SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Cats stopped eating dry food

Jasdip
9 years ago

My 3 cats have always eaten Friskies dry food (yeah, I know, but they loved it). They're healthy, active with shiny coats. They get canned food first thing in the morning. Free-feeding.

I don't know if Purina changed their formula but now they won't eat any of the flavours. I've been trying different kinds of dry food (good quality, from the pet store). Royal Canin, Merrick's grain free, another brand made locally that is healthy and also grain free, and a supermarket brand that is good quality (President's Choice).

When I bring new food home, I give them some kernels and they gobble it up, then the next day and every day since, they won't touch it. Thank heavens for refunds!!!

I'm at my wits end, so I'm feeding them canned food at our dinner time as well. They've never been given canned food at nite, so they don't know what to think.

I want them to keep eating dry, and would love them to like the grain-free. Merrick's is supposed to be very palatable to them, but my cats aren't the norm, apparently.

Would you not bother with the dry, and just feed canned? I've heard that any canned even the low-quality is better than the best dry, since they're carnivores, but I'd like them to eat dry again.

Comments (19)