SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Kohler 45 sink question

mrspete
9 years ago

I'm very interested in this sink, but I have a couple questions from y'all experts:

- I'm looking at both the 33" and the 45", but I can only find the overall dimensions. What I want to know is, How much is SINK vs. How much is SHALLOW SHELF?

- I want a small kitchen, and I had been allotting 36" for the sink cabinet. But in pictures, the 33" sink bowl looks a bit . . . piddly small. Is this true, or is it adequate but looking small next to its 45" big brother? I'm thinking that the shallow shelf is the same size on both models, and it's the sink bowl that is different in size; thus, logic would dictate that the 45's sink bowl must be a full 12" larger than the 33's. I think this is a decision that will matter a great deal.

- How deep is the shallow shelf? What I'm really asking is, If you're cutting things on the cutting board, and you want to "sweep them over" with your knife into a waiting casserole dish . . . how deep a dish could you place on the shallow shelf and still be able to "sweep things over" with your knife?

- In all the pictures, the shallow shelf is placed on the left side, but I'm sure you could flip the sink either direction. I'm right handed, and I'm wondering if the shallow shelf would be more handy on the right? Given my overall layout, I'm thinking more prep would happen on the right -- and I'm thinking I'd want the shallow shelf most handy for prep, but I'm open to experienced thoughts!

- I have a long, straight cabinet run. I'm thinking that the dishwasher should go on the side near the deep sink, while drawers with sharp knives and prep items go on the side with the shallow shelf.

- I'm not into modern design, so I don't love the high-tech articulated double faucets that are so often shown with this sink. Nor do I care for high-arch faucets. I'm thinking of a single pull-down faucet in a traditional style. Any thoughts on this choice?

- Any negatives on this sink? I've read some complaints about price, and I've read that some people have had trouble installing it (but I intend to pay a pro, so no big deal to me). Anything bad I ought to weigh in the balance?

- Life expectancy? I don't mind paying a high price for a special, extra-functional sink, but I'd like to hear that it's going to last!

- Best price? Best time to buy? I think it's a decent value for the cost, but I don't want to spend more than is necessary.

Accessory questions:

- How useful are the accessories?

- I'm thinking that cutting board is lovely, but it looks HEAVY. Can any appropriate-length cutting board fit and slide nicely?

- Would it be wise to buy additional prep bowls, etc. in case of breakage? I'm wondering if they'd be available in 10 years or so.

- Are off-brand accessories available?

- I saw another brand of sink that had a kind of "flat colander" that looked quite useful. Not really a question, but I'm thinking I'd like that.

Comments (26)

• Oaktown
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi MrsPete,

The Kohler website has links to .pdfs showing dimensions for both sinks. I linked the one for the 45 below.

I have the 33 used as a prep/pot cleaning sink. It works great (the non-shelf part is ~20") but if it were the only sink in the kitchen I probably would want the 45.

The cutting board indeed is very heavy. Someone recently posted a thread about some IKEA accessories that can be used.

Haven't even opened the boxes with the other accessories, so couldn't say.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Stages 45 dimensions (page 2)

• Related Discussions

Another Kohler Stages 45 Question...

Q

Comments (8)
    I just posted a question about the Kohler 45 . . . so I've been thinking on this subject lately. While yours is a question with loads of wiggle room for personal choices, I have several thoughts on your proposal: This is a sink you buy because you want it to serve you well as you prep food. Yet you're talking about eliminating ALL your adjacent storage for prep items (knives, vegetable peelers, hamburger patty press, and the hundred other items you'd use in prepping food). And you're eliminating your trash can, which is pretty essential for a prep area. In exchange, you're getting a second dishwasher. Essentially what you're doing is setting up your island as a clean-up area . . . but you're filling it with a very expensive prep sink, when a plain old large sink would serve just as well for what you're describing. In conclusion, I'd ask this question: What is the purpose of this area? I think you need to clarify that, and then you'll be prepared to move forward. This post was edited by MrsPete on Wed, Jan 7, 15 at 19:30
    ...See More

Kohler 8 degree and Stages 45 owners- couple of questions

Q

Comments (3)
    I have the Stages. I run the faucet (on spray) around with the grid in to drive all the bits down the disposal. Once in a while I will tilt the grid up to get under it with my brush to drive the recalcitrant bits down the disposal. HTH
    ...See More

Anybody need a Kohler Stages 45 sink rack?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hm...something has changed since we were just GardenWeb. People used to be able to send me messages. Ideas on how to make that happen?
    ...See More

Is it normal / ok to install sink (Kohler stages 45") with no clips

Q

Comments (18)
    My stages 45 was installed by routing ledge for the sink in the plywood subtop so it is squeezed between the stone and plywood. The sink ledge also rests on the divider between two cabinets in the cutout part of my IKEA cabinet. I measured it to be precise. Then after all that, it was strapped by a Hercules system. The strap is only $4. What you have doesn't seem adequate.
    ...See More
  • mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent information -- and so quick!

