is perfect. I wouldn't want it any deeper for a clean-up sink. On the other hand, my 15" prep sink is 10" deep, and that is perfect for filling narrow pitchers, coffee maker, etc.
    ...See More
  • suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

How do you use your kitchen? Are you a "cooks 6 nights a week" sort of person or an "orders take-out" 6 nights a week person? Do you bake and use large bowls and pans? All of these things matter both to the size of the sink and the layout of your kitchen.

If you don't use your kitchen much or very seriously, what you have is fine. If you actually anticipate serious kitchen use, you need to rethink. As Jillius pointed out, your space is small and the proposed island will not be very useful, in fact it will probably be mostly in the way. Small is not bad, it just requires superior planning. I would consider adding more counters and cabinets under the right hand windows, lose the island, and turn the table 90 degrees and place it outside the refrigerator area. Of course, this all depends on what the rest of the room looks like. What does it look like?

• lee676
    9 years ago

I'll add my voice to those just not liking the overall layout here. With that much space, it's a shame to have a smallish sink. Plus the oven and dishwasher doors both would get in the way of the walking path, and the cabinets at the right are too far away from the appliances and sink, yet also prevent the table from being closer to the window if the view is nice. Anyway, a sink that's roughly 22" wide inside is adequately large, but I'd go with a D-shaped sink that puts the faucets to the left and right back corners (or a wall mount faucet) so most of the sink can extend back to the wall without a faucet ledge, which leaves much more useable room in the sink. Or a irregularly shaped sink with the faucetry off to either the left or right. And look for a drain that's offset to the back corner or at least the back center, so the drain will remain uncovered by large plates, and so the disposer underneath is also at the far back of the cabinet and out of the way. Something like this is typical and made by several manufacturers:

{{gwi:2139149}}

or this Franke Europro which is 27-1/2" wide (also available in smaller sizes):

{{gwi:2139150}}

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for all the input.

I do cook quite a bit but I don't do much baking. The D-shaped sink is a great idea. I may very well do that.

The house is indeed very small (800 sq ft) with an open floor plan. A layout is attached. The total width is 20' and the length of the wall with the stove is about 17'. The windows on the right have great views so the focus goes in that direction. In either case, I think that would be too far from everything to put counters. The island in the plan is 3' x 30" (which seems to me quite usable). The television is on a bracket and will rotate out to either be flush to the wall or face the couch.

Hence, you can see that we are quite constrained. I thought about making a large island and putting the table in the living area around where the TV is but I figured that it was better to keep it in the kitchen area because the place get's too cluttered with surfaces otherwise and there is not much free space left.

Thank again!

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

I would get rid of the table and add more counter space on the wall to the right. Then you will have room to put an island with seating. Table just to large.

• lee676
    9 years ago

What size is the house it's in? How many bedrooms and bathrooms? Just trying to get an idea of how many people are likely to live there and thus what size the kitchen fittings need to be.

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The house is only 800 square feet. It has two bedrooms. Thank you.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

Is the door to the left of the couch the front door?

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it is. Here is a full floor plan for you.

• crl_
    9 years ago

This may seem counter-intuitive, but I'm going to suggest you look at the kohler stages 45. It's huge. But it can function as your prep area as well as your sink. There are a number of threads on here where people have shown how efficient it is for them and how they have maximized the storage space underneath as well.

I am linking one of several threads on this topic below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW kitchen cockpit thread

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's an interesting idea! This is one of the benefits to coming here; you see things that you would of never considered. I'll measure it out and see how it would fit but my impression is that my place is just too small for a sink that big.

• diymom79
    9 years ago

I would go with at least a 30". Not to big not to small. I'm doing a 33" like pictured.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Two big issues:

You've included a table that's rather large for this size house. I'd suggest that you go with a smaller table (perhaps one that can expand when you have guests) and include built-in banquette seating (or a booth).

Second, I think that's a 6-burner stove? In this size space, you need to go with standard-sized appliances AT MOST.

