SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Lobster Mac and Cheese

bob_cville
9 years ago

I'm visiting my wife's family in Maine, there were eight of us on Friday and more arriving every day. Another brother-in-law and I were nominated to be in charge of all the cooking. He wanted to make something special on Friday for his son's birthday and he and I were making various suggestions, none of which were hitting the mark, until I suggested lobster mac and cheese.

I assumed that Eric would be cooking it since it was his son's birthday, and since he's generally a better cook than me, but as we were getting ready to go shopping he said "Well, I've never made lobster mac and cheese so you are in charge tonight." I read a few recipes, and set off for the store, bought various ingredients, came home read a few more recipes, and started cooking. I also made steamed broccoli, warmed a loaf of bread, and made a salad with my father-in-law's homemade vinaigrette.

The result was fantastic.

As best as I can remember the following was the as-cooked recipe.

Lobster Mac and Cheese

serves 10

1 1/2 lb fresh cooked lobster meat (chopped)
1 1/2 lb campanelle pasta
8 oz Vermont sharp cheddar (grated fine)
8 oz Fontina cheese (grated fine)
8 oz Creme Fraiche
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup wondera flour
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 1/2 shallots (chopped fine)
1 stick butter
8 crimini mushrooms (sliced thin)
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 cup of pinot grigio wine

pre-heat oven to 350 deg F

boil large pot of water, add pasta, cook until al dente.

cut larger pieces of lobster into 1/2 pieces.

melt butter in large pan. add shallots, mushrooms and garlic, dijon mustard, cayenne pepper, and white pepper. Cook until shallots and mushrooms are softened.

Add flour and stir until flour is absorbed into the butter. Add milk, and stir until the sauce thickens. Add 1 cup of wine, creme fraiche and stir the creme fraiche into the sauce.

Add the cheeses 1 handful at a time, stirring until it is melted, and then adding more. If the sauce becomes too thick, add more of the white wine.

Place drained noodles in large baking dish. Add sauce and lobster meat. Stir gently until well mixed, top with bread crumbs.

Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the tops are lightly gold. Serve.

Comments (10)