SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwjen

Loud "Croak" sound when I turn on a light

GWJen
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have already called an electrician and should get some professional help either tomorrow or Thursday; however, I was wondering if anyone here might have an idea of what could be going on.

About a week ago, when I would turn on my upstairs bathroom fan I would hear a loud croaking sound before it came on. The sound lasts for no more than a second. The fan would still come on normally. I don't know how else to describe the sound except like a frog croaking. It is a deep tone and loud. Definitely not a buzzing or light ticking. Perhaps it could be described as a pop. It does not make the sound every time I turn the fan on, only after it's been a while since it was last turned on and if no other lights close by have been on for a while. At least that seems to be the case.

Then a few days later I noticed the name noise before I turned on the light in the hall right outside that bathroom. Once again, light turns on normally just preceded by a weird noise. If the fan just made the noise, the light won't and vice versa.

Today I heard the sound just before my central air turned on. The HVAC thermostat is located on the wall that supports the stairs and is in close proximity to both of the other lights/fan I just mentioned.

Any idea what this could be? After I heard the noise before the HVAC flipped on I immediately called the electrician to make an appointment. We definitely don't want a fire. Could this be something static related? We have never had an issue before and the house is 35 years old. Any insight would be appreciated. I am really anxious that this will be a costly repair, as I'm due any day now with our first child and this is stressing me out!

Thanks!

Jen

Comments (12)