SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

house unoccupied for 4 years, bad for hvac?

cindywhitall
9 years ago

My 24yo son wants to buy a short sale. It has been vacant for up to 4 years. We know that it was winterized in 2013 (there might also be a sticker for 2012-not sure) but the owner died Jan 2011.

It appears it wasn't initially winterized due to the opening in the living room ceiling, it looks like a bathroom pipe had burst, prompting the winterization.

Aside from the obvious issues (plumbing) is there any major risk to the hvac due to lack of use/winter/etc? All I know right now is that the outdoor part looks pretty old, and the indoor part has a date on it of 2004. Don't know if the ac was done, or just the furnace in 2004. It is natural gas.

We are asking for the utilities to be turned on to inspect, but as of now it is unclear if they can be. I thought about using a generator to power the furnace and a/c to test (but then realized they may be hardwired to the elec panel). Can testing be done without gas/electric turned on? I doubt it, but I think I read somewhere of a person who " knew" someone who could test it. Also, if he makes an offer that is accepted quickly, can the ac be tested in the middle of a NJ winter?

Thanks for any advice. This is our son's first home so we want to give him good advice. Of course the realtor would have him think it's all fine....just cosmetic you know...

Comments (13)