SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sixtyohno

Changes. Where and when do you stop?

sixtyohno
9 years ago

I originally put this on the decorating site, thinking it replied to the OP, but the discussion changed to pops of color, so I deleted it. I am interested in what GWs think,
Years ago I read an article in the New Yorker that said that people shut down various tastes at all different ages and are not open to trying anything new. That includes music, types of books, colors, styles, types of clothing, travel, political leaning etc. They go to the same resort every year, or re paint with the same color, or have the same routines over and over. One is satisfied and doesn't need to look further. This is not a negative. It implies comfort and satisfaction, but one might be missing something good. One can shut down to new in a area at 18 or at 88. It is personal and fine.
My music ended with the Beatles. I am not interested in listening to most of what came after them. Sometimes I hear something by accident and I like it, but that's rare and I rarely pursue it. The same with classical music. I listen to Beethoven, but never ever John Adams. I still mostly read what I call contemporary literature and except for loving mauve for a brief time in the 70s my colors are pretty much the same, except that green entered about 25 years ago.
I do really love the digital age. Some people I know would not go near the internet except to get occasional info or shop. Luckily I am not one of them. They would never dream of reading an eBook, or heaven forbid looking at YouTube, or reading the news on line. They have stopped and they are satisfied with their choices.
I think some people including me, are happy with what they have. My house, furniture and decorations please me. I do replace when things wear out. I change out photos and I add pillows and souvenirs when we travel. i recovered chairs in a new color. I collect Japanese lusterware vases and teapots so that expands. I do wear leggings, which were not available years ago and I stopped straightening my hair 40 years ago. But the basic look is the same.
If someone buys new furniture and it makes them happy, that's fine. Change wall colors. At sometime it stops. Soon for some people, much later for others. All good.
What do you think?

Comments (25)