SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mare_wbpa

I've Got A Broken Ankle

mare_wbpa
9 years ago

On Christmas Day I went to the cemetery where my sister is buried to put a Christmas log on her grave. While walking from the car to her grave I stepped into a hole approx 8-10 inches deep, and went down like a ton of bricks. I didn't know it was a hole because it was filled with leaves. I knew I injured my ankle as I was having difficulty getting up. Thank goodness that my niece was there to help me. It hurt like heck when I put any wt on it, but I thought it was a bad sprain. Who wants to spend Christmas in the ER, when I had plans to have Christmas dinner with my son, his wife and other family members. My birthday falls between Christmas and New Years, and other holiday festivities caused me to convince myself that the ankle was only sprained even after it was swollen to twice it's size and turned all kinds of colors from the heel to toes, top and bottom. After 12 days of pain, I finally called the ortho yesterday and got an appt for today. The X-ray was clear that the smaller bone in the lower leg was broken, but in good alignment. The ortho doesn't think that any tendons or ligaments are involved. He put on an air cast, which I can walk with and remove to sleep and shower. I feel so lucky that I didn't need a plaster cast and crutches. I live alone in a house with steps. I would have been in big trouble. I think that the thought of being in a cast and on crutches kept me from seeing the Ortho for so long. The bottom line is that I've been walking around on a broken ankle for 12 days. What a Christmas present and way to start the New Year, but it could've been worse. Looking on the bright side, maybe it was a Christmas present after all.

Comments (19)