I'm most happy to learn the dimensions of the shelf and bowl. This has convinced me that the 45" is the right choice.

I'm glad to see the details of your set-up. I definitely like the trash can placement, and I hadn't considered under-the-sink previously. I assume you have a garbage disposal under there too?

And I'm glad to see a colander that works with this sink; I've seen those for sale . . . somewhere, so I know I can come up with one. I am glad to hear that other accessories work well.

I agree that a faucet that can spray to all four corners of the sink is a necessity -- but how does one stand in front of all the choices at Lowes and KNOW which ones can do that? Probably a stupid question!

Thank you both for your information! It was valuable to me!

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Yes, my disposal is on the left. I had my DH install it as far back as possible so I could install the short drawer in front for my cleaning supplies. I have two pull-outs under in the 36" sink cab - very convenient.
    {{gwi:2136924}}

You'll be able to find all the specs for the faucets you're looking at online. You will have more selection and sale pricing at the on-line stores vs Lowes. overstockdeals has 15% off for those that sign up for their email alerts.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That shorty cabinet is a great idea. I don't keep a great stock of cleaning products -- I choose basics and use them for everything.

This space could also be good for trash bags.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another thought:

No one has mentioned the under-cabinet organizer that is designed to hold the accessories.

Like it? Hate it?

• zwizzle
    9 years ago

bbtrix:

I love the pic with your kitchen helper looking on! I have 2 Ragdolls that like to sit on the counter stools watching me prepare dinner or clean up. So nice to look over and see them keeping me company.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Mrs Pete, most of us have decided not to use the under-cabinet organizer and instead to put drawers under that section. I keep the accessories in a wide toekick drawer and they fit very nicely in that shallow drawer.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Can't use the accessory organizer if you notch two cabinets instead of a large custom cab. We had to cut it off. I prefer the drawers too. I did put it to use to organize my tray storage in my large over fridge cab so no waste.

Zwizzle, isn't that true! She loves sitting at the counter watching, especially when I'm preparing tuna steaks or salmon. She's always sitting on the stools because she's protected from her brother, 75 lb chocolate lab pup! He is always underfoot on the stove side while I cook, nose sliding along the edge of the counter checking out what I'm cooking. It can be humorous watching me cook around them.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My conclusions, having read this and studied photographs:

- The accessory thing doesn't seem to be particularly well designed because you'd have to lift out the 6 small bowls to reach the large tray AND it doesn't account for the cutting board.

- It would be cheaper to use the accessory shelf, since it's included in the sink price anyway.

- The built-in shelves (or, in one picture I saw, a pull-out trash can) are a little nicer because you can access items in one pull . . . rather than opening a cabinet and pulling the accessories forward. But they would require a bit of custom cabinetry, which would cost more.

Are my conclusions correct?

And more questions -- I'm full of them, but I'm appreciative of the answers, and I'm using them to form my opinions and make decisions!

- Are y'all installing drawers under the shallow step in STANDARD HEIGHT cabinets? I ask because I read one thread about putting a dishwasher underneath -- but the owners had used a taller cabinet. I'm not quite 5' tall, and I do not want to add even an inch to my cabinet height.

- Why would you use two 24" cabinets instead of buying one 48"? I'm guessing you'd already ordered cabinets when you chose this sink.

- I read about two people who'd used a Dremel tool to cut the hooks from underneath the sink (to allow for drawers). This is do-able without any damage to the sink? Does this void any type of warranty?

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

You can change any cabinet door into a pullout trash using either Ikea or rev a shelf components, I think it is well worth it for the convenience.

{{gwi:2136925}}I have standard height cabinets . The top drawer under the shallow part of the stages sink either needs to have the walls notched or be built with side walls that are not full height. i have the latter but have seen both. See picture above to compare the side walls of the top drawer with the ones below. I have not cut the hooks off my Stages sink since it does not seem to affect function of the top drawer.

Here is an in-process picture of the trash pullout under the deep part of the sink alongside the drawer stack under the shallow part of the sink. You can see how the wall between the two parts is cut down to accommodate the shallow shelf. BTW that big metal contraption on the front wall is the soft close tip out hinge.
    {{gwi:2136926}}

I would prefer a 36 inch cabinet plus a 15 inch cabinet for total 51 inches instead of a 48 inch cabinet. The walls between the 36 inch and the 15 inch cabinet would only have to be cut a little to accommodate the shallow part of the sink and a 15 inch drawer stack has significantly more usable space than a 12 inch drawer stack. Ditch the organizer or use it above the fridge to organize trays as bbtrix did.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Mrs. Pete, the direction you go with the cabinets is up to you and how you'd like your sink command center to function. Cost can be a factor depending on your cabinet source and the customization you choose. Scrappy's beautiful cabinets are custom and mine are DIY Ikea. I used a 36 and 24. Most Stages users have given a lot of thought to the storage functions and have researched as you are. You really can do whatever your pocketbook allows.

