SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

cross post: kitchen lighting - please help ASAP

lmgch
9 years ago

Originally posted this in Kitchens and was reminded that there�s actually a lighting forum!

So electricians have started our rough in, but I�m feeling very unsettled with the plans and need some help/guidance.

The attached image is the architect's plan, which is outdated in some ways, but the only printed plan I�ve go with lighting marked out.

Relevant changes to drawn plan include:
1. island is now 87" (and the aisles are 41" or 42").
2. there will be three pendants over the island
3. kitchen table is 72"x42" - definitely larger than the one he marked out

my questions are:
1. For sure, we�re not going down the center of the aisles with the can lights. However, exact placement is a question for me. Electrician is suggesting 30" off the wall. Our aisles are either 41" or 42" � I can�t remember. Does 30" off the wall sound about right? I don�t want to create shadows on my counter tops. But I also don�t want the center of the kitchen to end up too dim.

2. do you think six recessed lights (6" cans) around the kitchen "proper" (three on each side of island) are sufficient, or should I add a fourth can to each long side? (plan already calls for a dedicated light over the sink as well)

3. should I add a can to each short end of the island?

4. do you have any ideas for table placement and subsequent lighting placement. we tried to mark it out today on the sub-floor and it just all looked awkward. i can't tell if we should keep the orientation to match the direction of the island or flip it to be perpendicular. we are doing six seats, no benches. no matter where i saw the mark out on the floor, it seemed/felt like it might be tight to get around since it is sitting right in the middle of this space.

GC is suggesting that maybe we intentionally shift the table toward the stairs to the basement, eliminating a walkway (leaving space only for chairs to move out for sitting). and therefore open up the space in front and sort of direct traffic more intentionally. I'm not sure how i feel about that. I really don't love the idea, quite honestly. KD says "no." but hasn't come up with a better solution yet.

I need to figure this out because it will determine the placement of the box for the over-table fixture. and will also affect the placement of other recessed lights.
I hope this all makes sense. I could really use some help. My KD is cautioning against putting in too much lighting - says we don't want to look like we're in the circus.

thanks so much

Comment (1)