I'd go with a solid wall of cabinets against the back wall, and I'd move the sink to the center of the work space . . . and then a cabinet run attached to the kitchen-bathroom wall (I don't think you have space for a U-shaped kitchen, but I'm suggesting a galley kitchen attached to the wall).

I'd also look for places where you could include storage: For example, if you go with that built-in banquette, it'll give you some under-seat storage. And I'd do a see-through built-in bookcase to separate the entry way and the living room.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

May I suggest the Blanco Stellar 28"x18". It has a 26" interior width, large enough for cookie sheets, and the drain set to the rear. This allows you to have a 30" sink cabinet, which is large enough for under sink trash, recycling, compost, disposal, and a few cleaning items but doesn't waste space that you could devote to drawers or a spice pullout. Also, you can buy an aftermarket cutting board, colander and washing bin to fit it up rather like the more deluxe sinks if you'd like -- I have an Ikea colander on mine and find it very useful.

I also would eliminate the island and instead choose a sturdy table that has either drop or pull-out leaves and use that as both a work table and dining table (as many of our grandmothers did). A glass top can protect the surface, or you might be able to get a thin piece of marble, or just put a good protective finish on the wood -- whatever suits your taste.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

This is what I would suggest.

{{gwi:2139151}}

I've given you two options, but both hinge on your adding a half wall to separate the kitchen from living room. Like this (how I have it set up in the first plan):

{{gwi:2139152}}

Or this (how I have it set-up in the second plan):

{{gwi:2139153}}

In either plan, the kitchen side would look like the picture below, except you'd not have counter/cabs running front of the half wall.

{{gwi:2139154}}

In addition to providing a second wall for the family room (so the couch and TV can face each other) and to separating the kitchen from the family room, this half wall will also hide your dirty dishes from the living/dining/foyer.

Because you won't have counter running in front of the half wall in the kitchen, you could do cabinets in the half wall on the kitchen side (this could be your pantry):

{{gwi:2139155}}

Or you could do bookshelves for cookbooks like this:

{{gwi:2139156}}

In the first plan, I have in mind that your table would be expandable. For normal use, you'd have the four seats shown, and when you have more people than that over, you could add some leaves to the table and extend into the foyer.

In the second one, you would have a bigger table all the time, but one less seat in the living room. So I have in mind that your guests could just pull a chair or two over from the dining table over if more seating is needed in the living room.

In the kitchen as I have it in both plans, you can have a big sink without issue, and there are no things in the center of the kitchen blocking your being able to walk straight lines between the sink/stove/fridge. When the dishwasher is open, it blocks nothing. And your main prep area between the sink and the stove has lovely big windows and views. And you get to enjoy the big windows/views when doing dishes too.

You might consider adding a small prep sink directly in the corner between the fridge and stove. Would be very handy if you often have other cooks in the kitchen with you.

Depending on how much separation of kitchen and living you want, you might also consider hanging something over the half wall like this:
    {{gwi:2139157}}
    Or something else pretty and glass, like a vintage stained glass window. It's rare to have a good place to hang things that sparkle and look pretty with light shining through them, so you have the opportunity to hang a really show-stopping piece here if you want. There are all kinds of 3D glass art that could be lovely.

I'd personally rather the big table and the single couch with the chez, but I'd put the couch-with-chez against the half wall so I could see the TV from the kitchen

Something like this (I did a mini sectional instead of chez, but you get the idea):

{{gwi:2139158}}

But I don't know your preferences, so I figured you'd appreciate options.

I didn't cover it here, but there are also a million styles of half walls -- with columns, with arches over them, with molding, etc.

This post was edited by Jillius on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 19:20

• User
    9 years ago

I echo some of the PPs above - a big sink can be extra valuable in a small kitchen. Mine is a narrow galley and I went with a 30" Kraus undermount in a 33" base cabinet. It doesn't have the built-in cutting board as in one of the pictures above, but I found an Ikea chopping board that fits perfectly in the same fashion. The extra 3 or 6" to fit a good sized sink is a totally worthwhile tradeoff; I use the under sink cabinet for storage of cleaning materials and cutting boards anyway.