My cabinets are standard height too. Here's a shot looking down at the notched sides.
    {{gwi:2136927}}
    The reason the poster with the DW raised it is because the DW was too tall to make it work. Others that have installed the DW under the shelf made sure the DW they chose would fit. That is when you have to cut off the hooks. I was mistaken, DH did not need to cut ours.
    I chose to do pullout drawers because I did already have the 24" cab. It was my original sink cabinet. Believe it or not, I originally only allowed for such a tiny sink. I redesigned my island during the build when I realized how important the sink is. I converted it by ordering the drawers and new hinges.
    {{gwi:2136928}}

I keep all the accessories in the first drawer and rarely need to pull it out; I just reach in. There is room on the bottom for the walnut and other cutting boards.
    {{gwi:2136929}}
    Here is how I use the included shelves in the large, over the fridge cab. It works for me.
    {{gwi:2136930}}
    So, your conclusions are correct. Most of use prefer two cabinets so we can customize storage but it would be cheaper to use the included storage.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent information -- no surprises, just clarifications and confirmation of what I'd already believed. Thanks, this is very helpful, especially the photographs.

I am set on the sink . . . a trash pull-out under the shallow shelf . . . two cabinets joined together so that the trash pull-out doesn't have to be tiny-narrow . . . and moving the included shelf to above the refrigerator. It looks like a decent organizer, just not something for that prime under-sink location.

And -- hear ye, hear ye -- I hereby coin a new word, as yet unknown to kitchen planners: From this moment on, I declare that people who are using this sink shall be referred to as . . . stagers.

Thanks, all.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I'm glad we've been a help to you in your design process!

"I declare that people who are using this sink shall be referred to as . . . stagers." This made me chuckle because I think of that all the time before I start to cook, "how will I stage tonight?" I'm sure that is where the name originated since you have so many options available to set your prep stage depending on what you're cooking.

Welcome, fellow stager!

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

stager- love it!

I would encourage you though to put the pullout trash under the half of the deep part of the sink that does not have the drain hole. That will allow you a drawer bank under the shallow part of the sink, much more utility. The 36 inch part of the cabinet is under the deep part of the sink and the partially included drawer bank is under the shallow part of the sink.
    {{gwi:2136665}}

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Agreed. It will hold two good sized trash containers.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay . . . I'm thinking about it. My plan for under the sink was, um . . . stuff. Yeah, stuff. Maybe some junk. Okay, maybe not my best laid plan.

I was thinking that in that under-sink position you'd have to have a "shorty trash can", not a full sized can that'd hold a tall kitchen bag.

I just tried to measure my own trash can, but it's a fancy model with a step-on pedal and a dog-get-outta-here locking lid. Yeah, when you get a Beagle, it should come with one of these trash cans 'cause you're gonna need one soon enough. It's about 25" tall and definitely wouldn't fit under the sink, but you would never put a locking trash can in a pull-out.

Then I measured my current kitchen cabinet, which I can only assume is standard size, and it seems I'd be able to use a trash can maybe 20" tall. Is that about what y'all are able to use in that spot?

And you have space for two of them back-to-back?

Scrappy, you said you'd prefer a 36" + a 15", and I understand why -- is that what I'm looking at in your white cabinet picture, or is that the recommended 48"? It appears to me to be one cabinet.

Thanks for answering what must seem like rookie questions to you!

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Scrappy and I both have two trash cans back-to-back on the right side of the 36" base. Each trash can can be about 19x10x15. Mine is shorter. I keep trash in the front and recycle in the back. There is also room for additional rolls of bags, deodorizes, etc. I have the shorty on the left side of the 36" base.
    {{gwi:2136931}}

You can choose whatever size for the cabinet to the right of the 36" base - whatever works for your kitchen and needs. Scrappy has a 15" and I have a 24". Scrappy's is custom and appears as one cab (Sigh, I drool over her beautiful cabinetry). You can tell mine are separate cabinets but that wasn't vital to me.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I have been re-sketching my sink run layout thinking that I will get a stages 45. At this point I'm thinking I will get a 48 inch cabinet to house it for two reasons: (1) my sink will be the first thing seen when entering the kitchen from the dining room and it will be centered on some nice new windows, as well as the doorway, so I want the cabinet to be centered as well (this also pays off in a 36 inch drawer cabinet on one side--woohoo) and (2) I plan to put a bunch of stuff under there. Lol.

