SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01_gw

site finished vs. prefinished hardwoods

daisychain01
9 years ago

I think I should label these posts as fire restoration #1, #2, etc. as I am sure this is just the first in a long list of questions I will be coming to you with.

The house is a 100 year old character home with loads of wide oak millwork. All the floors will be replaced, but the stairs will stay (but be refinished). They are currently a soft gold oak.

The insurance company spec'd prefinished floors, but we have just written to them saying we would prefer site finished. I'm not positive, but my gut is telling me this is worth the fight to get what would have been original to the house. Thoughts?

No matter what if we go site finished or not, what style of hardwoods do you think we should we go with?

I was never a fan of the narrow light maple floor that is there now and always thought I would replace it with wider and darker flooring if I could. I think the maple is not original (probably 40's or 50's), but the light warm colour has kind of grown on me.

My overall goal for the space is to keep it similar, but lighten it up a tad (lighter paint, lighter fabric on slipcovered furniture).

What would you choose for flooring?

Comments (18)