SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ayimera

Project Priority -- Can't Decide

ked1985
9 years ago

We bought a townhouse a year ago that hadn't been upgraded since it was built in 1989 (except for a few big ticket items like the roof, AC unit, etc). We did a lot of work over the year... replaced all the kitchen appliances and counters (cabinet refinishing a WIP), and a lot of painting, landscaping, etc.

Many of the updates need have been aesthetic, but the master bath needs a complete overhaul (new toilet, shower, drywall work, vanity, lighting, etc.) -- a contractor ball-parked the cost at around $14k... yikes! It's functional atm, just very ugly and inefficient (the vanity is outside the actual "bathroom" and open to the bedroom).

The other project I am considering is removing the main floor carpet because I have terrible allergies and we have 2 cats and a dog. The carpet was put down about 2 years ago, so it's still fairly new, but carpet always seems so... dirty to me. Especially with animals. I'm guessing the area will be about $2500 for laminate wood.

I'm wondering if we should save up for the larger bathroom project, or take that money and spread it across other smaller things in the house. Along with the floors, we need a new hot water heater soon and there are other things like a new vanity in another bathroom and honestly all the toilets could do with being replaced.

How to do you determine what's priority in a place that needs everything done (but not right away)?

Comments (16)