SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newtalk

Heat Pump Upgrade/Proper Sizing

newtalk
9 years ago

It seems that heat pumps are often cooling oversized in heating dominant locations. For example, our system from 2001 (single speed compressor, variable speed air, R22) was sized at 2.5 tons for our 2,200 sf. split level home. This seems to work fine for coming through the coldest winter months (last January) where the heat pump and backup strips put out app. 13K-16K BTUs per hour with the strips locked out to 5F. The issue, of course, is oversizing during the AC season with short cycling and less than ideal dehumidification.

Have the new variable speed compressor heat pumps, with greater heat output (HSPF 13), solved this problem? For example, the Bryant 280ANV Evolution/Carrier Greenspeed 2 ton models have a heating capacity curve that looks similar to our 2.5 ton Carrier system (38YRA030320, 40FKA002-300). I haven't actually seen the exact curve for our system combination with R22, so I'm approximating from similar early 2000 heating curves published for the 38YRA.

Ideally, we would like a system where we can leave the low speed fan on year round to prevent our lower level from becoming too cool and still have proper 50%-60% humidity levels. I assume this means the AC function will have to run fairly constantly and not short cycle? That said, maybe all the condensate is draining off the coil when the fan stop blowing and oversizing is not a big deal? The blower is above the coil and it pulls air upward. The water pours out when the fan stops. The fan coil sits in the lower level of the house.

Maybe the heat pump technology will get even better in the next few years? Should we consider a Panasonic Mini-Split with ducting option? I love how quiet the mini-split outdoor units run during cold weather, although I'm not sure how well they do for dehumidification.

Comments (11)