SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Countertop transition (to whoever emailed me about quartz/bb)

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

Hi! I received a nice email from a gardenwebber but unfortunately I don't know their username and the reply-to option was not enabled on their account (PLEASE NOTE: The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email.)

They asked about the transition from quartz to butcherblock.

My quartz has a pencil edge (slightly rounded) so my contractor made a matching slight round on the butcher block.

I now wish that I had gotten the seams both non-rounded and butted more tightly together as the roundover is a crumb catcher. But it's siliconed so easy enough to sweep the crumbs out.

The cabinet installers installed frames painted to match my cabs under the quartz (on top of base cabs) so it was lifted up to be flush with the thicker butcher block.

There is a tight seam between the two. My contractor just butted them tightly.

If we hadn't raised the quartz, we would have done a chamfered edge on the bb to transition between thicker bb and thinner quartz...but my slide in sink was also as thick as the bb, so we chose to raise quartz instead.

Here's a close up of the seam, paws for scale.

I have also seen really nice kitchens where the thicker butcher block is profiled by raising it up as much as an inch above the thinner stone. I think that looks great and intentional.

Gratuitous more kitchen pics

{{gwi:2138134}}

{{gwi:2138135}}

The tile height at the top of the backsplash is a bit of a bummer, it's really only a half tile. The reason we did it was to match the seams in the backsplash behind the stove. Not sure how I would do it differently now...but happy it matches at the stove area.

{{gwi:2138136}}

Some day I will get my slide in induction stove. I try to make this one die a little faster by slamming the door extra hard and using self clean a lot.
{{gwi:2138137}}

It's important to match your kitchen to your pets.

{{gwi:2138133}}

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 13:29

Comments (12)