I'd also strongly suggest posting all the dimensions of your kitchen space and surrounding living/dining area and asking for more general layout feedback. I agree with the PPs that you are consigning yourself to be squeezed in the only dark corner of what looks like a fabulously bright space. Since there doesn't seem to be any other good place for your range, I wouldn't quite know what to suggest - but there are other GWers who are incredibly creative.

It's a struggle to balance the desire for a great, functional kitchen with the need for sufficient and comfortable living space when you have a small home. For my purposes, keeping the kitchen somewhat compact - but very efficient - made more sense that building the biggest and best kitchen possible, since that would have sucked up too much of our living space. Your balance may differ. The people on this board are just genius with figuring out solutions to almost any set of constraints!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Yes, it is a major balancing act. I can't speak to design since I am totally lacking in that area. Bringing the window down to counterheight was the best decision I made for our small kitchen. We don't have such a wonderful view right now, but what a difference in sunlight coming into the space!

• aramaram
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been away and just got to reading through all the replies. Thank you all so much for the input and for the great ideas. Below is a floor plan with dimensions as requested.

One thing that I'd like to point out is that I am intentionally trying not to cut up the space with walls and partitions because that makes the place feel a lot smaller. As it is right now, it actually feels quite spacious for its small size. Also, I am trying to keep all furniture and objects fairly low to the ground to fight the low ceilings (8 foot ceilings).

The place is actually very well lit everywhere because of the windows. The place by the door would be the dimmest, actually. Additionally, like I mentioned before, everyone gravitates towards the windows because of the views. I will try to take a picture of that and post it when I can. Hence, that is why I opted to place the dining table in that direction and have the couches face that direction (the views are through the front and the corner window). I don't watch any television and that is why, unlike with many layouts, things are not focused around the TV.

I do agree with a lot of the points you guys raised though and I am thinking of a layout that can incorporate those ideas as well as my preferences.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Yeah, the last thing I would do is divide the room into separate kitchen and dining/living room areas. I just got done tearing down such a wall, in a house that's considerably larger (5BR / 2-1/2BA) to make a large kitchen/dining/living room where everything melds together. Many people are either renovating their older homes to achieve that or buying new ones that start out that way, because it suits how many of us live nowadays. Kitchens are no longer private areas where someone labors for hours a day to prepare family meals; rather it's a gathering area with cabinets and appliances designed to look good, and thus it's a room you want your guests to see. Fewer people want formal separate dining rooms anymore - why reserve the nice table, chairs, and china for a few special occasions each year? With your home I'd arrange everything so no matter whether you're preparing food, eating, cleaning up afterward, socializing, or watching TV, you sit or work in a large room with those nice views unhindered.

I'd also nix the big range, and consider a good 24" cooktop - several have small knobs in front off to one side such that it leaves almost the entire surface for burners, rather than the traditional 6" of width at the right used for controls, so you still have a roomy surface to work on. (Personally, I'd be fine with a 12" or 15" wide two-burner setup for a 2BR/1BA home, but I know many others wouldn't be). I'd also consider a 24" undercounter oven. I used one with a side-hinged door, glide-out racks, and a very slim control panel at the top so the oven cavity is as high as possible. I don't need to lean downward to insert or remove food from the top rack, and the door and slide-out rack arrangement means I don't ever have to lean over or around an open drop-down door like you would with most ranges. And there's room for a drawer underneath it, great for baking tray storage. If I need additional oven space, I have an Advantium high-speed oven that can also be used as a conventional oven or a microwave. These (and other similar units) are available in wall-cabinet, undercounter, and over-the-cooktop configurations.
    {{gwi:2139159}}

• Liz
    9 years ago

Several of jillius's suggestions would work without the half wall. Or with a piece of furniture (sofa table or buffet) instead.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

If you want a 24" pro style range, look at the bluestar. Personally, I would get a 24" induction cooktop and the 24" Gaggenau oven shown above. I would look at a 24" fridge or 30" built in fridge. An 18" dishwasher would also save you space. A 30" single sink would fit in this configuration. I would also lose the table in the kitchen. It is a small space but can be very efficient with the right choices. I think smaller appliances will look more appropriate in the space. You may want to take a look at European kitchen sites for small kitchen ideas.
    Good luck!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

I would suggest taking a look at the Little House in Little Rock. It's a bit smaller than your space, but it's full of good ideas for maxing out space (although I think she should have done frameless cabinets). Just google it. There are many pictures all over the web. Her style is different from yours and she doesn't have as many windows, but her solutions to fitting everything into a small space may give you some ideas.