Here's my tentative stuff plan. On the shallow side, convert the door to a pull out to hold a trash and recycling bin. On the other side, where the drain will be, I plan a compost bin attached to the door and a small laundry basket to hold dirty kitchen rags, dish towels and cloth napkins.

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I've been lurking here, following along on this. I do think this sink rocks. However, I wonder, do you find it difficult to have the garbage basically dead in the center of the sink? It seems like it would be more functional for the prep'er and other coming to use the garbage for it to be on one end or the other?

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

IMO, no it's not at all. In fact, preferred. I can pull it out a few inches and push trash right in. If two are prepping, it's in the middle. If DH needs to toss something while I'm prepping, he can pull it out just a tad and not bother me. With the ability to "stage" where you're prepping, you can easily scoot your prep board over and continue if someone really needs to have it fully open.

We've not found any issues with our setup, whether it's prep, cleanup, or entertaining. My previous double sink was nothing but a cluster *. We were always in each other's way.

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Mrs Pete, I designed the cabinets holding the sink to be 36 + 15 inches but since Dutchwood is full custom they combined the cabinets to reduce wasted space and to allow the wide 45 inch toekick drawer underneath. That perfectly fits the Kohler accessories and a few extra cutting boards.
    {{gwi:2136932}}The divider between the "sink base" and the drawer stack is exactly where the wall would have been between the 36+15 inch cabinets.

I found this picture in my pinterest files of someone who did 36' + 12 " for their Stages 45 sink. The Ikeafans website link no longer works so I will post it here with the words that I copied out of the post. As bbtrix said, you can use almost any width drawer stack under the shallow side of the sink.
    {{gwi:2136933}}

I agree with bbtrix that the center of the sink is the perfect place for the trash. It allows two cooks, one on each side of the sink, or coming from elsewhere in the kitchen to use the trash and the trash drawer is usually open only about 10 inches the whole time we are prepping, since we do not need to access the recycle portion in the back during prepping. Previously, I had a trash mounted on a swing out door and that could not be left open while working at the sink so it was a royal PITA for two cooks or even one cook.
    {{gwi:2136934}}

I actually thought the trash cans were too large at first since I like smaller grocery bags so that the bags are replaced before they get stinky. I solved this by stashing my spare grocery bags under the current trash and the spare paper bags in front of the recycle trash.The front plastic can is about 17 tall x 14 wide x 10 deep at the top.
    {{gwi:2136935}}
    {{gwi:2136936}}

• JazzyzGurl
    7 years ago

I've lurked on here quite a lot and shamelessly stolen the wonderful ideas I've seen in the lovely kitchens you all have created! We are in the details phase of our upcoming remodel (kitchen, master suite, plus two additional bathrooms - and a 'freshen up' of the lower level. Yes, we're insane - lol!) Our project is set to start in two months.

I've already settled on the Stages 45 sink and cannot wait to put it to use! My task right now is to finalize my plan for pull-outs, etc. Here is what I have so far for the area around the sink:

The plan shows cupboards left of the dishwasher, but I'm pretty sure I want drawers.

By paper-towel drawer I mean something like this:

Lincoln Park Residence · More Info

... and by "pull out for knife block" I mean something like this:

DH thinks I'm crazy taking notes when I'm cooking and pretending things are in places they are not (yet!) to figure out if where I'm intending things to go will really work for us.

For those who've been down the kitchen-remodel road before - how does this look so far?

• amyfgib
    7 years ago

Jazzyzgurl, you will probably get more responses if you start your own thread. People who are not Stages-obsessed may not read to the bottom!

• JazzyzGurl
    7 years ago

Thank you, amyfgib! I felt guilty after I posted here, not wanting to hijack the thread. I took your recommendation and started a new thread :)

• suzanne_sl
    7 years ago

But as long as this thread was resurrected, I will add this: While many don't use the heavy cutting board, I find that I just leave it in place most of the time. I use it multiple times of day for all sorts of little tasks. When I need the shallow shelf I can either scoot the cutting board over or take it out. It does have a home under the sink, I just don't put it there often. So handy!

The trays, bowls, and colendars live in a bottom drawer in the island directly behind where I stood to take this photo. They all get used regularly, just not as often as the cutting board. (We went with 36" and 18" cabinets. In the right hand cabinet we have a knife drawer and a trash pullout. The drawer didn't need any modification for install, but it was close.)

P.S. This is a Hansgrohe faucet from Costco that covers all corners of this sink. It's very splashy. I wouldn't do it again. In a previous large sink we had a $125 faucet from Home Depot that was great and didn't get me all wet. I may get annoyed enough to replace this one eventually.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH