SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kangadr

Just don't know what to do...stuck on an island!

Kanga
9 years ago

Literally, I am stuck on my island!
I recently gave my kitchen a facelift by updating my faucet and hardware, putting in granite countertops and a granite sink, and installing a tumbled marble backsplash...complete with a wall medallion. My final project was/is the island. It is adhered to the floor and, until recently, looked like an ugly white box in the middle of my kitchen. I added columns and bead board to make it look more like a piece of French country furniture. However, I'm stuck on the paint. As it stands (per the attached photo), it is painted with a sheepskin (cream) chaulk paint and distressed so the dark wood peeks out. (I will try to upload more pics in the comments).I was planning on antiquing it with a dark wax, but I'm afraid that will ruin it. I kept the bead board white to match the island's cabinet doors and drawers. So, my question is...do I leave it as is (minus the nice blue painters tape as seen in photo), antique the columns and frame portion with dark wax, paint the breadboard a different color, or simply start over? My goal is to have it compliment my kitchen, but at the same time appearing to be an old piece of furniture. Ugh! Please help and be brutaly honest!!! Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (54)