[{{gwi:2139160}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/the-little-house-in-little-rock-traditional-dining-room-little-rock-phvw-vp~2989939)

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by Little Rock General Contractors Bret Franks Construction, Inc.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Have you considered an induction cooktop? Either as part of a range or as a separate cooktop. I love mine and I think induction's advantages are even more useful in a small space.

Put a cutting board down on top of an induction cooktop and it's prep space. It doesn't heat up the room like gas does. And it's every bit as responsive as gas as well as faster to heat. And so easy to keep clean. I had always had gas and came to the appliances forum to research a gas range when we bought our current house and ended up with induction instead and really love it in my small kitchen.

If you decided to go with induction, I think there is no need to consider shrinking the cooktop space because it can also be prep space when you aren't cooking on it.

I completely understand that the kohler stages 45 may truly be too big for your space. I have seen other set ups where people have had an undermount sink installed with a positive reveal and either found or had made cutting boards to fit. That seems like a good way to get a bigger sink while stealing back some of it for prep space as needed. A big sink is so useful, IMO, that I would try for something pretty darn big even in a small kitchen.

• tbb123
    9 years ago

I like your original plan - an L with a dedicated island. Much like The Little House that Writersblock (hi, writersblock!) posted - your layout is better because it respects Ice-Water-Fire. The island is great for directing traffic and giving a 2nd butt a place to be.

Perhaps move the dishwasher to the right of the fridge (if you can still stand in front of the sink.) My longest-occupied-but-least-favorite kitchen had the DW between the sink and the stove and that was a major inconvenience. Would rather have a great set of drawers. Another advantage to that DW placement is the two appliances that need the most clearance from the island are together. Perhaps for such a small household a smaller fridge and DW would do.

Your original question - sink size. IKEA's 24" apron front is a much-loved big sink in a small space. A companion cutting board and colander are available.

• deedles
    9 years ago

What about a dishwasher drawer instead of a full DW? You could have one deep DWD and then grab another smaller storage drawer beneath it. Have you seen those? Fisher and Paykel, right?

I have a 30" wide sink, single basin and it's plenty big enough for me in my little kitchen. I don't think I would want smaller and bigger would be fine but I just couldn't give up anymore cabinet/counter space. That said, I second the idea of having an undermount with a reveal so you can set a cutting board over half the sink. I have that and it is SO handy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Have you considered putting a/the table where you have the island, so then it could serve two purposes? Then, you could run the counters all the way around and have the sink under the windows. I should mention that I am not a huge fan of islands in any kitchen, though.

Love the idea of a dishwasher drawer and an induction cooktop! I would do whatever it takes to get a big sink. I hate not being able to put big pans in my stupid double sink. Cannot wait to redo that. Probably never will, though. Sigh.

Jillius' mock-ups seem to have eliminated bedrooms unless I am not seeing something. Given a choice, I would keep the bedroom and eliminate my kitchen instead! Ha.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I didn't eliminate bedrooms! They are to the left, out of picture in my mock-ups.

She posted two layouts, one zoomed in on the kitchen/living/dining, and one that showed the whole house. I used the former.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I just found a picture of the half wall idea. I don't know if this will confirm or refute how closed up you think it'll make the room feel, but I think it will still feel quite open and have all the same sightlines while allowing for a much more natural living room furniture arrangement, a really great kitchen with a big sink that takes best advantage of your windows and views, and a big table that isn't in the way of anything.

{{gwi:2139161}}

For reference, so you don't have to scroll, here is the suggested layout again:

{{gwi:2139158}}